Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:46 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's MASSIVE Beltway 8 loop compared to Los Angeles. This doesn't even include Houston's other 2 loops outer loops, Highway 6 & Grand Parkway extending way beyond that & would stretch all the way out to Malibu, Simi Valley, & Santa Clarita!!!

Houston's Bay Area would reach all the way South to Mission Viejo!!!
The craziest thing about that is that there's probably more population inside that loop then the entire Houston MSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
No kidding. That has absolutely no place in this forum.
Ha. That's the truth.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Any city where you are in the top 5% makes life easier but I don't think you have to be rich to enjoy or live in Los Angeles. I love living in LA. I don't need to have an ocean front home on the beach to be happy like most angelenos. There are endless things to do here that don't cost an arm and a leg. My job deals with the public everyday and I find the people to be quite friendly and down to earth. Not all of course but most. Now that I live here I discovered how cool and interesting this city really is. When I here things on CD like cesspool, fake, plastic I just shake my head.
Yeah we make just over six figures (though take-home is more like mid-to-upper-five-figures to student loans) and love living here. Sure we cannot afford a SFH but that isn't really on our radar anyways.

What is funny is people say there is no middle class in LA, but we know dozens and dozens of people that make up LA's middle class. Sure we'd all be "rich" in Houston, but I personally value experience over material wealth (not that there aren't things to experience in Houston).

Old 05-02-2014, 12:51 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
My sister just moved to Houston, I live in LA. Already we are throwing insults at each other regarding HOU VS LA. It's entertaining to say the least.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 PM

115 posts, read 145,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Houston is L.A. layout without Hollywood and has a waaay friendlier attitude toward out of towners
Nahh..Idk about that. There are few variations but for the most part no

Old 05-03-2014, 11:36 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Texans always try to make Houston, Dallas, et al. seem superior to and more desirable than LA--it's quite comical, actually.

Compared to LA, Houston is pancake-flat, extremely humid, oppressively hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, very redneck, and very Evangelical. Its beaches are ugly beaches, and it rains every other day in addition to contending with tornadoes and hurricanes for most of the year. Camouflage, antlers, crosses, ball sacks on trucks, smoking, fried and fast-food, etc. are all the rage. There's nothing fun or interesting in reasonable driving distance--Galveston is gross, San Antonio is a snooze-fest, and don't even get me started on Louisiana. No gambling in Houston either.

Please, spare me.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 05-03-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM

112 posts, read 136,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Texans always try to make Houston, Dallas, et al. seem superior to and more desirable than LA--it's quite comical, actually.

Compared to LA, Houston is pancake-flat, extremely humid, oppressively hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, very redneck, and very Evangelical. Its beaches are ugly beaches, and it rains every other day in addition to contending with tornadoes and hurricanes for most of the year. Camouflage, antlers, crosses, ball sacks on trucks, smoking, fried and fast-food, etc. are all the rage. There's nothing fun or interesting in reasonable driving distance--Galveston is gross, San Antonio is a snooze-fest, and don't even get me started on Louisiana. No gambling in Houston either.

Please, spare me.
What's wrong with Louisiana?

Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

Please, spare me.
You are nothing, if not consistent and predictable.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:

Please, spare me.
Yes, the rural areas 30+ miles outside of the city are redneck. Nothing wrong with that, they like to hunt & fish like people used to do before processed foods. The inner city & suburbs are cosmopolitan.

The average low temp. in Houston during the month of January is 43.2 degrees.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:53 PM

596 posts, read 820,533 times
The weather alone would make LA more desirable to me than Houston. Aren't there a lot of bugs there because of the humidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: