Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times

Advertisements

Well whether the books are useful or not or whether that person is a foodie or not I know some that routinely buy Michelin, zagat wine guides etc... It implies a certain interest in the areas... Esp of they are sitting on your book shelf or office desk. Stereotypes often have some basis, good or bad... People in sf and NYC as well as Chicago like to show off their books and from my perception just more into book culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM

37,191 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No your saying what makes you feel good, and it's moot anyway since the company and its leader already told us their reasons.
I don't see why bad book sales are making me feel good. I said that he has an interpretation of why book sales are bad (because people in LA are not real foodies). That might be one of many reasons, but the reasons all go to support poor sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is it an intuitive leap to say Los Angeles has plenty of restaurants but their population doesn't read as much as the other 3 city bases...books in general.
Maybe. That's another possible explanation/contributing factor to why the guides didn't sell well. Another is that the recession hit LA (and Las Vegas) much harder than it did NYC, Chicago, or SF which would drive down interest in fine dining (and book sales regarding fine dining). There's myriad explanations for it.

Anyhow, what do you think is a good implementation of these guides? Yelp is good to some extent, but it has a lot of noise and it's applying the same sort of point system to all kinds and tiers of restaurants.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Yelp has too many fake accounts and the restaurant owners often offer people free meals for better ratings. I think yelp is better at judging the service of staff and cleanliness... People more often leave bad ratings on there when service is horrible or they saw a roach crawl from the kitchen instead of quality judgments on food.

The Michelin guides aren't all fine dining, I have the SF guide sitting right here, for the peninsula neighborhood they have El Farolito listed...I would say the bulk of the guides is just good food in general, the starred stuff is just a bonus, maybe only 10% of the guide.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't see why bad book sales are making me feel good. I said that he has an interpretation of why book sales are bad (because people in LA are not real foodies). That might be one of many reasons, but the reasons all go to support poor sales.
It is of zero consequence to me what you choose to believe, but the people at Michelin and their boss have already said all that matters with respect to why they shelved their LA guide.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,568,190 times
Quote:
I said that he has an interpretation of why book sales are bad
You-know-who will refuse to acknowledge the existence of any distinction between the interpretation from what it interprets if it's that's the last thing she ever types. Step one: imply syntactical ambiguity where none actually exists, step two: assign it to the weight of the opinion; step three: disavow that opinion; step four: deny any error in step one.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You-know-who will refuse to acknowledge the existence of any distinction between the interpretation from what it interprets if it's that's the last thing she ever types. Step one: imply syntactical ambiguity where none actually exists, step two: assign it to the weight of the opinion; step three: disavow that opinion; step four: deny any error in step one.
LOL all of this blathering because you guys just can't accept simple facts. I'm sorry it's that difficult.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Well whether the books are useful or not or whether that person is a foodie or not I know some that routinely buy Michelin, zagat wine guides etc... It implies a certain interest in the areas... Esp of they are sitting on your book shelf or office desk. Stereotypes often have some basis, good or bad... People in sf and NYC as well as Chicago like to show off their books and from my perception just more into book culture

Attached Thumbnails
2014 Michelin Star and Bib Gourmand Guides Recognize 420 Restaurants in NY, Chicago and SF-books.jpg  

Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM

Is that Atlanta for that weird rave mysterland or fantasyland can't remember the name... I have seen a similar setup in Europe

http://www.discodemons.net/2012/08/0...land-festival/

Nm just looked closer...on phone

Kansas city??? Where is that

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM

37,191 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Yelp has too many fake accounts and the restaurant owners often offer people free meals for better ratings. I think yelp is better at judging the service of staff and cleanliness... People more often leave bad ratings on there when service is horrible or they saw a roach crawl from the kitchen instead of quality judgments on food.

The Michelin guides aren't all fine dining, I have the SF guide sitting right here, for the peninsula neighborhood they have El Farolito listed...I would say the bulk of the guides is just good food in general, the starred stuff is just a bonus, maybe only 10% of the guide.
Yea, I have the same issues with yelp. I guess fine dining is too restrictive a term, but everything's at least a nicr sitdown restaurant save for the occasional diversity inclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It is of zero consequence to me what you choose to believe, but the people at Michelin and their boss have already said all that matters with respect to why they shelved their LA guide.
I think you got it backwards. They pulled out of the market because of poor sales (i.e. the Michelin guide is losing millions every year), and the boss gave his reasoning for why those sales were so poor. This isn't rocket science here.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
This isn't rocket science here.
Ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City