Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've only been to Manila a long time ago and while it didn't match exactly with LA it did remind me of it a bit. Just that it was big, spread out and had many clusters of high rises. The character of LA with its larger Asian and Latino population really gives it that flavor.
Oh, I see what you mean. Pacific Islands, I believe.

The continuously (and more vertically) built up sprawl factor that uses less space but manages higher densities than like peers, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Yes, I'm comparing it to cities that are sprawled yet urban and dense too but not in the traditional sense like NYC, just heavily developed. Really the city it reminded the most internationally was Mexico City. Santa Monica kinda reminded me of the south of France, Cannes. It was very Mediterranean.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
This is actually a good illustration of why Walkscore kinda sucks.

Wilshire in Beverly Hills looks very walker-friendly and indeed it has farily consistent street wall and lots of attractions. It's certainly the densest street in in the city. At the same time, it's probably the least pleasant major street in Bev Hills from a pedestrian perspective. Traffic is heavy, loud, and moves fast, the sidewalk is not very pleasant, there are not that many pedestrians, and most of the retail is entered from the back (parking lot) side.

If, for example, you go to the department stores, the main entrance is on the back, facing the parking lots. When you enter from the street (sometimes you can't even enter from the street, BTW), you are entering the back of the store, not the front.

All that said, Bev Hills does have some very good pedestrian streets, but to the north of Wilshire, in the Golden Triangle area. But, from a walker perspective, it won't rank even close to the walker quality of major urban neighborhoods in most cities.

Objective data sucks when it doesn't confirm your bias. You'll fit right in with all the urban purists on city vs city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yeah, you sure got me. A 33-year-old coot. All those 18-and-over coots think they know it all, with their stats, and worldview, and education. Better to just post a bunch of irrelevant GQ articles and ignore facts; that'll show em...
You haven't posted any facts worth ignoring. All you did was tout the pedestrian activity of The Grove.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes, I'm comparing it to cities that are sprawled yet urban and dense too but not in the traditional sense like NYC, just heavily developed. Really the city it reminded the most internationally was Mexico City. Santa Monica kinda reminded me of the south of France, Cannes. It was very Mediterranean.
Have you ever tried to make it at a comedy club in LA? I hear it's the best place to break in the circuit. First Wilshire is like Chicago and NYC, now this.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Some unlikely candidates ...

There are several small cities that have a surprising "urbanity" about them interms of density, walkability, and abundance of retail shops/hotels/restaurants/etc:

- Provincetown, MA
- Newburyport, MA
- Providence, RI
- Albany, NY
- Bethlehem, PA
- New Hope, PA
- Annapolis, MD
- Atlantic City, NJ
- Rehoboth Beach, DE
- Miami Beach, FL
- Charleston, SC
- Savannah, GA

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Some unlikely candidates ...

There are several small cities that have a surprising "urbanity" about them interms of density, walkability, and abundance of retail shops/hotels/restaurants/etc:

- Provincetown, MA
- Newburyport, MA
- Providence, RI
- Albany, NY
- Bethlehem, PA
- New Hope, PA
- Annapolis, MD
- Atlantic City, NJ
- Rehoboth Beach, DE
- Miami Beach, FL
- Charleston, SC
- Savannah, GA
New Hope is my hometown. Its urban but its a really small town. Pretty much 8 linear blocks along the Delaware river. Its sister city across the river - Lambertville, NJ is more urban and less linear, but still a tiny speck compared to the cities we're talking about here.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Have you ever tried to make it at a comedy club in LA? I hear it's the best place to break in the circuit. First Wilshire is like Chicago and NYC, now this.
Been to SaMo plenty, and been to the South of France plenty (had a girl in Toulon when I lived in London.) I wouldn't say they are super similar, but there are definitely some parallels. Mediterranean climate, ocean cliffs, beaches, laid back vibe, etc.

I would actually generalize that and say there are quite a few similarities between the South of France and the Southern California coast in general.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
ehh give me carversville and a house along Flecydale

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ehh give me carversville and a house along Flecydale
Lemme find out we're from the same area. Did you go to New Hope-Solebury HS?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Lemme find out we're from the same area. Did you go to New Hope-Solebury HS?

No CR but know the area well

Am probably older than you anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City