Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

Hey guys long story short I found this place while doing a search for a place to live once I graduate from college this year. My background is I'm a mechanical engineering student in Pomona, Southern California, and I'm originally from the Bay Area.

While I love the weather of California, I cannot stand the crowded feeling here in Socal. (Not that Pomona is anywhere near what Socal really has to offer) I am looking for a place that's cheaper to live and more quiet. That being said I like having the opportunity to visit the city for a sporting or entertainment event. From my experience, the Bay Area suburbs were a great place to live but it is very expensive to live in California nowadays.

From what I have heard Seattle, Portland, and Denver all seem like cool places but I'm interested to hear your opinions as I have not really explored the US too much.

As far as Criteria goes I'm looking for
-Weather (Warmer the better )
-Entertainment
-Traffic/Population/Congestion
-Economy
-Family Friendly (Eventually...)
-Young Population
-Scenery/Art

Those criteria might go for generally any college grad but feel free to add any other comments you might have.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
The general consensus for young people.

Tier 1: Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Boston
Tier 2: Denver, Minneapolis/St Paul, Raleigh/Durham

Unless you are exceptionally qualified, you might be better off looking into the Tier 2 cities I mentioned. Portland and Seattle especially are very flooded right now with young people and job competition can be very stuff. The Tier 2 cities have ample nightlife opportunities but aren't quite as popular as Portland and Seattle, and they have strong economies.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The general consensus for young people.

Tier 1: Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Boston
Tier 2: Denver, Minneapolis/St Paul, Raleigh/Durham

Unless you are exceptionally qualified, you might be better off looking into the Tier 2 cities I mentioned. Portland and Seattle especially are very flooded right now with young people and job competition can be very stuff. The Tier 2 cities have ample nightlife opportunities but aren't quite as popular as Portland and Seattle, and they have strong economies.
I second that.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,470 times
Atlanta seems to be flocking place for recent college grads. With 5 million people in the metro area it's not going to be quiet by any means but you could always live out in Alpharetta or Roswell or something and have the city a quick drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City