Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 PM

128 posts, read 223,093 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe, New Mexico or Portland, Maine? Which of these two cities would you rather live in and why? Here is some criteria below......

Which has the better weather?
Which is more laid back?
Which has the more friendly people?
Which has the better economy?
Which is more fun and has more to do?
Which has the better location?
Which is more affordable?
Which is more racially diverse?
Which is more Liberal?
Which is more Conservative?
Which has more transplants?
Which has more Millennials?
Which is better for single people?
Which is better for families?
Which one is more walkable?
Which has the better restaurants?
Which one is more artsy?
Which one is the better place to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
Which has the better weather? Santa Fe (much more sun and milder winters)
Which is more laid back? Santa Fe
Which has the more friendly people? Toss up
Which has the better economy? Toss up
Which is more fun and has more to do? Toss up
Which has the better location? Tough call - one is Ocean the other mnts/high desert
Which is more affordable? Probably Portland
Which is more racially diverse? Santa Fe
Which is more Liberal? Toss up
Which is more Conservative? Toss up
Which has more transplants? Santa Fe
Which has more Millennials? Don't know
Which is better for single people? Don't know
Which is better for families? Portland (SF is know for bad schools)
Which one is more walkable? Toss up - both have walkable downtowns
Which has the better restaurants? You like Lobster/Seafood or Mexican? Santa Fe probably has a better foodie scene
Which one is more artsy? Santa Fe
Which one is the better place to retire? Santa Fe if have to be there 12 mos - if snowbird I would take Portland summers over Santa Fe summers

Portland has a really freezing cold winter - summers I would take Portland because it's more green, I like the older architecture, ocean - but winters would be very tough in Maine. Overall if I was forced to choose one place to live for 12 mos I would choose Santa Fe. But if I could be a snowbird, I would do May 15th-Oct 15 in Portland and then fly to Arizona for Oct 15th-May 15th. Best of both worlds! Snow bird is the only way to go.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
These are two of my favorite places. I've spent a bit of time visiting both cities on several trips and they actually offer interesting contrasts. They are both similarly sized, very walkable, liberal and laid back small cities with an impressive culinary scene that makes use of locally-produced food. Yet I find it hard to see where anyone person would be torn between the two, however, because the most tangible differences lie in the location and "feel" of each city. Portland gives off an American colonial/New England vibe with lots of red-brick buildings and cobblestone alleys. It is located on a harbor and is a brief drive to the beautiful rocky north Atlantic coast. Not to mention, it is cooooold in winter. OTOH, Santa Fe gives off a distinctly Spanish colonial/Pueblo Indian vibe, with nearly every building covered in brown adobe. It is located in the beautiful high desert and summer days are really hot, but evenings tend to cool down nicely. Santa Fe is hands-down the artsier of the two. I could see skinny-jean-wearing hipsters with all of their tech gadgets more drawn to Portland and Santa Fe more appealing to sandal-wearing artsy-types.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I could see skinny-jean-wearing hipsters with all of their tech gadgets more drawn to Portland and Santa Fe more appealing to sandal-wearing artsy-types.
For Santa Fe I'd also add recently divorced middle aged hippie woman on a spiritual quest for "healing". She has a new career as a yoga instructor and runs a zen shop (funded by alimony from her ex-husband back in LA) and she has recently changed her name to Aurora Sage. OK maybe a little exaggerated....or maybe not??

Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 PM

51 posts, read 160,341 times
Which has the better weather? Portland gets more rain and snow but the weather isn't too much different. I would choose Santa Fe because the winters aren't as cold.
Which is more laid back? Tie
Which has the more friendly people? Tie
Which has the better economy? Portland
Which is more fun and has more to do? Portland
Which has the better location? Portland
Which is more affordable? Portland
Which is more racially diverse? Santa Fe is like 50 percent hispanic but pretty much only whites and hispanics live there, while Portland is predominately white but the minorities have more diversity.
Which is more Liberal? Both are very liberal
Which is more Conservative? Neither
Which has more transplants? Santa Fe
Which has more Millennials? Portland
Which is better for single people? Portland
Which is better for families?Portland
Which one is more walkable? Both
Which has the better restaurants? Tie
Which one is more artsy? Santa Fe
Which one is the better place to retire? Santa Fe

Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
For Santa Fe I'd also add recently divorced middle aged hippie woman on a spiritual quest for "healing". She has a new career as a yoga instructor and runs a zen shop (funded by alimony from her ex-husband back in LA) and she has recently changed her name to Aurora Sage. OK maybe a little exaggerated....or maybe not??
You nailed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City