Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Largest/most active Chinatown
Boston 11 47.83%
Philly 5 21.74%
Chicago 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times

Advertisements

Out of these 3 cities, which has the most active and vibrant Chinatown?

I have only been to Bos and Philly's. They seemed about the same size and pace to me. Boston's had a slightly more dense feel as it is wedged between Downtown Crossing and Financial District. Philly's seemed a little less claustrophobic and had more of a buffer from the Downtown office districts. Lots of parking lots nearby. This gave it a slightly less dense feel. But over the long term, this could give it more room to grow, whereas Boston's seems pretty hemmed in with redevelopment pressure encroaching.

Haven't been to Chicago's Chinatown. I know its a little more removed. But, looks pretty lively from pictures and seems to be growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Philly's Chinatown will grow substantially over the next few years as there are several highrises/midrises proposed for the area and the city's Asian population increases.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Haven't been to Chicago's Chinatown. I know its a little more removed. But, looks pretty lively from pictures and seems to be growing.
It's not really removed. It's just south of the downtown area, but yeah it's actually pretty lively during the day. It is growing - basically it has grown partially into Bridgeport, but not in the same. Just in the form of residential, some business, and whatever.

Dim Sum on the weekends there - very busy in many places and there's actually a bunch of late night food options there. There's a place that has dim sum until 2am.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
No San Francisco?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
No San Francisco?
SF probably has a case for #1 Chinatown in the country-at least IMO.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
No San Francisco?

Yeah, I would think NYC's and SF's Chinatowns are clearly above these 3. I was thinking about also including Seattle's Chinatown. But, my sense was that it wasn't as big as these 3.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philly's Chinatown will grow substantially over the next few years as there are several highrises/midrises proposed for the area and the city's Asian population increases.
Asians are going to move into those new highrises?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I would think NYC's and SF's Chinatowns are clearly above these 3. I was thinking about also including Seattle's Chinatown. But, my sense was that it wasn't as big as these 3.
Haven't been to Philadelphia before, but Boston is more active & dense than Chicago's.

Chicago's is not bad too, but is a little less active.

Seattle's is quite pathetic considering its decent-sized Asian population, but there are clusters of Asian retail districts in other parts of its metro.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Chicago's is not bad too, but is a little less active.
When's the last time you were there? it's gotten more active in the last year or two very noticeably. It's not terribly dense, but the thing is that Chinese populations have extended into the adjacent neighborhoods, which also have chinese stuff. Mainly Bridgeport, but also areas like McKinley Park, Douglas, Canaryville, and Brighton Park. The tracts of Bridgeport next to Chinatown are all about 60% Asian and you'll see and find Chinese characters on the businesses there and even temples.

Chinatown itself (Armour Square) has 9700 Asians in it. Bridgeport next to it has over 11,000. Douglas and McKinley Park both have 2500 apiece. South Loop area has another 3500. Brighton Park has another 2250. Those areas together have about 33,000 Asians in them and a little less than 1/3 actually live in Chinatown itself. Of course, not counting all the non Chinese people like myself who enjoy eating and spending time down there.

This temple, for example, is in Bridgeport on 31st Street:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/19896385.jpg

Chinatown is basically expanding into there but it's not very well known.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-08-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's not really removed. It's just south of the downtown area, but yeah it's actually pretty lively during the day. It is growing - basically it has grown partially into Bridgeport, but not in the same. Just in the form of residential, some business, and whatever.

Dim Sum on the weekends there - very busy in many places and there's actually a bunch of late night food options there. There's a place that has dim sum until 2am.
Sounds like many cities' Chinatowns are growing districts, as evidenced by your comment and Summers' comment on Philly's Chinatown. Los Angeles' is also growing and improving with a lot of new projects. Perhaps that is because Chinatowns are often located in less desirable but centrally-located parts of town - often around empty lots / demolished buildings and industrial areas. With all that open land to develop and the proximity to improving cores it makes sense that they would all be growing.

I'd say NYC, SF and Boston don't really follow this model though as they are pretty much already built-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City