Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 04:06 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Im not trying to single you out but i'm using this post as an example.

Peoples understanding of cities and their statuses always intrigues me. So much of it is experience and not fact based. However to see Chicago on a list of "next hot up & coming cities" baffles me.

But then the way people try and spin Chicago on here I shouldn't be suprised. Chicago is considered an "Alpha " world city by the Globalization and World Cities research network (GaWC). The GaWC is a think tank out of the UK. I do not think they have any special interest in elevating or promoting anything. Chicago being an Alpha+ world city puts it in an elite class with about ten other cities globally. This is a site for city enthusiasts I feel like we should all educate ourselves on the true size and impact the cities we talk about have. Even Detroit is considered a Beta world city meaning it has a significant impact economically both nationally, and to some extent globally.

Chicago is not an up and coming city, Chicago arrived decades ago, if not a century ago. Even Detroit which is a favorite punching bag holds clout given the nature of it's region.

List of GaWC cities and their classifications- GAWC World Cities - The World's Most Important Cities
Damn, Chicago is rated Alpha+ with Los Angeles being only Alpha. Don't let the LA posters know about this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Damn, Chicago is rated Alpha+ with Los Angeles being only Alpha. Don't let the LA posters know about this...
That's the 2010 list. In the most recent list (2012) Chicago fell to the Alpha category.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
That's the 2010 list. In the most recent list (2012) Chicago fell to the Alpha category.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Can't say I'm surprised an LA poster was quick to jump on that. Out of curiosity, since Chicago is at the top of the Alpha category, does that mean they are the highest ranked Alpha city whereas Brussels would be the lowest ranked Alpha city?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Orlando & Tampa - IMHO.

AUS, SEA, PDX are already there. They had their heyday back in the 90s and have continued gentrification.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
Columbus, Ohio
Asheville, North Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Omaha, Nebraska
Boise, Idaho
I can see Omaha and Columbus, but don't see the others being "up and coming."

Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Can't say I'm surprised an LA poster was quick to jump on that. Out of curiosity, since Chicago is at the top of the Alpha category, does that mean they are the highest ranked Alpha city whereas Brussels would be the lowest ranked Alpha city?
Yes, I believe the order in the list matters.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Really? I can -- for all of them actually. I thought that was a good list.

How many people think THEIR city will boom or turn the corner sometime soon? I'm curious how prevalent that is.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
I'm with you those were all good cities. I'd add Grand Rapids to this list but I'm an adopted homer. Even so the amounts of investment, the transformation, and it's uptick in population growth speak for itself.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:45 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
there are many roads that lead out of new orleans.
You are welcome to them all.
+2

Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
Columbus, Ohio
Asheville, North Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Omaha, Nebraska
Boise, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Boise has actually been "up and coming" for some years now and for instance has one of the most vibrant downtowns in the Intermountain West and downtown has also been pegged as one of the best in the west with the mix of housing, retail, nightlife, activities, parks, etc. I know top 10 lists can be redundant, but this city is no stranger to the "best of top 10" lists. The current growth in Boise and also with new downtown buildings is impressive. I have friends who come to Boise from Salt Lake City and Portland (yes Portland) to experience the local music scene and night life among other aspects of Boise.

I guess on the list above I would say Omaha is the one city I would not expect to be up and coming, but that is just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City