Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer overall?
Montreal, QC 63 57.27%
Los Angeles, CA 47 42.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM

43 posts, read 72,187 times

Advertisements

Montreal is the second largest city in Canada and the largest city in the province of Quebec, while Los Angeles is the second largest city in the USA and the largest in the state of California. Although Los Angeles has slightly higher population (3.9 M) vs. Montreal's (1.7 M) I still think it is fair comparison.

Scenery/Architecture:
Quality of life:
Crime:
Public transportation:
Shopping:
Universities:
Entertainment/Things to see and do:
Diversity:
Economy:
Culture:
Food:
History:

Where would you rather live?
Where would you rather visit as first timer?

Overall:

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2014 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Please read the rules. No skyline discussions.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySe View Post
Montreal is the second largest city in Canada and the largest city in the province of Quebec, while Los Angeles is the second largest city in the USA and the largest in the state of California. Although Los Angeles has slightly higher population (3.9 M) vs. Montreal's (1.7 M) I still think it is fair comparison.
Los Angeles has 18 Million people, but whatever.

Climate: Los Angeles

Scenery/Architecture: Los Angeles

Quality of life: Los Angeles

Crime: I think Montreal has a lower crime rate, but LAs crime rate has decreased quite a bit and is actually below average for the US now, which is very impressive.

Public transportation: Montreal

Shopping: Los Angeles

Universities: Los Angeles

Entertainment/Things to see and do: Los Angeles

Diversity: Los Angeles

Economy: Los Angeles

Culture: Los Angeles but Montreal is a major cultural hub as well

Food: Los Angeles

History: Tied

Where would you rather live? Los Angeles

Where would you rather visit as first timer? Los Angeles

Overall: Los Angeles

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Such an apples and oranges comparison. Almost pointless really.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
LA. Montreal has never interested me.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Architecture: Montreal
Scenery: Los Angeles
Quality of life: Different life styles. Tie.
Crime: Montreal
Public transportation: Montreal?
Culture: Tie
Food: Los Angles
History: Montreal

I really don't see how it's a competition

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
For me the central core neighborhoods of Montreal are 10 times more interesting and cohesive than central Los Angeles. From the area near the universities and Mont Royal through the central downtown area to the touristy but interesting historic old quarter and up Blvd. St. Laurent is one of the best connected and enjoyable cores in Canada or the US---and I love the old Quebec archiecture and the Jewish, Portugese, Italian, Arab, and Moroccan areas. In comparison the central core of Los Angeles--while it's now being revamped in very gentrified sort of way(and now hyped up) and while it has had some underused architectural gems--isn't a place that I really want to return to over and over again(even while it's interesting to look at in certain parts). And then there's large stretches around downtown that are either boring or interesting but not places I'd hang out in(Westlake). And then further out you have other areas that are sort of interesting like Koreatown or parts of Hollywood and so on, but then it's all just sort of this mixed bag.

Of course when you compare the entire cities or metro areas things might look different, or compare something like weather or outdoor recreation(or beaches) or Asian or Mexican food where LA excels. But while I like LA, I don't love it like Montreal, which has a certain charm to it. And Montreal doesn't feel like a European city as some have claimed, but it does have probably the biggest communities of more recent European immigrants of any US city, and it feels like a true melting pot in many ways. Also, hockey fans in Montreal actually show up year after year, unlike some LA Kings fans who just realized they had a team after they won a Stanley Cup.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-05-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
This made me laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySe View Post
Although Los Angeles has slightly higher population (3.9 M) vs. Montreal's (1.7 M)
I live in L.A. but I love Montreal, it's my favorite Canadian city.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
For me the central core neighborhoods of Montreal are 10 times more interesting and cohesive than central Los Angeles. From the area near the universities and Mont Royal through the central downtown area to the touristy but interesting historic old quarter and up Blvd. St. Laurent is one of the best connected and enjoyable cores in Canada or the US---and I love the old Quebec archiecture and the Jewish, Portugese, Italian, Arab, and Moroccan areas. In comparison the central core of Los Angeles--while it's now being revamped in very gentrified sort of way(and now hyped up) and while it has had some underused architectural gems--isn't a place that I really want to return to over and over again(even while it's interesting to look at in certain parts). And then there's large stretches around downtown that are either boring or interesting but not places I'd hang out in(Westlake). And then further out you have other areas that are sort of interesting like Koreatown or parts of Hollywood and so on, but then it's all just sort of this mixed bag.

Of course when you compare the entire cities or metro areas things might look different, or compare something like weather or outdoor recreation(or beaches) or Asian or Mexican food where LA excels. But while I like LA, I don't love it like Montreal, which has a certain charm to it. And Montreal doesn't feel like a European city as some have claimed, but it does have probably the biggest communities of more recent European immigrants of any US city, and it feels like a true melting pot in many ways. Also, hockey fans in Montreal actually show up year after year, unlike some LA Kings fans who just realized they had a team after they won a Stanley Cup.
No one will ever confuse LA for Hockeytown USA, but the Kings had a 99.8% attendance rate in 2011 and 100% in 2012 when they won the cup. The team was hardly considered a powerhouse that year either--they're the only 8th seed to win it all.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Los Angeles has 18 Million people, but whatever.

Scenery/Architecture: Los Angeles

Quality of life: Los Angeles

Crime: I think Montreal has a lower crime rate, but LAs crime rate has decreased quite a bit and is actually below average for the US now, which is very impressive.

Public transportation: Montreal

Culture: Los Angeles but Montreal is a major cultural hub as well

Food: Los Angeles

History: Tied

Where would you rather live? Los Angeles

Where would you rather visit as first timer? Los Angeles

Overall: Los Angeles
This one-sided drivel of a list is shocking even for you! This is Montreal Vs L.A not L.A vs Wichita gaaaawwwd - another lonely night for you!

Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
No one will ever confuse LA for Hockeytown USA, but the Kings had a 99.8% attendance rate in 2011 and 100% in 2012 when they won the cup. The team was hardly considered a powerhouse that year either--they're the only 8th seed to win it all.
Oh sure, I bet they have a decent fanbase these days. But I'm a Sharks fan(and I was an Oilers fan growing up who remembers when Gretzky got traded), so I despise the Kings.(And I don't like our former coach and now coach of the Kings Darryl Sutter or as we used to call him, Mr. Potatohead).

In general I like the city of LA itself and like to visit, but I hate most of the sports teams. Sort of just came with growing up in Northern California. Though I'll root for the Clippers, because their success makes the Lakers look bad and I like Chris Paul.

Haters gonna hate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.