Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 PM

115 posts, read 145,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
With the way energy is going, it'll most likely be even more. The number for Houston has only risen the last few years.
Well no one really knows what the future holds, so that is true.

As of right now let's not focus solely on energy companies. Houston lost Continental to United in a merger... Now, Chicago is losing US Foods to Sysco in a merger. I understand a lot of people from Houston were very upset in losing continental and it's wonderful service but with this merger I guess you can say the cities are even for now. And how Ironic that these companies were not energy companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazG View Post
it's wonderful service but with this merger I guess you can say the cities are even for now.
Eh, not necessarily. United Continental has twice the revenue as US Foods does, and are many people from US Foods actually moving to Houston? As a food distributor, I doubt that many would actually be moving to Houston. The United Continental folks who moved to Chicago from Houston were not of the same ilk. If I had to guess, there may be some job loss in Illinois to cut down on redundancy, maybe, but I doubt that they'd actually move that many people to Houston. So in that regard, I wouldn't really call it even.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Well, in terms of the amount of companies in the 500 list, sure. But Seattle's companies are bigger players.

Arrow Electronics, DISH Network, and DaVita HealthCare Partners (Denver's top 3 companies) don't quite compare to Costco, Microsoft, and Amazon.com (Seattle's top 3). Amazon.com alone has more employees than Arrow, Dish, and DaVita combined.
Pretty good for a company that seems to be against making a profit.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
You are very perceptive.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There just aren't that many private companies that have revenues high enough to be listed in the Fortune 500. Besides Cargill, I know of Koch Industries in KC, MO. Beyond those two, there may be a few others but it's a very short list. In other words, I think it's noteworthy but agree private companies should be left off these lists simply because they're......private.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There just aren't that many private companies that have revenues high enough to be listed in the Fortune 500. Besides Cargill, I know of Koch Industries in KC, MO. Beyond those two, there may be a few others but it's a very short list. In other words, I think it's noteworthy but agree private companies should be left off these lists simply because they're......private.
Some decent sized ones

America's Largest Private Companies List - Forbes

looks like my hometown has 7 on the list of top 100 private companies

Not sure where Vanguard would be but is private but with 2 trillion in investments and 14,000 employees is substantial

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM

115 posts, read 145,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Eh, not necessarily. United Continental has twice the revenue as US Foods does, and are many people from US Foods actually moving to Houston? As a food distributor, I doubt that many would actually be moving to Houston. The United Continental folks who moved to Chicago from Houston were not of the same ilk. If I had to guess, there may be some job loss in Illinois to cut down on redundancy, maybe, but I doubt that they'd actually move that many people to Houston. So in that regard, I wouldn't really call it even.
And... Sysco has a larger revenue than United Continental. I'm not saying Sysco is going to uproot everyone from Illinois or wherever to Houston (which I doubt they will). Both cities lost a Fortune 500 company to each other from a merger so in that regard, they are even.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazG View Post
And... Sysco has a larger revenue than United Continental. I'm not saying Sysco is going to uproot everyone from Illinois or wherever to Houston (which I doubt they will). Both cities lost a Fortune 500 company to each other from a merger so in that regard, they are even.
You're right, Sysco does have a higher revenue than United Continental, but that is not even a point in all of this. You have to compare the two companies that moved/are moving - United Continental and US Foods. United Continental has almost double the revenue that US Foods does, so no it's not necessarily an even switch.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 AM

213 posts, read 388,668 times
It is unique to see the changes with all the M&A activity and spinoffs. NRG Energy is both in Houston and Princeton, so you can pick or chose.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Great article on LA's emerging tech scene. Expect to see many more Fortune 500 companies out of LA in the future!

The LA Tech Scene Is Having a Moment | Re/code

Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Some decent sized ones

America's Largest Private Companies List - Forbes

looks like my hometown has 7 on the list of top 100 private companies

Not sure where Vanguard would be but is private but with 2 trillion in investments and 14,000 employees is substantial
Good list right there. I compiled the list by MSA for these 224 companies:

1. New York | 24 companies
2. Chicago | 13 companies
3. Los Angeles | 13 companies
4. Boston | 10 companies
5. Dallas | 10 companies
6. Philadelphia | 9 companies
7. Atlanta | 7 companies
8. St. Louis | 7 companies
9. Houston | 6 companies
10. Denver | 5 companies
11. Minneapolis | 5 companies
12. San Francisco | 5 companies
13. Birmingham, AL | 4 companies
14. Kansas City | 4 companies
15. Miami | 4 companies
16. Omaha | 4 companies
17. Buffalo, NY | 3 companies
18. Detroit | 3 companies
19. Grand Rapids, MI | 3 companies
20. Green Bay, WI | 3 companies
21. Nashville | 3 companies
22. Phoenix | 3 companies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City