Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city fits me?
New York City 6 16.67%
Los Angeles 5 13.89%
Chicago 10 27.78%
Houston 7 19.44%
Philadelphia 6 16.67%
Austin 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM

136 posts, read 134,217 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to these forums. I'm an 18 year old from Ft. Worth thinking about moving to a larger city. I don't feel I identify with the culture/atmosphere here and seriously need a change.

I'm white, but growing up low-class and all, I share deeper connections with black culture (though many of my good friends are Mexican). I'm an aspiring hip-hop artist who enjoys diverse culture, a strong music/art scene and a vibrant nightlife. Crime rate isn't really a concern, neither is family orientation. I prefer for people to be open-minded and somewhat relaxed, though I realize the latter may be hard to find in a large city. I'm not very religious, and don't identify with conservatives or liberals. I'm very physically active and love running/biking, as I'm not a huge fan of driving (strange, I know). I would prefer a wide range of activities/scenery. Being from Texas, I'm not very used to cold weather or ice, but I'm sure I'd be fine as long as I fit with the city's personality. Close proximity to other large cities would be a plus, same with good restaurants and coffeehouses (clubs are cool too). I'm also fine with indie culture, just no cowboy/country mindset, haha. I'm more into city lights, nice sense of variety, and more technology-based living.

Do any of these cities fit this description in particular? Thanks, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM

202 posts, read 320,664 times
For music, as you probably know Houston's underground rap scene is one of the best things in hip hop over the past 15 years or so, la, nyc are obvious with rap Chicago is pretty underrated for it's city size Philadelphia doesn't get much shine and I have no idea about Austins music outside of like alt rock. As far as everything else besides driving you described Austin and Los Angeles

Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM

646 posts, read 927,448 times
if COL is important then Houston no doubt

Old 12-15-2013, 12:04 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,523,774 times
Of the choices you've mentioned, I think Philadelphia would be the best. It's cost of living is low, relative to New York and DC, yet it's close to both. It's very diverse, tons of great food, and a vibrant hip-hop culture. Plus, the people there are pretty down to earth. Some neighborhoods to look into would be North Liberties, Rittenhouse Square, and Bella Vista.

My second choice would be Chicago, which offers something for everyone. Chicago has more nice areas than Philly, but with that comes more materialism and superficiality. Though I do like Chicago as a whole, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, and the Gold Coast are full of some of the most image-conscious, self-centered people I've met in my entire life. There's a huge club scene in Chicago, bigger than Philly's, but you may find yourself as being the small fish in a big pond, so to speak. My favorite neighborhoods are Ravenswood, Andersonville, Logan Square, and Lincoln Square.

Other options:
The Twin Cities: Great music/club scene and surprisingly diverse. Surprisingly vibrant hip-hop scene. Tons of independent coffee shops. Great economy. Some great neighborhoods include Wittier, Uptown, Northeast (my favorite), and Dinkytown in Minneapolis; and the Merriam Park and Selby-Dale neighborhoods in Saint Paul.

Cleveland: One of the most underrated cities in the country, imo. Very low cost of living, and the downtown area is revitalizing quite nicely. I'd checkout the Ohio City neighborhood.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-15-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM

765 posts, read 900,203 times
Maybe Atlanta, Oakland would be good too.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM

646 posts, read 927,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Of the choices you've mentioned, I think Philadelphia would be the best. It's cost of living is low, relative to New York and DC, yet it's close to both. It's very diverse, tons of great food, and a vibrant hip-hop culture. Plus, the people there are pretty down to earth. Some neighborhoods to look into would be North Liberties, Rittenhouse Square, and Bella Vista.

My second choice would be Chicago, which offers something for everyone. Chicago has more nice areas than Philly, but with that comes more materialism and superficiality. Though I do like Chicago as a whole, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, and the Gold Coast are full of some of the most image-conscious, self-centered people I've met in my entire life. There's a huge club scene in Chicago, bigger than Philly's, but you may find yourself as being the small fish in a big pond, so to speak. My favorite neighborhoods are Ravenswood, Andersonville, Logan Square, and Lincoln Square.

Other options:
The Twin Cities: Great music/club scene and surprisingly diverse. Surprisingly vibrant hip-hop scene. Tons of independent coffee shops. Great economy. Some great neighborhoods include Wittier, Uptown, Northeast (my favorite), and Dinkytown in Minneapolis; and the Merriam Park and Selby-Dale neighborhoods in Saint Paul.

Cleveland: One of the most underrated cities in the country, imo. Very low cost of living, and the downtown area is revitalizing quite nicely. I'd checkout the Ohio City neighborhood.
cleveland is a dying city

Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
If you don't mind a high cost of living, try LA. No better place to be if you're an artist.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,523,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
cleveland is a dying city
Could you elaborate, please? When was the last time you were there?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,601,978 times
Seattle.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
Seattle has black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City