Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater Downtown Boston or Greater Downtown San Francisco
Greater Downtown Boston 57 54.29%
Greater Dowtown San Francisco 48 45.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 AM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this comparison has been done before- if so, forgive.

For Boston include the Financial District, Chinatown, North End, West End, South End, and all of Back Bay

For San Francisco include the Financial District, Tenderloin, Chinatown, Nob Hill, and South of Market

Compare the two districts (not entire cities, but merely the aforementioned 2 districts of the respective cities) on mixed use development, cohesiveness, evenness of street level vibrance/pedestrian activity, ease of transportation between subsections of the regions, and general aesthetic qualities

Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 AM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times
I simply picked the greater downtown region of Boston largely because of liking the layout and vibe of Back Bay. I also find that the mini-parks interspersed through Back Bay and downtown Boston make it a bit more comfortable than downtown SF.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM

592 posts, read 828,691 times
Vibrancy- San Francisco
Tourist amenities- San Francisco
Cleanliness- Boston
Transportation- Boston

San Francisco makes a decent claim for third best downtown in the US. Boston makes a decent claim for top 5 or 6.

Last edited by JMT; 12-21-2013 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Please read the forum rules. No skyline discussions.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
SF is a bit busier and exciting, diverse, gritty... I like Boston's old charm, architecture and streets better though. One things for sure, this makes far more sense than the SF vs NYC thread going on...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM

82 posts, read 128,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Perhaps this comparison has been done before- if so, forgive.

For Boston include the Financial District, Chinatown, North End, West End, South End, and all of Back Bay

For San Francisco include the Financial District, Tenderloin, Chinatown, Nob Hill, and South of Market

Compare the two districts (not entire cities, but merely the aforementioned 2 districts of the respective cities) on mixed use development, cohesiveness, evenness of street level vibrance/pedestrian activity, ease of transportation between subsections of the regions, and general aesthetic qualities
I'd say Boston, but both SF and Boston have amazing downtown areas.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 PM

233 posts, read 369,037 times
Greater DT Boston might include parts of the south end, cambridge, sommerville and the south boston waterfront. San Francisco's tenderloin is really a dumpy, high crime area, and chinatown is filled with giftshops. Boston is much bigger and has far better public transportation over its greater DT.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
SF is a bit busier and exciting, diverse, gritty... I like Boston's old charm, architecture and streets better though. One things for sure, this makes far more sense than the SF vs NYC thread going on...
Boston (entire city proper) is more diverse! (I wouldn't know the numbers for the areas defined in OP, however. The South End, Chinatown, the West End, and DTX are pretty diverse, but the North End, Beacon Hill, and Back Bay are less diverse...maybe the 5 neighborhoods in SF are more diverse than those given for Boston...)

Boston can also be very gritty (perhaps moreso outside of the area defined in the OP, but Chinatown & DTX & that area is gritty enough), but I'm not sure if it's grittier overall...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Boston (entire city proper) is more diverse! (I wouldn't know the numbers for the areas defined in OP, however. The South End, Chinatown, the West End, and DTX are pretty diverse, but the North End, Beacon Hill, and Back Bay are less diverse...maybe the 5 neighborhoods in SF are more diverse than those given for Boston...)

Boston can also be very gritty (perhaps moreso outside of the area defined in the OP, but Chinatown & DTX & that area is gritty enough), but I'm not sure if it's grittier overall...
def not in scenario OP proposed, esp b/c tenderloin, soma and chinatown are included for SF

Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,308 times
This is very close, and a very good comparison.

Two great cities, and a reasonable person could go with either city. I honestly can't decide. If I had to decide, I would go with Boston, maybe, by a tiny whisker, because of the stronger historical stock and transit infrastructure.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
It's a tie with maybe SF winning in urbanity while Boston wins in the historical charm dept. One thing I honestly didn't like about SF was the hillyness of some of the streets. I can't imagine living on a street with a 45 degree incline to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City