Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

From the same source as pwright's thread, they have also made a 12 Coolest Neighborhoods in America list: Coolest Neighborhoods in America: The Mission, Wicker Park and Highland Park Top Our List
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Somerville is totally spot on for Boston.

Not sure I agree with Highland Park. It's certainly up there, and located in the center of LA's coolest "district" of Northeast LA, but I think Echo Park or the East Hollywood / Sunset Junction area of Silver Lake are LA's coolest neighborhoods. Or you can always go with the classic "cool" neighborhood, Venice - but that neighborhood is essentially at SF levels of affordability. Another good choice would be the Historic Core in DTLA.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
The North Loop for Minneapolis? Really? I'd call it trendy and impossibly expensive, but definitely not the coolest neighborhood in Minneapolis. Most of the new, exciting, arts scene type of things are happening on the other side of the river in Nordeast.

I'm just glad they didn't try to sell Uptown as our "cool" hood. Once the Urban Outfitters, American Apparels, and Apple stores move in, you know the neighborhood's already long gone.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Not surprised that it's from the same source as pwright's thread. This article is another travesty to journalism. The journalist didn't even use a photo of East Austin. The Chuggin' Monkey (as seen in the photo that the journalist uses for representing East Austin) is on "dirty sixth", which is pretty much the opposite of East Austin.

Wonder if the journalist has even visited these locations...

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
^That's a good point....I can easily see that being the case!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:38 AM

It's highly unlikely the author has been to most of the neighborhoods.

Probably should cut the author some slack, probably got paid 15 bucks for the article - blame the publisher for valuing quickly churned out garbage articles for ad revenue over less stories that are actually researched.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It's highly unlikely the author has been to most of the neighborhoods.

Probably should cut the author some slack, probably got paid 15 bucks for the article - blame the publisher for valuing quickly churned out garbage articles for ad revenue over less stories that are actually researched.
Yeah, journalists these days are pretty much forced to produce these "Top 10" lists no matter the subject matter because it's proven to draw bigger viewer ratings than normal news articles. So for this reason, I can't really criticize journalists too harshly.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Yeah, journalists these days are pretty much forced to produce these "Top 10" lists no matter the subject matter because it's proven to draw bigger viewer ratings than normal news articles. So for this reason, I can't really criticize journalists too harshly.
I've been there writing that garbage when I was between jobs (and yes, I totally wrote articles about things I knew nothing about)... Though thankfully I have finally managed to get away from click bait. The pay for writing is criminal, especially when you consider 99.99 percent of Americans have a 2nd grade grasp on the English language.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I've been there writing that garbage when I was between jobs (and yes, I totally wrote articles about things I knew nothing about)... Though thankfully I have finally managed to get away from click bait. The pay for writing is criminal, especially when you consider 99.99 percent of Americans have a 2nd grade grasp on the English language.
Glad you found better employment. By the way, I just now noticed that you live in Pasadena! Have you always had Pasadena set as your location? Perhaps I'm thinking of your profile over on the SSC forums.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Glad you found better employment. By the way, I just now noticed that you live in Pasadena! Have you always had Pasadena set as your location? Perhaps I'm thinking of your profile over on the SSC forums.
No I used to live in Hollywood. Been in Pasadena for about a year and a half. It probably still says Hollywood at SSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City