Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
New York - Chicago
Boston - Minneapolis
Pittsburgh - Cincinnati
Philadelphia - Detroit
Baltimore - St Louis

Hartford - Indianapolis
Providence - Milwaukee
Buffalo - Cleveland
Buffalo and Pittsburgh are not on the East Coast anymore than Cincinnati is on the Great Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Philadelpia=Detroit? Please...
Philadelphia is more similar to Chicago socioeconomically than it is to Detroit, but the big difference between the two is that Chicago is the big cheese in its region of the country while Philadelphia is not. And there are some similarities between Philadelphia and Detroit relative to their respective regions of the country:

1. They each anchor the second-largest metropolitan area in their regions.

2. They tend to get overshadowed by the one larger metropolitan area.

3. Detroit has the most blight of any major Midwestern metropolitan areas, and Philadelphia has the most blight of the four extra-large East Coast metropolitan areas.

4. Their contributions to American culture are severely underrated.

5. There is plenty of money in both metropolitan areas despite their reputations.

6. They both have better days ahead despite their reputations.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,217 times
Boston = Minneapolis?
NYC =
Philly = Chicago
Camden = Gary
Baltimore = Detroit
DC =
Richmond = Milwaukee/STL
Charlotte = Indianapolis/KCMO
Chapel Hill = Ann Arbor
Bangor = Kalamazoo
Providence = South Bend
Jacksonville = Cleveland
Hartford = Des Moines
Atlanta =
Miami =

Old 05-19-2014, 02:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Philadelphia is more similar to Chicago socioeconomically than it is to Detroit, but the big difference between the two is that Chicago is the big cheese in its region of the country while Philadelphia is not. And there are some similarities between Philadelphia and Detroit relative to their respective regions of the country:

1. They each anchor the second-largest metropolitan area in their regions.

2. They tend to get overshadowed by the one larger metropolitan area.

3. Detroit has the most blight of any major Midwestern metropolitan areas, and Philadelphia has the most blight of the four extra-large East Coast metropolitan areas.

4. Their contributions to American culture are severely underrated.

5. There is plenty of money in both metropolitan areas despite their reputations.

6. They both have better days ahead despite their reputations.
The major difference is that Philadelphia is on the up-and-up, and vast swaths of once-abandoned neighborhoods are being gentrified and revitalized. Philadelphia has also been gaining population consistently since (I think) 2007. While Detroit has seen downtown revitalization, the rest of the city is depressingly blighted and shows no sign of improvement (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, Detroit to my knowledge hasn't reversed it's severe population decline.

I guess they share similarities with their pasts as powerful industrial cities (although this is gone now in both) but Philadelphia is reinventing itself while Detroit is not.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The major difference is that Philadelphia is on the up-and-up, and vast swaths of once-abandoned neighborhoods are being gentrified and revitalized. Philadelphia has also been gaining population consistently since (I think) 2007. While Detroit has seen downtown revitalization, the rest of the city is depressingly blighted and shows no sign of improvement (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, Detroit to my knowledge hasn't reversed it's severe population decline.

I guess they share similarities with their pasts as powerful industrial cities (although this is gone now in both) but Philadelphia is reinventing itself while Detroit is not.
Well... your wrong. There are plenty of decent looking neighborhoods in Detroit, OUTSIDE OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA. Just put it like this, Philly is further ahead in it's gentrification process than Detroit, but make no mistake about it, there are many similarities between the two cities. Detroit's population decline has slowed since the recession btw.

Noone said the two cities had to be extremely similar, hell their matching Chicago to NYC. A couple of them matched Boston with STL, ect. Philly posters take things way to serious. Getting way to technical over a matching game lol.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Well... your wrong. There are plenty of decent looking neighborhoods in Detroit, OUTSIDE OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA. Just put it like this, Philly is further ahead in it's gentrification process than Detroit, but make no mistake about it, there are many similarities between the two cities. Detroit's population decline has slowed since the recession btw.

Noone said the two cities had to be extremely similar, hell their matching Chicago to NYC. A couple of them matched Boston with STL, ect. Philly posters take things way to serious. Getting way to technical over a matching game lol.
Good to know more then just Downtown is doing well.

To me, trying to compare "similar" cities in two completely different regions is just stupid. There is nothing remotely close to New York or Philadelphia or DC in the Midwest, just as there is nothing similar to Chicago, Detroit, or Minneapolis/St. Paul in the Northeast.

Its like saying oranges and traffic cones are comparable because they are both the color orange. It makes no sense to try and compare them as similar.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
I see some similarities between Boston and the Twin Cities -- both leaders in medical technology, educated populace, socioeconomic characteristics, and even demographics -- but there are also similarities between Boston and Cleveland (both have world-reknown hospitals), Boston and Chicago (population density), and Boston and Detroit (total population). I can see the argument for Chicago as well: Chicago and Philly; Chicago and D.C; Chicago and Boston; and Chicago and NYC. Personally I see the most similarities between Chicago and NYC, but perhaps I'm just kidding myself. It may be a true blend of all four as well.

It's not meant to be an identical match, just a [FUN] game.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 AM

97 posts, read 185,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Boston = Minneapolis?
NYC =
Philly = Chicago
Camden = Gary
Baltimore = Detroit
DC =
Richmond = Milwaukee/STL
Charlotte = Indianapolis/KCMO
Chapel Hill = Ann Arbor
Bangor = Kalamazoo
Providence = South Bend
Jacksonville = Cleveland
Hartford = Des Moines
Atlanta =
Miami =
I agree that NYC and DC do not have Midwest counterparts. Chicago is much more like Philadelphia (minus Philadelphia's unique US history). DC doesn't really have a comparable because it's the national capital and so much of that city is government-driven.

However, Providence is a far, far superior town to South Bend in almost every way. South Bend is more like... Wilmington, DE or maybe Yonkers, NY.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
sorry, I only match East Coast Cities with West Coast Cities
Which actually makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City