Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I would completely agree, I would add any Alaskan city as well, but I wasn't sure if we were just talking about the lower 48.
Yeah, I agree with Alaska too, though most of it seems so rural or suburban I didn't think it would be included, since the post said 'metro areas'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There is a difference between....

Paying more for a great view in a city you're already living in and...

Moving to a city for a view of the skyline.

I thought I was clear about that. What is it I'm missing? You hear people say they are moving to LA for the weather, the beach, the mountains, etc. You don't hear people say they are moving to Philadelphia for its awesome skyline. You don't even hear people say they are moving to New York for its awesome skyline. A skyline isn't a "lifestyle" anyway. And when people say they are moving to a place like L.A. or Colorado for "the mountains," they are usually talking about a more active, physical lifestyle, not just having mountains for the sake of aesthetics.
To skyline enthusiasts, a skyline is a lifestyle, a living, breathing thing that defines a city and is always changing. Hence the cap on skyline threads. Anytime you pour billions of dollars into something, people will take interest. Perhaps I'm in the minority, I'll concede, but if I'm moving to the big city, it better look the part. Perhaps why I have issues with Phoenix and Boston-- I can find bigger skyline alternatives. To me, a skyline should be powerful and imposing, a reflection of a cities prestige. Mountains and the like are natural, but skylines are manmade--they scream human ingenuity and defiance. And as far as things to do, go to the top of a skyline. No, it's not hiking, but it has its pleasure all the same. So point being, all things being equal (job security, money, COL, etc), I'll take the skyline--and I bet I'm not the only one.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:17 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
To skyline enthusiasts, a skyline is a lifestyle, a living, breathing thing that defines a city and is always changing. Hence the cap on skyline threads. Anytime you pour billions of dollars into something, people will take interest. Perhaps I'm in the minority, I'll concede, but if I'm moving to the big city, it better look the part. Perhaps why I have issues with Phoenix and Boston-- I can find bigger skyline alternatives. To me, a skyline should be powerful and imposing, a reflection of a cities prestige. Mountains and the like are natural, but skylines are manmade--they scream human ingenuity and defiance. And as far as things to do, go to the top of a skyline. No, it's not hiking, but it has its pleasure all the same. So point being, all things being equal (job security, money, COL, etc), I'll take the skyline--and I bet I'm not the only one.
So you'd rather live in Houston over Boston because it has a more imposing skyline?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
So you'd rather live in Houston over Boston because it has a more imposing skyline?
Personally? If all things were equal money wise, yes. The skyline would be the deciding factor, just as the weather would be to someone else. I chose Philadelphia over Boston precisely because of that reason. I get great pleasure in looking at a great skyline, just as someone gets from viewing a Mt Rainier. In 2014, city amenities, outside of public transportation, are largely the same. It's the city's character that is the deciding factor, and skylines, a great measure of a city's "character", do it for me (if money is no object).

Old 10-17-2014, 12:11 AM

To answer the thread, though, LA. I like skylines but I don't find then adventurous in the least. LAs mountains and beaches all day.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
How on earth did this 1 post troll.... I mean OP drag Philly into this?
Clearly everything is subjective. I see California as one of if not " Thee" most beautiful state in the US. ( Maybe HI, FL, or WA) will have something about that.

Anyway as far as the argument over natural landscape vs man made buildings, that's really subjective. I love it all but I'm a city kind of guy who loves walkability, entertainment, various ethnicities, cool neighborhoods whether they're brownstones, greystones, rowhomes, semi detached, or separate with large lawns. Also a great skyline is always good to have.

I had a friend that resided in South Philly/CC or what is now known as graduate hospital. This was 1990 when he received a job offer in Phoenix and was so excited about it after the interview and visit. He would visit and tell our group of friends how much he loved the beautiful canyon of mountains he lived near. The sunshine, it's an up and coming city and how his South Philly neighborhood was sucking the life out of him, Yaddda yadda yadda. The photos he'd show were very nice. Funny thing is by 1994 he wanted out. Claimed the mountain views and canyon living was just boring and soulless and how he missed the pace and bustle of a real city and of course the food, etc.

So he attempted to move back but could not get his old job back nor one that paid what he was making at the time. He did find employment in Chicago and loved it even in the winter. Said the skyline was killer, loved the loop, Rush St, etc. Two summers ago I saw him at the KOP Mall and found out he moved back to Philly in 2010 after he retired. ( His words ) The city has transformed marvelously and I just grew tired of hearing about " Da Bearz" etc. ( lol)
He's happy, likes Chicago's skyline better but really enjoys Philadelphia's and the views he gets from his rooftop patio in Fairmount. We get a kick out of him being someone who moved to Arizona in a serene environment then retires to a city like Philly. (lol) it's all subjective.

Last edited by Lenses & Lights.; 10-17-2014 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: S

Old 10-17-2014, 03:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
I feel like some people just like to be contrary to everything else (people who move somewhere just because of a skyline) just to say they are different. It's the whole hipster mentality of not wanting to be 'mainstream'.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I feel like some people just like to be contrary to everything else (people who move somewhere just because of a skyline) just to say they are different. It's the whole hipster mentality of not wanting to be 'mainstream'.
I really don't know what mentality it is besides people being different because "they are." I reside in the farthest end of North Hollywood and the next town Tujunga has lot's of hills and beautiful streets and the people I know who live there, love it. It's not for me. Neither is DTLA.

I like to visit all of these places including Malibu but would not reside there. If I were to stay in LA I would probably settle down on the Westside or in it's vicinity. With that said, I'm returning to Philly and I'm not a hipster nor is my friend who returned 4 years ago. We're Gen X'ers.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:31 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Okay, but what does that have to do with a "lifestyle," which is what this thread is about in case you haven't noticed. What is the skyline lifestyle?

Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Okay, but what does that have to do with a "lifestyle," which is what this thread is about in case you haven't noticed. What is the skyline lifestyle?
The skyline lifestyle is simply obsessing over skylines, plain and simple. Following any new developments closely on tall and supertall construction. Endlessly photographing buildings from different vantage points. Visiting observation decks. Plotting their construction. Debating their merits with other enthusiasts. Sometimes, illegally visiting a site.

Is it a niche lifestyle? Sure, in the same way knitting or kayaking is. But given the high internet interest, even on here, it's not that obscure. Skylines matter to people--otherwise they wouldn't exist and people wouldn't debate them so vigorously. They are one of the best indicators of a city's power and prestige, and of human ingenuity. The end all, be all? No, as evident by Boston, European cities, etc. But they matter and they are a "lifestyle" to a substantial enough segment of the population. Might sound silly, but there is an adventurous spirit to cracking the skies--whatever floats your boat, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City