Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 PM

9 posts, read 35,005 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of comparisons between cities but I wanted to toss out my story and see if anyone has any advice. My husband and I have two boys and we live away from family in Charlotte. We really like Charlotte and are not necessarily looking to leave; however, there is a possible opportunity that I may be able to return to my prior company. There are things I miss about my old company but again we were not really looking to leave. We haven't lived in Charlotte a long time and we have met some nice people but I feel like there is something missing.

Now we have the opportunity to move to Denver or Nashville. We have family in Denver and it is always nice to think about how we can celebrate holidays with the family and have family around for everyday occasions. We also know a few people in Denver so that is a nice thought. Nashville, on the other hand, we have always liked, we know a couple people that live there, and it would at least make the travel back to see family in Minnesota/Wisconsin a little easier.

Since we grew up with winter we are not against it but we have also been away from winter for 7 years. I like four seasons and scenery. We also enjoy wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. I have heard that when it snows in Denver it could also melt and warm up right away. I have watched the weather and it seems like it could be snowing one day and hot the next. We figure Nashville weather is fairly similar to Charlotte weather. Does the snow stay for a long time? Is travelling around Colorado via car easy?

What we don't like about Charlotte is the humidity which tends to bring the bugs and allergies.

What we are looking for is a family area; good schooling for our boys; activities and sports. Every city really has the same things. We want to meet people that are open to new people and new friends. We want to join groups and play in adult softball and bowling leagues. We want to enjoy the outdoors and have our windows open. When it gets hot and humid, it is tough to go outside and enjoy the weather.

We are nervous about winter and being landlocked but at the same time we are open to something new and as I said before, family is such a soothing thought. We also know flights from Denver are not too bad to Minnesota.

I was hoping people might have opinions on Denver vs. Nashville or if Charlotte in the end is the better place. Any comments about weather, traffic, activities, people, family things, housing, property taxes, vehicle tax, etc. I just want to know as much as I can so we can make the best decision for us. Thank You!!

Last edited by Dreamer24; 06-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Add more
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer24 View Post
Nashville, on the other hand, we have always liked, we know a couple people that live there, and it would at least make the travel back to see family in Minnesota/Wisconsin a little easier.
Minnesota/Wisconsin is still quite a drive from Nashville (unless you're talking about the Milwaukee area).

It would probably be best to fly. There is a non-stop to Minneapolis, but nothing to Wisconsin (Chicago being the closest place).

Quote:
We figure Nashville weather is fairly similar to Charlotte weather. Does the snow stay for a long time?

What we don't like about Charlotte is the humidity which tends to bring the bugs and allergies.
Yes, Nashville's weather would be more similar to Charlotte. The complaints about bugs and allergies would largely be true for both cities. It doesn't snow a lot in Nashville...typically just a dusting, but occasionally the 1-2" snowfall. Rarely there are "bigger" storms that drop 6" or so. The city is ill-equipped to handle big snows.

Quote:
What we are looking for is a family area; good schooling for our boys; activities and sports. Every city really has the same things. We want to meet people that are open to new people and new friends. We want to join groups and play in adult softball and bowling leagues. We want to enjoy the outdoors and have our windows open. When it gets hot and humid, it is tough to go outside and enjoy the weather.

I was hoping people might have opinions on Denver vs. Nashville or if Charlotte in the end is the better place. Any comments about weather, traffic, activities, people, family things, housing, property taxes, vehicle tax, etc. I just want to know as much as I can so we can make the best decision for us. Thank You!!
No income tax in Tennessee, but pretty high sales tax (9.25%-9.75% on most items, 7.5-8% on food, depending on the county). Wheel tax varies a bit by county. The range in the Nashville metro area is $44-109 per year. Most are $70-80, with Nashville's being $79. There is no value-added tax on vehicles or other personal property. Property taxes also vary by both county and city. The range varies from $2.02 to $4.91 per $100 of assessed value, with the lesser rates being in unincorporated areas of counties. Assessed value is 25% of the appraised value of the property. So, for a $200,000 house, the assessed value would be $50,000, and at the low end ($2.02), your property taxes would be $1,010. At the high end ($4.91), your tax bill would be $2,455.

The median home price in the Nashville metro area is nearly identical that of Charlotte. Denver is significantly higher.

