Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the winning Urban Park?
Central Park 41 48.81%
Chicago lakefront/Grant/Lincoln 43 51.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM

591 posts, read 781,729 times

Advertisements

sorry but for me this isn't even a competition. the miles of lakefront train connecting the big lakefront parks is great for bike riders and runners. in the downtown area you have the great mix of parks. grant: a standard city park millennium: an art sculpture park maggie daily(Under Construction) : kids fun park and Northly island(Under Construction): nature park. those alone beat Centural park imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Tough one for me and love them both. I live in NYC now, and Chicago for 6 years, and I have to say i found myself going to Lincoln Park more than I do central park now because of the beach.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Why only Central Park? Why not include another Manhattan park?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Well two reasons...one because it's Central Park...the most visited park in the country (Lincoln is number 2) and because Lincoln and Grant Parks to me seem like two wings of one vast park...albeit connected only by a bike path. Thousands if not tens of thousands of people daily visit both parks for biking running walking and in the minds of Chicagoans the lakefront parks are de facto one interconnected park.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:57 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Well I'm not a homer. So my vote isn't as one. But I did live in Chicago for a few years and visit yearly. My assessment or mere opinion is. CHICAGO'S Grant Park with the added Millennium Park are not intended to be a TOTAL ESCAPE from the city and skyline at its feet. But is very much CHICAGO'S FRONT LAWN. Introducing it and steers you into the urban majesty before it and is very much American with European attributes like Buckingham Fountain and rose gardens. All is as the front lawn to the Palace. The cityscape as the PALACE. Whereas Manhattan's Central Park is very much to ESCAPE the hustle that is the cityscape that is Manhattan and its Majesty. Central Park is European in flavor and Old World. While Grant/Millennium Park are more Contemporary American feel. Grant park as is Central Park are entirely manmade. With Grant Park made from Landfill after the a Great Chicago Fire and also hides a underground parking garage. One advantage also Grant Park has is being open on the east totally to the expanse that is Lake Michigan with a Harbor and Museum Compass to the south and Navy Pier to its northeast. Some would say connected to Lincoln Park by the shoreline walkway and bicycle path past a couple beaches downtown, to Lincoln Parks beaches, Harbor and Zoo. Where NYC''s Central Park is still world Renowned as a première Urban Park. It is MANHATTAN'S center COURTYARD and as a BACKYARD to ESCAPE URBANITY and playground ? CHICAGO'S GRANT/MILLENNIUM PARK is very much a FRONT LAWN to invite you into the URBANITY and to embrace it. Just how I perceive the two GREAT PARKS.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I did love Central Park's ability to completely take you away from the city in many areas. It was like a wilderness sometimes and that was great when you're right in the middle of manhattan. Love lincoln park too. Different parks, both really nice.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Well I'm not a homer. So my vote isn't as one. But I did live in Chicago for a few years and visit yearly. My assessment or mere opinion is. CHICAGO'S Grant Park with the added Millennium Park are not intended to be a TOTAL ESCAPE from the city and skyline at its feet. But is very much CHICAGO'S FRONT LAWN. Introducing it and steers you into the urban majesty before it and is very much American with European attributes like Buckingham Fountain and rose gardens. All is as the front lawn to the Palace. The cityscape as the PALACE. Whereas Manhattan's Central Park is very much to ESCAPE the hustle that is the cityscape that is Manhattan and its Majesty. Central Park is European in flavor and Old World. While Grant/Millennium Park are more Contemporary American feel. Grant park as is Central Park are entirely manmade. With Grant Park made from Landfill after the a Great Chicago Fire and also hides a underground parking garage. One advantage also Grant Park has is being open on the east totally to the expanse that is Lake Michigan with a Harbor and Museum Compass to the south and Navy Pier to its northeast. Some would say connected to Lincoln Park by the shoreline walkway and bicycle path past a couple beaches downtown, to Lincoln Parks beaches, Harbor and Zoo. Where NYC''s Central Park is still world Renowned as a première Urban Park. It is MANHATTAN'S center COURTYARD and as a BACKYARD to ESCAPE URBANITY and playground ? CHICAGO'S GRANT/MILLENNIUM PARK is very much a FRONT LAWN to invite you into the URBANITY and to embrace it. Just how I perceive the two GREAT PARKS.

good analogy. I wonder...if Chicago didn't have the luxury of being on a lake with the easy escape from the city that offers (just staring at the water for a few minutes can erase the stress).... Would Chicago have built a Central Park type park to get away from the city? probably.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Well, if these are such different beasts, then why not compare NYC's riverfront/bayfront parks with Chicago's lakefront parks? Manhattan itself has a greenway for most of its perimeter that connects a string of fairly sizable parks and there are also a good lot of parks along the water borders of the other boroughs with the most notable being the Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM

275 posts, read 416,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, if these are such different beasts, then why not compare NYC's riverfront/bayfront parks with Chicago's lakefront parks? Manhattan itself has a greenway for most of its perimeter that connects a string of fairly sizable parks and there are also a good lot of parks along the water borders of the other boroughs with the most notable being the Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Yes, a better comparison would have been between Manhattan's riverside parks vs Chicago's lakeside parks.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Yes, a better comparison would have been between Manhattan's riverside parks vs Chicago's lakeside parks.
Or even the Gateway National Recreation Area (I guess it would have to be minus the NJ part - Sandy Hook) to compete with a direct waterfront park - lake vs ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City