Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city best meets my criteria?
Cleveland 20 35.09%
Madison, WI 37 64.91%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM

223 posts, read 315,165 times

Advertisements

I should be clear that I won't be actually living in the city itself, but more in the country with some land.

Which city is better in terms of:

Outdoor activities
Beautiful nature
Lower cost of living and taxes
Health/organic food and restaurants
Low crime
Friendly folks
Prosperous economy
Clean air, very low pollution
A swimable, boatable, clean body of water
Nice, affordable stock of homes on 5+ acres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:03 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
If you live in the Midwest, Madison or maybe Ann Arbor is what you're looking for.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
If you live in the Midwest, Madison or maybe Ann Arbor is what you're looking for.
Ann Arbor, while a dynamic city, is very expensive and is not really close to a lot of nature. Inside Michigan, Grand Rapids is the gem. However, the OP is comparing Madison to Cleveland. Both should be fine. What matters is your job and income, I would assume. Both cities have good points. Madison is a nice city surrounded by lakes. Cleveland does have lake Erie but it is not really a maritime culture. However, there are a lot of parks/trails in the area. In terms of crime, Madison is much safer. Cleveland is a larger metro area. But both should work.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:44 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
This may help a little bit: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf
Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

Old 02-15-2015, 09:51 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
In terms of nature, Cleveland wins out. It offers a national park, one of the best metroparks systems in the country, and a Great Lake. The notion that we don't have a "maritime culture" here is ridiculous. There is a large sailing community here with frequent regattas, an active kayaking community, active Crew community, even a small but active group of surfers -- yes, surfers. Not everybody seeks out maritime activities of course, but if you're into that there are definitely communities that cater to it. If you want to ski, or hike in mountains in the summer, you can drive about 2-3 hours to New York, West Virginia, or PA for some of the best skiing/hiking in the East. From Madison, you have to fly to the Rockies or East Coast. For biking and hiking, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is incredible, and the metroparks around the city are fantastic as well.

Cleveland also offers more in terms of economic opportunities, cultural opportunities, dining, and transportation. We have one of the best orchestras in the world, one of the best art museums in the country, the world's only rock and roll HOF, one of the world's best hospitals, a large number of colleges and universities, numerous major concert venues, 3 pro sports teams, some of the best theater in the country in Playhouse Square. There is a gilded age opulence in this city that few others can match. There is crime in certain parts of the city but it can easily be avoided. The homes are very affordable, and the housing stock is diverse, with grand old estates, mixed with 1950s bungalows, homes built in the 20s and 30s, and newer construction.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:40 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Here are two pages of data from....City Data. You can see that more money is earned in Madison, a much higher percentage of residents have college degrees, and, well you can look for yourself. Obviously, Madison is a beautiful city with a lot of culture and sporting opportunities abound. I personally love the rolling hills south of Madison, where Frank Lloyd Wright lived much of his adult life. Attached are a couple links you might enjoy, that show a little of what Madison is about.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Madison-Wisconsin.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cleveland-Ohio.html

UWBadgers.com - The Official Athletic Site of the Wisconsin Badgers - Facilities

You, obviously, can Google away, and see which best suits you. Cleveland is a larger city, but Madison can compete with a larger city.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:54 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Here are two pages of data from....City Data. You can see that more money is earned in Madison, a much higher percentage of residents have college degrees, and, well you can look for yourself. Obviously, Madison is a beautiful city with a lot of culture and sporting opportunities abound. I personally love the rolling hills south of Madison, where Frank Lloyd Wright lived much of his adult life. Attached are a couple links you might enjoy, that show a little of what Madison is about.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Madison-Wisconsin.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cleveland-Ohio.html

UWBadgers.com - The Official Athletic Site of the Wisconsin Badgers - Facilities

You, obviously, can Google away, and see which best suits you. Cleveland is a larger city, but Madison can compete with a larger city.
Why is this obvious?

Old 02-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Why is this obvious?
You can do your own research...I'm not going to go into detail like the poster above me did. Links can suffice, and the OP can research on his/her own. What I linked to, were demographic facts. Madison is a beautiful city. I guess you can go ahead and disagree, but I'm not going to try to prove it to you.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa91KzLp_ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjSfAIqGTfg

Old 02-15-2015, 08:55 PM

No offense to whomever made that Madison video, but, it couldn't have been much worse. In addition to the city's population, there are 43,000 students in this city...where was everyone? I've been to Madison many, many times, and have never seen it look look empty. I'll try to take a video next time I'm there, as this one showed NOTHING of how Madison is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City