Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,417,285 times

Advertisements

Rents in NYC Keep Going Up (But It's Even Worse in Other Cities.) | Village Voice

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
The top 6, including Boston, seemed accurate, although I think that the prices for NYC seem a little low, median or not..

The biggest surprise: Jacksonville, at No. 14, with a large increase since 2000. I really don't see the appeal..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The top 6, including Boston, seemed accurate, although I think that the prices for NYC seem a little low, median or not..

The biggest surprise: Jacksonville, at No. 14, with a large increase since 2000. I really don't see the appeal..
I do agree with this part of the article though.

"New Yorkers are sometimes a little parochial," Bresher says, "and don't always think about what's going on elsewhere in the country."

How is the growth doing in Jacksonville?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,318,865 times
I'm surprised how low those NYC numbers are. Sure not all of NYC is Manhattan, but you'd be hard pressed to find an apartment in most of the boroughs for under $1200. I wonder how much "rent control" is showing up here.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm surprised how low those NYC numbers are. Sure not all of NYC is Manhattan, but you'd be hard pressed to find an apartment in most of the boroughs for under $1200. I wonder how much "rent control" is showing up here.
Most people on this site aren't aware that NYC has 4 other boroughs lol.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I do agree with this part of the article though.

"New Yorkers are sometimes a little parochial," Bresher says, "and don't always think about what's going on elsewhere in the country."

How is the growth doing in Jacksonville?
I don't know--I just noticed the rental increase, and I don't know the specific reason why it would happen in Jacksonville. Maybe because it's perceived as a lower-cost living city than Miami, although the numbers don't really reflect this. I know that the city has professional football, and isn't far from the coast, but there must be something else happening there that I'm not aware of..

Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,813 times
If you factor in average income, LA has the least affordable rent in the nation. It comes down to relatively high rents and low incomes. Places like NYC and SF have much higher rent but the average incomes are much higher as well. The average Angeleno spends 47% of their income on their rent - that's the highest in the nation.

10 Charts That Show How and Why LA Has the Most Unaffordable Rental Market in the US - Rentally Deranged - Curbed LA

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/Documen...14-08WPrev.pdf

We need to be building far more highrises than we currently are to increase the housing supply and reduce upward pressure on rents. California has recent taken some steps to reduce some of the obstacles that were hanging up projects during their environmental reviews, so hopefully that will help move things along.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM

390 posts, read 941,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

I'm not surprised by Jacksonville. It's a major, warm climate city near the ocean...most cities of that type are growing rapidly. I wouldn't pay high rent to live there, but apparently many are willing to do so.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Most people on this site aren't aware that NYC has 4 other boroughs lol.
Still, that's pretty low, even for outer boroughs. I do wonder how much NYCHA/rent control is seeping in into those stats. The only place that can be that low is probably the Bronx. Both Queens and Brooklyn are definitely not that low for market rents, and those 2 boroughs constitute over half of NYC rents.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times
I amazed how high rents have gotten here in San Diego the last few years. My neighbor is renting her 1br1ba walk out basement apartment to a young couple (I don't even think it's legal-she just converted her living space and blocked off the stair) for $1650! Thats crazy- almost as much as our mortgage payment for a 7 room 3 ba house. And as DistrictDirt mentions above, the dearth of high paying jobs here make the rents especially unaffordable where at least in NYC, Boston or DC salaries are generally higher on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City