Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metro pair most connected?
NYC-PHI 13 20.00%
LA-SD 11 16.92%
CHI-MKE 15 23.08%
SFBA-SAC 11 16.92%
TB-ORL 13 20.00%
SA-ATX 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Washington - Baltimore should be on the list.
Why? It's actually a CSA and may become an MSA at some point in the next decade or two. I don't think this list is for cities that are 30 min apart.

I think Philly/NYC is the most connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Another overlooked pair was Cincinnati/Dayton, commonly referred to as "CIN-DAY." These two metros (their city-centers 50-miles apart) are close to becoming an MSA of over 3.2 million.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Why? It's actually a CSA and may become an MSA at some point in the next decade or two. I don't think this list is for cities that are 30 min apart.

I think Philly/NYC is the most connected.
or maybe most sprwaled together

But one thing to think about is the two cities are seperated by 47 miles at their closest borders (albeit NE Philly and Staten Island) but also there are about 8-9 million people that live in the space in between (excludes either city or metro areas of the two not in the middle)

That space would bascially be a top 5 CSA today (population wise) and is just what is in between the two

Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
or maybe most sprwaled together

But one thing to think about is the two cities are seperated by 47 miles at their closest borders (albeit NE Philly and Staten Island) but also there are about 8-9 million people that live in the space in between (excludes either city or metro areas of the two not in the middle)

That space would bascially be a top 5 CSA today (population wise) and is just what is in between the two
Are you trying to say Philly and NYC is connected as DC and Baltimore?

I guess I'm trying to understand the point of what you just posted.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:41 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
In reality, I think TB-ORL should be winning this poll because they are growing into each other, moreso than the other metros I listed are.

Polk County, FL is growing extremely fast and the commuters from there seem to commute to both Tampa Bay and Orlando.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:45 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,365,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
In reality, I think TB-ORL should be winning this poll because they are growing into each other, moreso than the other metros I listed are.

Polk County, FL is growing extremely fast and the commuters from there seem to commute to both Tampa Bay and Orlando.
The Tampa and Orlando metros don't touch compared to the Milwaukee and Chicago metros. But they do have the Lakeland metro sort of connecting them.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
The Tampa and Orlando metros don't touch compared to the Milwaukee and Chicago metros. But they do have the Lakeland metro sort of connecting them.
I don't think Chicago or Milwaukee are growing into each other to the same extent that Tampa and Orlando are to each other.

Lakeland metro (which is Polk County, FL) sort of connects both. I could eventually see Tampa and Orlando, if growth rates hold like this, eventually become a twin cities sort of place.

I believe the Chicago area is growing out west, and not north. But someone from the area could correct me if I'm wrong

Not to mention the metros of Tampa Bay and Orlando are relatively equal sizes: them being connected isn't going to come at the expense of the other. It's pretty clear who the "larger brother" is in the other areas, but with Tampa Bay and Orlando, its not so clear.

I should've added Cleveland-Pittsburgh and maybe Cincinnati-Columbus.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 03-01-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Of the ones listed I'd say Tampa- Orlando... That I-4 cooridor is really becoming more and more connected, i've even heard Tampa radio in the Orlando area. Central FL is really all the same.

DC-Baltimore is already one CSA unlike the others so I wouldn't use it as an example.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
I think Tampa and Orlando. It takes less than 1.5 hours to drive between then any I don't the people living there have any particular beef with one another.

NYC and Philly? Oh god, that's brutal. The metro areas are close but they don't get along at all.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Between NYC-Philadelphia, LA-San Diego, CHI-Milwaukee, SFBA-Sacramento, San Antonio-Austin, or Tampa-Orlando, which pair is most connected to each other?
None of the above. Akron and Cleveland are tight though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City