Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Long Island City 14 51.85%
South Park 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times

Advertisements

Long Island City (LIC) is a neighborhood in western queens that has seen tremendous growth over the last 10-15 years. If you drive into manhattan from LaGuardia it’s a noticeable second skyline. The new development is mostly high rises and many of the residents are professionals priced out of manhattan. It has really good public transportation with maybe 8-10 stations on various lines. You can look at various maps as to its borders, but the boundaries feel different on the ground. Vernon Jackson on the 7 up to Broadway on the N/W all felt like LIC to me. From at least Maybe someone from NYC can give more precise boundaries.

South Park in Los Angeles has also seen tremendous growth with a mix of low, mid, and high rise. Lately mostly the latter. LA Live and Staples are in South Park along with the LA Convention center and Microsoft Theater. It has only one rail station but is walking distance to a couple more.

Compare based on:

- Urbanity
- Shopping
- Restaurants
- Entertainment
- Transportation
- Value
- Future Prospects/growth
- Other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:36 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
For all it’s growth LIC still feels sort of empty. DUMBO definitely has more foot traffic and things going on!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
I live in LIC and have never been to South Park but I'll take a guess.

-Urbanity: edge to LIC
-Shopping: South Park
-Restaurants: Not sure. LIC's restaurant scene is growing fast though
-Entertainment: South Park hands down
-Transportation: LIC hands down
-Value: edge to South Park, looks like rentals are a little bit cheaper
-Future Prospects/Growth: Don't think I can comment without visiting LA first. LIC has a lot of untapped commercial potential though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Long Island City (LIC) is a neighborhood in western queens that has seen tremendous growth over the last 10-15 years. If you drive into manhattan from LaGuardia it’s a noticeable second skyline. The new development is mostly high rises and many of the residents are professionals priced out of manhattan. It has really good public transportation with maybe 8-10 stations on various lines. You can look at various maps as to its borders, but the boundaries feel different on the ground. Vernon Jackson on the 7 up to Broadway on the N/W all felt like LIC to me. From at least Maybe someone from NYC can give more precise boundaries.

South Park in Los Angeles has also seen tremendous growth with a mix of low, mid, and high rise. Lately mostly the latter. LA Live and Staples are in South Park along with the LA Convention center and Microsoft Theater. It has only one rail station but is walking distance to a couple more.

Compare based on:

- Urbanity
- Shopping
- Restaurants
- Entertainment
- Transportation
- Value
- Future Prospects/growth
- Other
There's not an official northern border of LIC but many would argue it lies somewhere between the 36th Ave and Broadway N/W train stations.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
For all it’s growth LIC still feels sort of empty. DUMBO definitely has more foot traffic and things going on!
LIC feels both empty and soulless. I couldn't imagine choosing LIC, when I could have so many better city neighborhoods at that price range. LIC, to my mind, is a suburbanite's idea of city living. I say this as someone who lived just a few blocks east, in Sunnyside.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
LIC feels both empty and soulless. I couldn't imagine choosing LIC, when I could have so many better city neighborhoods at that price range. LIC, to my mind, is a suburbanite's idea of city living. I say this as someone who lived just a few blocks east, in Sunnyside.
These 2 beat me to it. LIC looks like it has a lot going on, but it really doesn’t. It was better with 5 pointz. I honestly think that LIC has to be one of the blandest neighborhoods in NYC. The only areas of interest that I can think of are that strip of Vernon Blvd and the waterfront park + views.

But I can understand people living in LIC for the convenience. The mass transit coverage is great, and the location is very centralized. Imagine working in Midtown and being a 5-minute ride away. And being so close and accessible to not only most of Manhattan, but also places like Astoria, Greenpoint+Williamsburg, Jackson Heights, etc having the 7, E, F, M, G, N, R, and W trains you can go almost anywhere very easily except maybe The Bronx. And I think the views are probably the best in all of NYC. It was only a matter of time until the area exploded with high rises. I just wish there was more... stuff to do. I do think LIC has an insane amount of potential that is has yet to reach. I do feel optimistic that it will improve in the areas that it is lacking. It still has a lot of growing to do.

I have been to South Park when I was in LA, but i didn’t know the name of the area until now. I’ve been to Staples Center and I remember passing by the convention center. The area did not really stand out to me at all other than the Staples Center tbh. LA Live was not complete when I was there though. Maybe it would be more interesting today.

I would say that LIC wins in transit and urbanity

South Park with entertainment and shopping since LIC has none of that, and South Park has Staples Center and LA Live.

Restaurants: IDK. This might be the one other spot where LIC does decent. LIC does actually have some good food along Vernon, and also farther east of Court Square by LaGuardia Community College. I’ve never eaten at a restaurant in South Park though, so I can’t say.

Future: I think LIC still has yet to tap into its potential. I’m optimistic about the neighborhood. I think it will become a much more interesting place in the future. This is the only time I am looking forward to gentrification, since there is nothing to push out in the first place (except for Five Pointz, which already happened a few years ago )

South Park I can see becoming a big tourist destination. Which is interesting because when I went to LA I was advised by locals (multiple people) to not even bother with Downtown LA. I still ended up there anyway though. I imagine that people don’t say that as much anymore.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
These 2 beat me to it. LIC looks like it has a lot going on, but it really doesn’t. It was better with 5 pointz. I honestly think that LIC has to be one of the blandest neighborhoods in NYC. The only areas of interest that I can think of are that strip of Vernon Blvd and the waterfront park + views.

