Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose One Please
Philly 19 54.29%
New York 10 28.57%
Boston 3 8.57%
WDC 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 10,935 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am obviously new here and wanted some advice. I am 26 years old and recently graduated from college in the health and wellness field. It's been more than an uphill struggle to find a job pretty much anywhere in the country (Been applying in over 10 states and no offers; maybe due to most places not wanting to interview out of state individuals).

I currently reside in Austin, Texas and am working a job outside of my field in which I do not care for.

My girlfriend has always wanted to move to New York or the immediate area for some reason, and for the past year I have been toying with the idea. We both have pretty much limited funds (hardly ANY savings) due to huge school debts and crap jobs.

I honestly just want a change in my life because I lived the first 22 years of my life in Wisconsin and winged it when I moved to Texas. I love Austin, but like I said, I really want to experience new areas and people; I'd rather not look back in the future and regret not trying new things. Figure, what's the worst that can happen? We both fail and then move back to Texas? But then again, we are inhibiting our future for life savings and such -.-

Anyone have advice on the following cities for people our age?

New York, NY
Boston, MA
Washington DC
Philly

I would LOVE to move to New York, but the COL is so darn high that I think I could settle on Philly. We are planning to take a short trip to the NY, Philly areas in the next couple months to really see if we love it and to check on housing, but unfortunately the time restraint and our time off at work doesn't allow a LONG (week) trip.

Last edited by FissFiss; 02-17-2016 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,521 times
It's going to be tough moving without a job beforehand. To be honest, many people would be envious of you living in Austin.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
A lot of affordable relatively safe neighborhoods in Philly. In gentrifying neighborhoods that are safe but random crime does happen, you can get a sick apartments for around $800-$1000 and a very decent one for $550-$700 while in NYC if a rent is that low, you're probably gonna live in a really bad neighborhood or have a really crummy apartment.

DC is more expensive at NYC at times but not as much I think in terms of COL. Boston is somewhere in between NYC and DC. Best bet is to go with Philly. Lived there for 4 years. Had a very nice apartment in an OK neighborhood. Wandered around at night past the AM many times alone and was completely safe. Philly has gotten safer since 2011 as well. The crime rate was higher than Chicago at the time but I think it's about a notch below Chicago as a city.

The 20s-30s crowd is pretty solid too in Philadelphia. Just make sure you know where you're living in terms of safety. I almost once rented a cheap apartment in West Philly that a few gunshots went off outside of it a few months later.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
It's going to be tough moving without a job beforehand. To be honest, many people would be envious of you living in Austin.
Yea, for me, it just doesn't feel like a cohesive city really. It's so spread out and you have to drive EVERYWHERE which kind of sucks. At this time also, I live just south outside of Austin and work in East Austin.

I've been looking for a job all over on the East Coast, but I just can't secure a job...the job hunt truly sucks.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
A lot of affordable relatively safe neighborhoods in Philly. In gentrifying neighborhoods that are safe but random crime does happen, you can get a sick apartments for around $800-$1000 and a very decent one for $550-$700 while in NYC if a rent is that low, you're probably gonna live in a really bad neighborhood or have a really crummy apartment.

DC is more expensive at NYC at times but not as much I think in terms of COL. Boston is somewhere in between NYC and DC. Best bet is to go with Philly. Lived there for 4 years. Had a very nice apartment in an OK neighborhood. Wandered around at night past the AM many times alone and was completely safe. Philly has gotten safer since 2011 as well. The crime rate was higher than Chicago at the time but I think it's about a notch below Chicago as a city.

The 20s-30s crowd is pretty solid too in Philadelphia. Just make sure you know where you're living in terms of safety. I almost once rented a cheap apartment in West Philly that a few gunshots went off outside of it a few months later.
Where my gf and I live now it's about $930 before paying for washer/dryer + electric + water + internet. The total is roughly $1100 for a 1 bedroom (it is new and 950 square feet).

I love LOVE to live in NY, but like you stated the prices are outrageous. I figure with Philly being so close, just a train ride away, it would be an ideal location (if we can find a job in the area).

Old 02-18-2016, 11:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times
I'd recommend the Philadelphia area as well, based on what you've stated as both of your professions and finances. The only way I lived "comfortably" in the heart of NYC on $55-60K was by living in the projects. Philly is cheap and there are steals to be had, but I still find PA taxes to be fairly high, especially within the city. If finances are a real struggle, might I recommend northern Delaware? The CoL is notably lower here and there is no sales or property tax here ($1.99 at the store is really $1.99), but you still have both train and car access to NYC within two hours (Philly in 20-30 min). And since you're from Austin and are 26, Wilmington has a yuppie/hipster neighborhood called Trolley Square that you might feel at home in. But if Delaware is too much of a downgrade, Philly proper has Fishtown and Kensington as cheaper, gentrifying areas that are attracting millennials.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
my guess is that boston has the best health industry ?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissFiss View Post
Where my gf and I live now it's about $930 before paying for washer/dryer + electric + water + internet. The total is roughly $1100 for a 1 bedroom (it is new and 950 square feet).

I love LOVE to live in NY, but like you stated the prices are outrageous. I figure with Philly being so close, just a train ride away, it would be an ideal location (if we can find a job in the area).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
That's what I thought initially. I'm still debating on going back for my master's or such, but I feel like I got screwed on my degree (at least the title) which turns off most employers....I figured getting a CHES certification would make me hugely marketable but nope...

/end rant ;D

Old 02-19-2016, 09:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Philadelphia is not far behind Boston. There are five medical schools in Philly after all with all the med "infrastructure" needed in support of same. Plus one of the best, if not the best, pediatric facility in the country is in Philadelphia, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Philadelphia is not far behind Boston. There are five medical schools in Philly after all with all the med "infrastructure" needed in support of same. Plus one of the best, if not the best, pediatric facility in the country is in Philadelphia, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
points. in 2014 us news and world report ranked chop as #1 pediatric facility in the u.s.
in 2015 they listed childrens hospital-boston as #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City