Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:46 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

These are two of the biggest Indian Communities or "Little Indias" in the Western Hemisphere. Containing Indian restaurants, shops, boutiques and jewelry stores. They also had Pakistan businesses. To me it seemed like Houston had a much higher Indian to Pakistan ratio, but either way both had more Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Lived in Chicago, currently live in Houston. Spent countless upon countless nights in both.

That said, Devon St. Hands down.

The Indian community in Houston is very significant, but it lags behind Chicago. Coming from suburban Dallas, the Indian community in places like Plano and Irving felt more visible than anywhere Ive seen in Houston (Hillcroft, Sugar Land, etc.).

Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Lived in Chicago, currently live in Houston. Spent countless upon countless nights in both.

That said, Devon St. Hands down.

The Indian community in Houston is very significant, but it lags behind Chicago. Coming from suburban Dallas, the Indian community in places like Plano and Irving felt more visible than anywhere Ive seen in Houston (Hillcroft, Sugar Land, etc.).
I'd probably agree that Devon is a little bigger community being that it is a little longer. But I don't know where your facts from, being that Houston had 120,000+ Indians as of 05. And Dallas as of 2010 barely has 100,000. Besides, Plano and Irving don't have a major "Little India" if you want to compare it to Hillcroft. The only major "Little Indias" in the US are Hillcroft in Houston, Devon in Chicago, and India Square in Jersey City.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I'd probably agree that Devon is a little bigger community being that it is a little longer. But I don't know where your facts from, being that Houston had 120,000+ Indians as of 05. And Dallas as of 2010 barely has 100,000. Besides, Plano and Irving don't have a major "Little India" if you want to compare it to Hillcroft. The only major "Little Indias" in the US are Hillcroft in Houston, Devon in Chicago, and India Square in Jersey City.
You're wrong sir. As of 2013, Dallas had 125k Indians while Houston had 113k. Also, Dallas has more of every South Asian ethnicity except Pakistanis where Houston has more. Also immigration from India to Dallas is much greater per the INS numbers.

You're right that the Dallas area does not have an official Little India. But it doesn't need one. Spend any amount of time in North Plano or Valley Ranch and you'll see tons of markets, restaurants, as well as Indians in American stores like Wal Mart.

Take it from someone who has lived in both. The Dallas area not only has more Indians, but it feels like it has more Indians.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You're wrong sir. As of 2013, Dallas had 125k Indians while Houston had 113k. Also, Dallas has more of every South Asian ethnicity except Pakistanis where Houston has more. Also immigration from India to Dallas is much greater per the INS numbers.

You're right that the Dallas area does not have an official Little India. But it doesn't need one. Spend any amount of time in North Plano or Valley Ranch and you'll see tons of markets, restaurants, as well as Indians in American stores like Wal Mart.

Take it from someone who has lived in both. The Dallas area not only has more Indians, but it feels like it has more Indians.
After doing some research, I find different sources giving Dallas bigger numbers and others giving Houston. And all are supposively reliable resources, but either way, both metros have very large Indian populations. I originally thought Houston has the bigger population, but then again San Francisco, Dallas and DC also do and none of those have a large "Little India". But it could also be because Houston's population is closer together. In DFW, you'd still be in the urban core if you're in Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving. While Houston the urban core consists of Houston itself, extending to some towns right outside but mainly Houston. Same as in Chicago. But one thing I do say, is how Little India and Chinatown have urbanized the Southwest side of Houston over the decades. The 5901 Hillcroft Plaza feels like you're still in uptown. And that being said, since Hillcroft is such vibrantly India, when Indians come to Houston, they tend to go around Hillcroft, or even Sugar Land since it's the closest suburb to Hillcroft. While in DFW they'll be all around the metroplex since there's not necessarily one spot to go to.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
After doing some research, I find different sources giving Dallas bigger numbers and others giving Houston. And all are supposively reliable resources, but either way, both metros have very large Indian populations. I originally thought Houston has the bigger population, but then again San Francisco, Dallas and DC also do and none of those have a large "Little India". But it could also be because Houston's population is closer together. In DFW, you'd still be in the urban core if you're in Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving. While Houston the urban core consists of Houston itself, extending to some towns right outside but mainly Houston. Same as in Chicago. But one thing I do say, is how Little India and Chinatown have urbanized the Southwest side of Houston over the decades. The 5901 Hillcroft Plaza feels like you're still in uptown. And that being said, since Hillcroft is such vibrantly India, when Indians come to Houston, they tend to go around Hillcroft, or even Sugar Land since it's the closest suburb to Hillcroft. While in DFW they'll be all around the metroplex since there's not necessarily one spot to go to.
Of course the OP is about Devon St vs Hillcroft and od course some Homers have to interject other metro's into the discussion.

