Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times

Advertisements

I have only driven through Omaha once, but it did remind a bit of Winnipeg, the cities are around the same size, houses look similar etc. Just curious how they compare against each other.

Quality of life:
Crime:
Education:
Tourism:
Culture:
Diversity:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:33 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Dont know much about either, but I'd go with Omaha.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I've been to Omaha on an overnight stop on a cross country roadtrip and it was nicer than I had expected with a nice walkable downtown with eclectic areas like the Old Market that had a bit of old world charm. The parks along the river are really enjoyable too.

I've never been to Winnipeg, but given its location just due north of North Dakota I can only imagine the winters there must be atrocious. It also has a reputation for having among the highest crime rates for cities in Canada so on paper it doesn't sound so good. But like Omaha I could roll into that city and change my mind and find something appealing about it that I like. I don't know anyone that has ever been to Winnipeg, but I am happy for them that they got their NHL team back.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Winnipeg definitely. Winnipeg wins every category with the possible exception of crime... It's is the biggest cultural, economic, business, population, and entertainment center in Canada for more than a 700 mile radius (closer to 350 miles including the US - still a very significant number), whereas Omaha is only a regional center. Naturally Winnipeg performs differently. Omaha is great and super duper underrated, but let's not turn this into another example of Americans not knowing anything about our next-door neighbors.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Omaha seems more interesting, but I haven't been to either. Omaha has a great zoo and I enjoy going to zoos. I also assume Omaha would be a closer drive to other interesting cities and would have good steaks.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Winnipeg definitely. Winnipeg wins every category with the possible exception of crime... It's is the biggest cultural, economic, business, population, and entertainment center in Canada for more than a 700 mile radius (closer to 350 miles including the US - still a very significant number), whereas Omaha is only a regional center. Naturally Winnipeg performs differently. Omaha is great and super duper underrated, but let's not turn this into another example of Americans not knowing anything about our next-door neighbors.
Yea, but doesn't that also mean it's incredibly isolated? If you're going to live in a smaller city where you have to have a car, I would think it'd be better if there are several possible weekend getaways.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,047 times
Default Winnipeg Wins!

I have travelled to both cities many times for my job. Winnipeg wins. Weather in the winter sucks but it is not that different and it seems that Winnipeg embraces winter more that Omaha, with many more things happening. Summer weather better in Winnipeg. Overall, there is more to see and do in Winnipeg, and Winnipeg is very close to beautiful lakes and one of the best beaches I have every been to.

I always try and catch a Jets game with one of our clients, and have enjoyed Goldeyes baseball games at Shaw park, a great venue right downtown, and a client recently took me to a Blue Bomber game. Their new stadium looked fantastic. Omaha has a nice new baseball stadium as well, and hosts the college world series, and I have seen a few games there as well, great place to catch a game, but overall I give the better experience to Winnipeg.

My car has been broken into twice in Omaha, and never in Winnipeg. Clients tell me the crime in Winnipeg is an aboriginal issue.

Downtown Omaha is not very exciting. The Old market in Omaha is a great place, and there are some neat historical buildings and I really enjoy Heartland of America Park , however I still prefer the vibe and feel of Downtown Winnipeg, The Forks, and The Exchange District. Given that the Metro population of Winnipeg is about 500,000 less Omaha, Winnipeg punches way above its weight, and in my opinion wins.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerboy View Post
I have travelled to both cities many times for my job. Winnipeg wins. Weather in the winter sucks but it is not that different and it seems that Winnipeg embraces winter more that Omaha, with many more things happening. Summer weather better in Winnipeg. Overall, there is more to see and do in Winnipeg, and Winnipeg is very close to beautiful lakes and one of the best beaches I have every been to.

I always try and catch a Jets game with one of our clients, and have enjoyed Goldeyes baseball games at Shaw park, a great venue right downtown, and a client recently took me to a Blue Bomber game. Their new stadium looked fantastic. Omaha has a nice new baseball stadium as well, and hosts the college world series, and I have seen a few games there as well, great place to catch a game, but overall I give the better experience to Winnipeg.

My car has been broken into twice in Omaha, and never in Winnipeg. Clients tell me the crime in Winnipeg is an aboriginal issue.

Downtown Omaha is not very exciting. The Old market in Omaha is a great place, and there are some neat historical buildings and I really enjoy Heartland of America Park , however I still prefer the vibe and feel of Downtown Winnipeg, The Forks, and The Exchange District. Given that the Metro population of Winnipeg is about 500,000 less Omaha, Winnipeg punches way above its weight, and in my opinion wins.
Thanks for sharing some good information about specific attractions/districts in each town, but the population numbers are closer than that. A quick check of Wikipedia has these numbers (rounded to nearest thousand):

Omaha/Council Bluffs metro: 895,000; Winnipeg metro: 730,000.

Too close to call for me. Have never been to Winnipeg and family drove through Omaha a long time ago when I was younger (way back in the 70's), but we did not stop there. College Baseball World Series is nice to have for Omaha and also agree it is nice that pro hockey returned to Winnipeg.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 PM

130 posts, read 290,430 times
^ Winnipeg has a metro of 730,000 and Omaha has 895,000

Last edited by koberaptor; 08-01-2014 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: nevermind, someone already posted the correct population

Old 08-02-2014, 12:49 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have only driven through Omaha once, but it did remind a bit of Winnipeg, the cities are around the same size, houses look similar etc. Just curious how they compare against each other.

Quality of life: Winnipeg
Crime: Winnipeg is considered a high crime city in Canada, and yet it still puts Omaha, considered a safe American city, to shame.
Education: Winnipeg, in quality in regard to both primary, secondary and postsecondary education. Omaha has a great university in Creighton, but American urban primary and secondary education tends to suck.
Tourism: Neither
Culture: Probably tied
Diversity: Probably Winnipeg
Cities in bold above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City