But I can understand people living in LIC for the convenience. The mass transit coverage is great, and the location is very centralized. Imagine working in Midtown and being a 5-minute ride away. And being so close and accessible to not only most of Manhattan, but also places like Astoria, Greenpoint+Williamsburg, Jackson Heights, etc having the 7, E, F, M, G, N, R, and W trains you can go almost anywhere very easily except maybe The Bronx. And I think the views are probably the best in all of NYC. It was only a matter of time until the area exploded with high rises. I just wish there was more... stuff to do. I do think LIC has an insane amount of potential that is has yet to reach. I do feel optimistic that it will improve in the areas that it is lacking. It still has a lot of growing to do.

I have been to South Park when I was in LA, but i didn’t know the name of the area until now. I’ve been to Staples Center and I remember passing by the convention center. The area did not really stand out to me at all other than the Staples Center tbh. LA Live was not complete when I was there though. Maybe it would be more interesting today.

I would say that LIC wins in transit and urbanity

South Park with entertainment and shopping since LIC has none of that, and South Park has Staples Center and LA Live.

Restaurants: IDK. This might be the one other spot where LIC does decent. LIC does actually have some good food along Vernon, and also farther east of Court Square by LaGuardia Community College. I’ve never eaten at a restaurant in South Park though, so I can’t say.

Future: I think LIC still has yet to tap into its potential. I’m optimistic about the neighborhood. I think it will become a much more interesting place in the future. This is the only time I am looking forward to gentrification, since there is nothing to push out in the first place (except for Five Pointz, which already happened a few years ago )

South Park I can see becoming a big tourist destination. Which is interesting because when I went to LA I was advised by locals (multiple people) to not even bother with Downtown LA. I still ended up there anyway though. I imagine that people don’t say that as much anymore.
Here’s the question: is LIC really that much cheaper than the UES these days? One could get the same convenience to midtown in a much better neighborhood, at a similar pricepoint.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Here’s the question: is LIC really that much cheaper than the UES these days? One could get the same convenience to midtown in a much better neighborhood, at a similar pricepoint.
It depends on which part of the UES, but another thing to factor in is LIC having a lot of new construction which some people greatly prefer.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It depends on which part of the UES, but another thing to factor in is LIC having a lot of new construction which some people greatly prefer.
What can I say. Some people are basic.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Good point. I think that South Park has at least as much foot traffic as LIC even if you exclude LA Live/Staples.

But they’re similar in that when you do walk you have this strange mix of 50 story skyscrapers on a block of 1-2 story 80 year old underused buildings.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:03 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Here are a link to Downtown border maps in case people dont know South Park.
Discover L.A. - Neighborhood Map
The boundaries are not exact but usually either 7th or 8th street to the north or Hill Street or Broadway or Main Street to the east and then the freeways are the rest.
General Map - https://goo.gl/maps/1AgjKzWehdH2

South Park, in the past 10-15 years has built/currently building 20+ highrises, 20+mid rises, overall adding 20,000+ residents to the Downtown core. Here are google streetview links of places in South Park.
9th Street/Figueroa - https://goo.gl/maps/LnrLA3pC4Zz
Metropolis - Indigo Hotel - https://goo.gl/maps/ckjdDsxaupQ2
Regal Cinemas - Ritz Carlton/Mariotts - https://goo.gl/maps/RngsXsAiR5p
LA Live - Staples - https://goo.gl/maps/aUPyPuPwTWq
Circa -Oceanwide -Staples - https://goo.gl/maps/rUanmrr9vJC2
Metro Pico Station at 12th/Flower 0 https://goo.gl/maps/aALLa2rHvcP2
Hope - 11th Street - https://goo.gl/maps/5zPy2dQE8E72
Historic Mayan and Belasco Theaters https://goo.gl/maps/H8fhpr22PHp
9th/Hope St with FIDM and park- https://goo.gl/maps/ymAyFj383su
8th/Olive Whole Foods/Freehand Hotel - https://goo.gl/maps/Ubkc2ksnb472
Olympic Blvd/Olive - https://goo.gl/maps/sL9HDU35JSp
12th Street/Grand Ave - https://goo.gl/maps/v6itMFj8yES2
Pico Blvd/Olive St. https://goo.gl/maps/ZpvzvgwEh6u

When it comes to foot traffic. Most of it tends to be on Figueroa from LA Live/Staples/Convention Center towards the Financial District where many shops, hotels, bars are located. Also 8th Street, Flower, Olive, Olympic Blvd have decent foot traffic since many residential there and grocery stores, everyday type stores. Otherwise, the rest of South Park feels empty. Maybe the new buildings need time to lease their storefront, and have fuller residential occupancy. Or maybe it is the time of day when people are at work and really no one is home in the area to walk around, but that it feels dead esp in the areas east of Figueroa and south of Olympic. I think it will take time and a lot more people moving in and new buildings to feel busier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City