Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times

Advertisements

Cleveland when Lebron comes back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I have heard Mpls MN is a lovely city. But I'm not sure it has quite the same "cachet" as Portland, Seattle and Austin. Mpls MN has been a great city for a long, long time, but Portland/Seattle/Austin really became big on the scene in the last 15-20 yrs. I think Portland/Seattle/Austin also have more of a national draw, where people from all over the U.S. now want to move there. Where I would not say that people all over the U.S. want to move to MPLS. Nothing against MPLS at all, like I said I have heard nothing but good things. Also, the tendency in terms of population shifts the past 40+ years in the U.S. is to move to more mild winter climates (which Austin, Portland, Seattle have), midwest cities do not have a mild winters. So the next hip city is likely to be in a more mild climate area.
Agreed. However I would venture to guess that there will be yet another shift away from Sun Belt cities and towards cities that currently people consider to be undesirable climate-wise, such as Minneapolis, Cleveland, Chicago and even Seattle and Portland (which aren't exactly climate paradises either). Global Warming will likely make this trend a reality, the only question is when?

Story on Global Climate Change's Impact on Migration Patterns

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Your first paragraph part of your post could happen. Maybe there will be a trend where people will go back to more affordable, less crowded, older places with more water that are in the rust belt areas. But your 2nd paragraph....I'm talking next hot up and coming city in the next 10-15 years. I don't see mass evacuations from coastal cities happening in the next 10-15 yrs.
I tend to agree, with a few minor exceptions. I can see Minneapolis being in that mix, as well as Columbus, Des Moines, Madison and Grand Rapids as moderate metros growing at or above 15% per decade. Others that could grow that fast include Indy and Omaha (as well as New Orleans), and I think several current "dying" or slow-growth cities could start to grow much faster than they have in the last 60 years, including: Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Baltimore and Milwaukee and maybe even Detroit (relative to now at least).

Will any of these cities and their predicted growth rates exceed the Sun Belt or West Coast cities in the next 10-15 years? Probably not. But I think the balance may begin to start shifting somewhat by then.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Cincinnati isn't being considered for the 2016 DNC namely because it never submitted a bid for such. Earlier on, the city withdrew its bid for the 2016 RNC because of an inadequate arena.
I meant Columbus which is still in consideration.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
Boise and Spokane, and I'd love to see a city boom on the Oregon Coast but I don't see that happening at least right now.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Boise and Spokane, and I'd love to see a city boom on the Oregon Coast but I don't see that happening at least right now.
Its kinda weird that oregon has no major coastal city. But at the rate they are they would need actually create a real city. I think in the future that could be a real possibility if there was enough money interested.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Boise? No way. The last thing this country needs is another unsustainable desert city.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM

I admittedly know very little about Oregon but isn't most of the coastline VERY rough and inhospitable for living (I.e. Large waves, rocky shoreline, strong winds, steep cliffs, etc)?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Its kinda weird that oregon has no major coastal city. But at the rate they are they would need actually create a real city. I think in the future that could be a real possibility if there was enough money interested.
Neither Oregon or Washington will ever have a major city be created along either of its coasts. Both states have established parks and wildlife reserves on both the state and national level along the entire Pacific Northwest coastline, as well with Native American reservations. Suffice it to say, it's doubtful that the people of either state would allow developers to ravage their pristine land... At least not anytime soon.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Boise? No way. The last thing this country needs is another unsustainable desert city.
You must not know much about Boise because it is sustainable, eco friendly, and has a greater water supply then almost every city in the Mountain West with deep underground acquifers and abundant water from the massive Boise River watershed which begins in the Sawtooth Wilderness and flows through the forested mountains and river canyons to the valley. The Treasure Valley which Boise is in is one of the USA's and worlds most productive and diverse agricultural regions. The Treasure Valley helps feed America and the world and I'm pretty sure some of the products grown in the Treasure Valley feed your hungry belly over there in the midwest. Hardly "unsustainable". If anything, the Boise area sustains lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City