Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 PM

40 posts, read 48,274 times

Advertisements

Which city considered to have a better tech opportunities?
Please people with recent experience, waiting to hear y'alls opinion.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 7,127 times
Austin, by far.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitsirhc View Post
Austin, by far.
Not exactly. It depends on what you want.

If you're in programming or telecommunications. Dallas is better.

If you're into design or innovation, Austin is better.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM

102 posts, read 129,441 times
Austin for sure

Old 05-03-2016, 01:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Not exactly. It depends on what you want.

If you're in programming or telecommunications. Dallas is better.

If you're into design or innovation, Austin is better.

^ This! Also jobs aside because one could secure a good tech job in either the cost of living is becoming a factor in Austin that little city is becoming particularly pricey.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM

40 posts, read 48,274 times
Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered_by_Espresso View Post
Austin for sure
Just wanted to mention I was looking in indeed for, "system administrator", "network administrator", "help desk".
In Dallas I got twice as much result in every search...

Old 05-04-2016, 09:39 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedon View Post
Just wanted to mention I was looking in indeed for, "system administrator", "network administrator", "help desk".
Well, DFW is larger. I think many of the posters saying Austin with little else added are doing so because Austin is stereotypically the tech city of Texas (excluding Oil related), since the Tech industry is a larger proportion of the whole. That said, I believe DFW has a larger Tech industry in absolute (I know I read an article saying it had the most Tech workers in Texas), but it makes up a much smaller share of the whole.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
It's useful to define tech. And some types tend to locate far away from other types.

A "help desk" is typically somewhere with cheap, available labor, not in the well-known tech capitals.

Device manufacturing also goes to cheaper places, with power costs often playing a bigger role, and shipping costs being a factor.

Data centers go for cheap power (the biggest nodes) and proximity to data sources (when necessary or useful).

The tech capitals tend to have the programming, creative content, main offices, and so on.

Some of the "capitals" stuff is increasingly offshored or offstated for cost.

Then there's startups. Kudos to this thread for not overdoing that one. It's a component, and while a large percentage is in the San Francisco Bay area it's also broader based than where those companies will end up as they grow.

And some fields are really tied to other industries. Every major firm has an IT department.

And what is tech really? Some lists include biotech. My area likes to add aircraft engineering and even manufacturing. Regional chambers of commerce tend to link to whatever list defines "tech" in the way that makes them look the best.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM

515 posts, read 558,087 times
"Tech" is such a broad term. If we are talking software start-ups per capita: Austin.
Anything in manufacturing: Dallas by far.
Also, pay in Dallas will be higher(speaking from experince) and COL lower.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedon View Post

That is because Dallas is a MUCH bigger market than Austin. In sheer numbers, it will have more opportunities, also Dallas has more corporations so more of those lower end tech functions.

Tech in Austin is much more on the start up side, later stage small companies, and semi-conductors (manufacturers and supplies). Very different places, for what you are looking for Dallas is better, also try Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City