Nashville and Charlotte are certainly not the same, but much more similar to each other than they are to Denver. So I think it boils down to Denver vs. Charlotte OR Nashville.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Thank you for the response. We had to order our choices so we did pick Denver first and then Nashville. We are having a hard time thinking about leaving Charlotte but know that there are not many opportunities that happen to be near family. Is family enough to take the opportunity? We know the grass is not any greener any where else. We just want to enjoy life and our suroundings which in turn will make us happy.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Thank you for the response. We had to order our choices so we did pick Denver first and then Nashville. We are having a hard time thinking about leaving Charlotte but know that there are not many opportunities that happen to be near family. Is family enough to take the opportunity? We know the grass is not any greener any where else. We just want to enjoy life and our suroundings which in turn will make us happy.
I think you should go with Denver based on your criteria. Having family is a huge plus in my opinion. I also thin Denver has what the other two offer (and maybe more).

Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:
I know there are a lot of comparisons between cities but I wanted to toss out my story and see if anyone has any advice. My husband and I have two boys and we live away from family in Charlotte. We really like Charlotte and are not necessarily looking to leave; however, there is a possible opportunity that I may be able to return to my prior company. There are things I miss about my old company but again we were not really looking to leave. We haven't lived in Charlotte a long time and we have met some nice people but I feel like there is something missing.

Now we have the opportunity to move to Denver or Nashville. We have family in Denver and it is always nice to think about how we can celebrate holidays with the family and have family around for everyday occasions. We also know a few people in Denver so that is a nice thought. Nashville, on the other hand, we have always liked, we know a couple people that live there, and it would at least make the travel back to see family in Minnesota/Wisconsin a little easier.

Since we grew up with winter we are not against it but we have also been away from winter for 7 years. I like four seasons and scenery. We also enjoy wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. I have heard that when it snows in Denver it could also melt and warm up right away. I have watched the weather and it seems like it could be snowing one day and hot the next. We figure Nashville weather is fairly similar to Charlotte weather. Does the snow stay for a long time? Is travelling around Colorado via car easy?

We are nervous about winter and being landlocked but at the same time we are open to something new and as I said before, family is such a soothing thought. We also know flights from Denver are not too bad to Minnesota.

If the only two reasons you're considering leaving are a possible job with your former and the humidity/bugs, I wouldn't leave.

As said before, Nashville and Charlotte are similar in the weather regard. Each city holds their own, and it's truly down to what you and your family prefer. It sounds like you really like Charlotte and are very happy there. If that's the case, don't leave.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 PM

367 posts, read 995,916 times
Nashville is very progressive...check out the new Music City Center if you're ever here

Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
I think it is fairly clear that Denver trumps the other 2 cities in most areas. Plus you have Family hear! Its a win win!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 PM

Hello - That is the toughest choice we have to make: be close to family or stay where we are. I just don't want us or our kids to miss out on memories with the family. I would love to hear more about what people like and don't like about Denver and Nashville. Also:

Weather
Traffic
Activities
Schools
Food
Ease of Meeting People

Anything else you want to share. We want to make sure we really understand what changes we might be facing if we choose to leave Charlotte for Denver or Nashville.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Hello - That is the toughest choice we have to make: be close to family or stay where we are. I just don't want us or our kids to miss out on memories with the family. I would love to hear more about what people like and don't like about Denver and Nashville. Also:

Weather
Traffic
Activities
Schools
Food
Ease of Meeting People

Anything else you want to share. We want to make sure we really understand what changes we might be facing if we choose to leave Charlotte for Denver or Nashville.
I can only really comment on Denver.

Weather: Denver has great weather in my opinion. If you like 4 seasons, Denver will be good for you. Winters are fairly mild with snow that melt quickly most of the time. Summers are very dry and hot with thunder storms in the afternoon much of the time. Spring and Fall are usually really mild and somewhat rainy.
Traffic Denver actually has a lot of traffic, but it's mostly during rush hour.
Activities There's plenty to do here. Many museums, A large zoo, 2 Amusement parks, One of the largest water parks, Aquarium, many festivals/parades, Many shopping options, and the many mountain towns.
Schools The suburban school districts are better than the ones in Denver.
Food Denver's Best Local Restaurants - Taste Colorado's Cuisine | VISIT DENVER
Ease of Meeting People I find it very easy to meet people here. Denver's generally a very friendly place. You shouldn't have a problem meeting people.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 PM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
I'm from Charlotte, and I really like Denver. I've only been 3 times (not including the airport, which from the inside has been my favorite I've ever been too), and it's definitely fun to visit. Can't really compare it to raising a family in Charlotte, but I moved back to Charlotte after being gone for eight years, to raise my family. South Charlotte schools are great, affordable housing, great sports programs and activities for kids, parks, Carowinds, the lakes, proximity to nearby cities, beaches, etc.

I'm positive Denver would compare favorably to Charlotte. Would probably depend on how much you would miss being close to the beach, deal with snow (I never could in Utah), and being pretty damn secluded from other cities. Weekend or day trips become more of week trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City