Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM

175 posts, read 373,712 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation for our family. We are looking for a better job market and both cities seem to be good fits there. What I was wondering is which city is the best for families? We have a 3-year old and 1 1/2 year old. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Which is best for families? 6 one way, half a dozen the other. They are identical in that regard.

Which has the better job market? Dallas.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Both are great options. Dallas has the better economy but Atlanta is now doing very well. Unemployment is now at 7.9% way down from the 10% it was at in 2009. If you are in IT, Entertainment, Management, Medical or the Transportation industry, you will not have a problem finding a job in Atlanta.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Without more personal requirements the question is like asking which coffee cup does my latte taste better in? The red or the white?

Both have their pros and cons but way to similar in amenities for families to distinguish.

btw, if you are wondering, I prefer the latte in the white cup

Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM

My husband is in accounting and we will be relocating from the Nashville area. We think we have narrowed it down tothese two cities so I just wanted thoughts on the areas. We are somewhat familiar with Atlanta but never been to Dallas. Does that help?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Also I'm a stay at home mom, so I would love some family friendly suburb suggestions as well.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
I have to agree with the previous comments...both are great cities and both have great quality of life for families. It just depends on which you like better personally. The climates and geography are fairly different, if that matters to you at all.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahope1980 View Post
My husband is in accounting and we will be relocating from the Nashville area. We think we have narrowed it down tothese two cities so I just wanted thoughts on the areas. We are somewhat familiar with Atlanta but never been to Dallas. Does that help?
What do you want in a place to live other than simply being in a suburb? If a family friendly suburb is all you require, those are available almost anywhere in the US and Dallas and Atlanta have tons of them.

You could throw the names into a hat and pick one if that is all you require.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Ok I didn't know my question was so hard. I just wondered which city you would rather raise your kids in. I know nothing about Dallas except it's hot. I know a little more about Atlanta but I didn't know how it compared to Dallas. I just don't understand why some, not all, of the posters are being so rude. Just don't write on the thread if you don't want to. I do appreciate those that took the time to respond nicely. I guess my biggest questions are how unbearable is the heat in Dallas, how is the economy and is it overall a good place to live for families. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Don't think anyone has been rude. Afterall, they are offering free advice.

But basically a burb is a burb is a burb. They will offer pretty much the same things except for a few minor differences.

If you are not concerned with these minor differences then they are practically identical.

Now if you want oddballs like taller trees then we can point you towards Atlanta, you want good Laotian food we can point you to Dallas.

Other than that you are asking us to find differences that are too general.

They both offer similar things for raring the kiddos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City