I think your biggest and most lavish Hindu Temples in Texas are in the Houston area if that means anything .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAPS_S...Mandir_Houston

Old 08-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
In DFW, the Indian population does feel quite a bit larger to me just as the East Asian population feels a lot larger in Houston. Indians in Dallas are a suburban breed. Very few actually live in Dallas itself, but Plano and Irving have exceptional numbers given the size like Sugar Land does.

I would argue that last point though. Based on the population numbers, the Indian population in each city is:

Houston: 37,187
Irving: 27,337
Plano: 22,939
Sugar Land: 11,045

Bear in mind Houston is a city of 2.2 million and Plano and Irving are suburbs around 200k. Thats going to create a much bigger Indian feel. Its going to be much easier to congregate in Irving than anywhere else especially for South Indians.

Dallas may not have an official Little India, but downtown Irving has a statue of Gandhi. There isnt even a statue of an American figure there. If that isnt a testament to the Indian community there, I dont know what is:

Masterpiece of the month: Gandhi statue in Irving | Dallas Morning News

Also, here is the international immigration data from India to the US by Metro Area in 2013:

International Immigrants from India (all over 1k listed):

New York: 10,818
San Francisco/San Jose: 6,831
Chicago: 4,120
Washington/Baltimore: 2,972
Dallas: 2,905
Los Angeles/Riverside: 2,902
Philadelphia: 2,415
Houston: 2,348
Seattle: 2,066
Atlanta: 2,036
Boston: 1,524
Detroit: 1,463

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Houston is more diverse and definately has a more visable East Asian population. But as far which feels more Indian, thats the suburbs of Dallas moreso than anywhere else Ive been in the Southern US inlcuding the Houston area.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Of course the OP is about Devon St vs Hillcroft and od course some Homers have to interject other metro's into the discussion.

I think your biggest and most lavish Hindu Temples in Texas are in the Houston area if that means anything .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAPS_S...Mandir_Houston
A Dallas to Chicago Indian community would have been better. There isnt a little India per se, but comparing the northern suburbs of Dallas to the Northwestern suburbs of Chicago would have been ideal.

And of course there is this:

Frisco's Hindu Temple opens with world record

The problem with you Jack is that it seems youve never left Houston and are clueless about anything outside this city. Ive lived other places and I have the data to back it up. So sit down.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
A Dallas to Chicago Indian community would have been better. There isnt a little India per se, but comparing the northern suburbs of Dallas to the Northwestern suburbs of Chicago would have been ideal.

And of course there is this:

Frisco's Hindu Temple opens with world record

The problem with you Jack is that it seems youve never left Houston and are clueless about anything outside this city. Ive lived other places and I have the data to back it up. So sit down.
Pete chill, this is just silly, quit trying to act like such a brawler I know you're not...

The OP disagrees that another comparison would have been better . If you think such a comparison would have been better why didn't you start a new thread instead of insulting the OP with your proclamations of irrelevance of his comparison.

So 4 days ago Frisco got a new Temple , Only a real Homer would have possibly have known that. You can use all the attitude you want but I doubt this Temple compares to the one in Stafford and as usual details other than the usual vague declarations of North Texas hype are to be found on the internet. I did find one reference to a Hindu Temple in Frisco that said the plans are for a two story Temple on 2.5 acres of land. If this is the Temple you are posting about it pales in comparison to the Temple in Stafford which reaches 73 ft in Height and it situated on 22 acres of land.

Welcome to Hindu Temple of Frisco

Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Pete chill, this is just silly, quit trying to act like such a brawler I know you're not...

The OP disagrees that another comparison would have been better . If you think such a comparison would have been better why didn't you start a new thread instead of insulting the OP with your proclamations of irrelevance of his comparison.

So 4 days ago Frisco got a new Temple , Only a real Homer would have possibly have known that. You can use all the attitude you want but I doubt this Temple compares to the one in Stafford and as usual details other than the usual vague declarations of North Texas hype are to be found on the internet. I did find one reference to a Hindu Temple in Frisco that said the plans are for a two story Temple on 2.5 acres of land. If this is the Temple you are posting about it pales in comparison to the Temple in Stafford which reaches 73 ft in Height and it situated on 22 acres of land.

Welcome to Hindu Temple of Frisco
Thats not the only Hindu Temple in DFW, just one of them. They broke a record, thats cool. Since most of my friends from Dallas are Indian, it wasnt far fetched to find out about it.

If the size of the Hindu Temple was an indication of the presence of the Indian community, then Atlanta would take the cake since its the largest. But the Indian community in Atlanta is far smaller than Dallas or Houston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAPS_S...Mandir_Atlanta

You dont seem to have any experience outside of Houston. I lived in DFW for 6 years and now live here. You insist Houston is better at everything and it isnt. Its better at a lot of things, but not everything.

Last edited by JMT; 08-05-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City