Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knoxville/Memphis
Knoxville 80 50.31%
Memphis 79 49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

Oh my, Shakeesa, you might want to educate yourself on Knoxville's current mayor if that's where you base your opinion of a city... Does the name Cesar Chavez mean anything to you?

Haslam was much more moderate when he was in Knoxville because he surrounded himself with moderate and even liberal advisors. In Nashville he has to contend with Governor Ramsey. Haslam is a karma chameleon if you haven't figured it out by now. Rudderless boat tossed around by the tides of politics. Blame the Democrats for not providing decent opposition, but in reality, who could have fought off the onslaught of self financed ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:02 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Oh my, Shakeesa, you might want to educate yourself on Knoxville's current mayor if that's where you base your opinion of a city... Does the name Cesar Chavez mean anything to you?
I have plenty of education.

Quote:
Haslam was much more moderate when he was in Knoxville because he surrounded himself with moderate and even liberal advisors. In Nashville he has to contend with Governor Ramsey. Haslam is a karma chameleon if you haven't figured it out by now. Rudderless boat tossed around by the tides of politics. Blame the Democrats for not providing decent opposition, but in reality, who could have fought off the onslaught of self financed ads.
Or you might not want to read too much into my comment, as I meant no harm, there is no reason to take offense. The voting trends prove Knoxville and the surrounding area are conservative, no matter what mayor they have in office, that is a fact.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:14 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Oh yes, the surrounding area/county votes conservatively, no argument there. And there are definitely conservatives in Knoxville, That's part of what I mean about having room for everyone.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Knoxville seems to be a little more conservative and Bible Belt-ish than Asheville, too. Although both Eastern TN and Western NC are pretty conservative/Bible Belt-ish for the most part.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:56 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I agree about Memphis...but Beale Street was a big let down for me. It kinda reminded me of a strip mall, and there was nothing but fields on the other side of the buildings. I expected more.
Fields? what Beale Street were you on, I didnt see any fields, when I was there

Old 07-15-2015, 05:55 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Memphis has that Old South, slightly sketchy reputation. Isn't it pretty dangerous? I've never been so I don't want to judge, but I'd go with Knoxville from the info I've heard on Memphis. At least Knoxville is more progressive (from what I've heard) and has the mountains, along with the University of Tennessee. If Knoxville went further down an Asheville, NC-ish road, that'd be super cool.
Knoxville wins this because Memphis is already a popular Tennessee city, warts and all. Memphis has a tourism industry that centers on its musical legacy, sites like the Lorraine Motel, and its Mississippi River location which gives it some prominence nationally. Knoxville lacks this and is really only known for being the home of UT.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:38 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
It has to be Memphis for reasons already discussed. Most everyone in the country knows about Memphis, be it Beale Street, the Grizzlies, Graceland, FedEx, even U of Memphis whenever the basketball program is good. Plus Memphis is the theme of one of the best songs ever about a city. Anyone with an FM radio has heard this song at least once in their life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK5YGWS5H84

Aside from U of Tennessee, and that one Simpsons episode, Knoxville is hardly known outside the Southeast.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Memphis might be the most noteworthy city in ALL of Tennessee, with all the history it has going for it. However, I don't believe an urban area exists in the state of Tennessee, and very few in the Sun Belt, that are as nice as Market Square. Old City I have heard is nice also. The entire city just feels safe and comfortable, plus it is way closer to the mountains than any other major city in TN. In fact, out of cities on the East Coast that have a CSA of over 1 Million, I think it wins for nature/scenery.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:51 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Memphis might be the most noteworthy city in ALL of Tennessee, with all the history it has going for it. However, I don't believe an urban area exists in the state of Tennessee, and very few in the Sun Belt, that are as nice as Market Square. Old City I have heard is nice also. The entire city just feels safe and comfortable, plus it is way closer to the mountains than any other major city in TN. In fact, out of cities on the East Coast that have a CSA of over 1 Million, I think it wins for nature/scenery.
Chattanooga's CSA is just shy of a million, so you may just win on a technicality there.

But then there's Pittsburgh to consider also.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:12 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chattanooga's CSA is just shy of a million, so you may just win on a technicality there.

But then there's Pittsburgh to consider also.
And Greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City