Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Quite a few times and the volatile and sometime disappointing change in landscape never ceases to amaze me. Everything is relative. You are trying to convince/impress someone from PA-arguably the most consistently beautiful state in the country- to be impressed with an 80 mile swath of pacific desert mountain, its just not going to happen my man.

Perhaps the joke is on you.

Chester County Pa(top 20 wealthiest counties in usa) is larger than Napa County. Thats merely 1 county of about 6 or 7 that surround Philadelphia.Each more aesthetically appealing than the next. With slight differences we have about 6 or 7 continuous Napa Valleys surrounding Philadelphia that no one seems to know about .Or maybe its the east coast humbleness to not feel the need to glorify the things that make this a great region to live. Unlike its western brethren.

Chester County Pa

http://www.usahotair.com/images/chestercounty.jpg

Berks County PA at Pulpit Rock

http://www.kyleshikes.com/uploads/1/...67559_orig.jpg
You are truly delusional, Pennsylvania is pretty, CA is spectacular, you really need to take off your homer glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 01:40 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
This thread was supposed to be about the "adventurous lifestyle," whatever that's supposed to be. How did it end up being a pissing match about whether California or Pennsylvania is prettier?

Western cities generally seem to appeal to the outdoorsman more than Eastern cities. If outdoors-y is really what we mean by "adventurous lifestyle," then yes, you would have to say that SF and LA are more "adventurous" than Philadelphia. It's well-known that hiking, surfing, etc. is considered part of the overall package of those regions, even if a lot of people won't actually ever engage in such activities.

That's simply a difference between SF/LA and Philadelphia. It doesn't make one better or worse. Someone who prefers Philly would likely move there for entirely different reasons (the skyline not being one of those reasons).

Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,182,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

That's simply a difference between SF/LA and Philadelphia. It doesn't make one better or worse. Someone who prefers Philly would likely move there for entirely different reasons (the skyline not being one of those reasons).
Ah, but the skyline could be a reason--don't discount aesthetic preferences entirely. There's something to be said (and paid) for a view.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Philly offers much more of this kind of "adventurous lifestyle" though. After Nicky Scarfo's first hit, it's said that he yelled out: "I love this life!"

Inside the American Mob S01E03 New York Philly War - YouTube

Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Ah, but the skyline could be a reason--don't discount aesthetic preferences entirely. There's something to be said (and paid) for a view.
People will pay for a view once they're already there. Many won't switch jobs and move to Philadelphia to stare at the skyline every night.

I wonder how that conversation would sound at work.

"So Jim, heard you're moving to Philly. Can't get enough of those cheesesteaks, eh?"

"Yeah, the cheesesteaks are good. But I really want to see that skyline. There's just something about the Comcast Center that send shivers up my spine. I can't wait to be near it. To photograph it. To walk inside of it."

"You mean, you're not moving for family, a better social scene, job opportunities, four distinct seasons, etc."

"Yeah, I mean, the job opportunities are part of it. I wouldn't move there without a job, ya know. But it's really just nice to have a skyline I can enjoy every single night. The Philly skyline is the reason I turned down a higher paying job in DC. DC doesn't have skyscrapers and a city without skyscrapers simply won't work for me."

Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,664,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Quite a few times and the volatile and sometime disappointing change in landscape never ceases to amaze me. Everything is relative. You are trying to convince/impress someone from PA-arguably the most consistently beautiful state in the country
You are the first person I have ever heard argue that. I have heard people say that California is the most beautiful state many times.

Quote:
- to be impressed with an 80 mile swath of pacific desert mountain, its just not going to happen my man.
Huh? You said LA was crammed between desert and ocean and I told you that you were wrong.

Quote:
Perhaps the joke is on you.

Chester County Pa(top 20 wealthiest counties in usa) is larger than Napa County.
So because the county is bigger that makes it more beautiful? That's a pretty delusional thing to say.

Quote:
Thats merely 1 county of about 6 or 7 that surround Philadelphia.Each more aesthetically appealing than the next. With slight differences we have about 6 or 7 continuous Napa Valleys surrounding Philadelphia that no one seems to know about.
Napa county isn't the only beautiful county in Northern California, practically all of them are. I would argue that Marin County, Sonoma County and Mendocino County are all prettier than Napa, and those are just the ones right next to Napa County.

Quote:
Or maybe its the east coast humbleness to not feel the need to glorify the things that make this a great region to live. Unlike its western brethren.
You are doing an excellent job of exemplifying this East Coast humbleness!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Philly offers much more of this kind of "adventurous lifestyle" though. After Nicky Scarfo's first hit, it's said that he yelled out: "I love this life!"

Inside the American Mob S01E03 New York Philly War - YouTube
I'm not Italian though so I could never be a made guy--at best I'd be a mid-level mob associate like Henry Hill.

Isn't there a Polish mob in Philly? I've got the ethnic heritage for that one...

Old 10-16-2014, 02:53 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Quote:
People will pay for a view once they're already there. Many won't switch jobs and move to Philadelphia to stare at the skyline every night.

I wonder how that conversation would sound at work.
There is a reason they charge more for views like this:

I can tell you from experience working in the Residential Real Estate industry that more people consider views than those who don't. Just like those people that prefer a view of trees or mountains or hills, there are people who prefer views of skylines and the cityscape.

I don't know why that is so confusing for some people.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm not Italian though so I could never be a made guy--at best I'd be a mid-level mob associate like Henry Hill.

Isn't there a Polish mob in Philly? I've got the ethnic heritage for that one...
Yes, haven't you ever heard of the Kielbasa wars...

Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

They're known as The Kielbasa Posse-and no I'm not joking haha. Port Richmond would be the place for you.

The K&A Gang probably has some Poles too but mostly Irish.

Great book

Confessions of a Second Story Man: Junior Kripplebauer and the K & A Gang: Allen M. Hornblum: 9781569804995: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City