Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM

69 posts, read 263,582 times

Advertisements

I live in the Seattle area and I have read a lot about Minneapolis-St Paul (MSP) area, but I have never been to MSP. However, I have heard that MSP is even better than Seattle.

What is everyone's opinion on this, and why do you think one area is or isn't better than the other?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,512 times
Depends on how one defines "better". Seattle is much more expensive, but has milder weather than MSP. MSP is less transient, but Seattle probably has a slightly stronger economy. Seattle has a downtown waterfront and nearby mountains, but MSP is surrounded by lakes and has tons of lakes within it's metro. Seattle has a slightly more dense urban core, but much worse traffic than MSP. Both cities have lively, vibrant, walkable downtowns with nice skylines.

Both are great cities/metros in their own right. Roughly the same size, and a few similarities vibe-wise. Obviously Seattle is West coast and MSP is Midwest, but they both have a somewhat similar feel. I love both cities/metros. Two of my favorites in the U.S. Hard to say which is better than the other.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Define better?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
No, people here look up to Seattle as a more bigger, more important and iconic city. you hear a lot of people who dreams of visiting Seattle and people who want to move their after they graduate college.

i doubt you hear as many people from Seattle wanting to visit or live in Minneapolis.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Better in what way?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No, people here look up to Seattle as a more bigger, more important and iconic city. you hear a lot of people who dreams of visiting Seattle and people who want to move their after they graduate college.

i doubt you hear as many people from Seattle wanting to visit or live in Minneapolis.
Yet the OP is exactly this.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Wrong. People in the Twin Cities generally think of Seattle as a peer city.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
I have never been to either one. But, my perception is that they are, currently, more or less in the same tier, but with Seattle comfortably ahead. They both have reputations as clean, well kept, progressive cites, that never suffered the declines of the rust belt cities.

However, Seattle is rising faster and gradually pulling away from Minneapolis. Urban development in Minneapolis is steady as she goes, while Seattle is growing like gangbusters. Additionally, Seattle seems to have the repuation for having the most vibrant urban core outside the 6 or 7 most urban cities (NYC,CHI,SF,PHILLY,BOS,DC, and maybe LA), with a top 6 downtown. Seattle appears to be headed for a SF/BOS-lite costal elitist city status, while Minneapolis appears to be holding steady on the national scale.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
I've been to both, and just really, really, love Seattle. We took the Victoria Clipper up to Victoria, and then a ferry over to Vancouver. There's just more to do in Seattle, and downtown was teeming with pedestrians...not something you see in Minneapolis.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Wrong. People in the Twin Cities generally think of Seattle as a peer city.
Minneapolis elitist do, not the majority of the people in the metro however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City