Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 10:03 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times

Advertisements

I use to think there was a major cultural difference between the southeast and Northeast. However I have found that these two regions have a lot in common, forming a unified East Coast culture.

In business, the Southeast and Northeast tend to be less innovative. They're more risk adverse, and would prefer a more formulaic approach to business. The East Coast also appear to be more organized and structured. This doesn't appear to change between Southeast/Northeast. Also the acceptable dress attire in the Southeast/Northeast is more formal. Northeast and Southeast also share sensibilities of history like the Civil War.

The difference is that the Northeast is more cosmopolitan in general. There are more Nimby's in the south. However as southeast cities become bigger, there appear to be a convergence of Eastern culture. I believe if Atlanta and Miami became bigger and had more public transit, the city cultures would not be very different than NY, Boston, or Philly.

The West seems less concerned with tradition or mainstream American history. Much more influenced by immigrant citizens, and seems more of a mashup of influences. More relaxed and casual dress styles are acceptable, and people fight for this. The West Coast seems to have more Nimbys than the south, and this is seen with more cities in the West enforcing height restrictions. Business is different in that a 'gunslinger' culture is more tolerated. While I'm sure a lot of great ideas for more organized management comes from the West, it appears to be implemented better out East.

In either case, do you see the West Coast being more similar to the Northeast, or do you see the southeast being more similar to the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
NE and SE in demographics(If you're referring to growth regions outside of the Bible Belt).

NE and Westcoast in politics and institutions. Both of these regions are run by progressive administrators and elected officials.

As far as economics is concerned, outside of NYC and San Francisco, all of the regions are reliant on real estate and service economies.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:13 PM

622 posts, read 948,495 times
The Northeast actually has different cultures across the region. New England is different from the Mid Atlantic and the Mid Atlantic States is different from the Great Lakes States. The Northeast is a very diverse region. New York and Chicago seems to lead the Northeast.

The Southeast actually has the same culture across the region, especially from South Carolina to Mississippi. Atlanta seems to lead the Southeast.

The West Coast is liberal like the Northeast. The West Coast has a very diverse environment. From the deserts of Nevada to the forests of Washington State. Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle seems to lead the West Coast.

I think the Northeast and the West Coast are very similar in politics and both regions are run by unions. The Southeastern States are right to work states. Many people have been leaving Northeastern cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Boston and Buffalo to move to the Southeastern cities such as Charlotte, Jacksonville, Miami and Birmingham in search for their better lives. Even people from the Northeastern states such as New York and Illinois move to Florida for the warmer climate.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:22 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
The Northeast actually has different cultures across the region. New England is different from the Mid Atlantic and the Mid Atlantic States is different from the Great Lakes States. The Northeast is a very diverse region. New York and Chicago seems to lead the Northeast.

The Southeast actually has the same culture across the region, especially from South Carolina to Mississippi. Atlanta seems to lead the Southeast.

The West Coast is liberal like the Northeast. The West Coast has a very diverse environment. From the deserts of Nevada to the forests of Washington State. Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle seems to lead the West Coast.

I think the Northeast and the West Coast are very similar in politics and both regions are run by unions. The Southeastern States are right to work states. Many people have been leaving Northeastern cities such as Detroit, Cleveland, Boston and Buffalo to move to the Southeastern cities such as Charlotte, Jacksonville, Miami and Birmingham in search for their better lives. Even people from the Northeastern states such as New York and Illinois move to Florida for the warmer climate.
The Great Lakes States (Old Northwest or Industrial Midwest) are not considered Northeastern. I've never heard Detroit and Chicago put into the same region as Boston and New York, nor should they, totally different worlds.

I also the Southeast is not a cultural homogenous region. It is actually just as if not more diverse than Northeast. Orlando is a totally different city than Charleston. Richmond is way different than New Orleans. Places like Houston and Tampa have a more Gulf Coast feel and culture, Atlanta and Charlotte are Piedmont.Nashville is the country music capital of America, while Miami may be the salsa capital.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 AM

622 posts, read 948,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The Great Lakes States (Old Northwest or Industrial Midwest) are not considered Northeastern. I've never heard Detroit and Chicago put into the same region as Boston and New York, nor should they, totally different worlds.

I also the Southeast is not a cultural homogenous region. It is actually just as if not more diverse than Northeast. Orlando is a totally different city than Charleston. Richmond is way different than New Orleans. Places like Houston and Tampa have a more Gulf Coast feel and culture, Atlanta and Charlotte are Piedmont.Nashville is the country music capital of America, while Miami may be the salsa capital.
I was doing this just to have the Northeast be more competitive.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post

Exactly right.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Northeast is more like southeast than west coast, but southeast as Virginia down to Florida. Maybe you can add New Orleans, LA as well. Northern Virginia and South Florida already have lots of northern transplants. Miami is like New Jersey and Cuba blended into one. Florida as a whole is like a hybrid of Georgia, South Carolina and New Jersey.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post

I'm gonna stop you right there. Everything you said is fine and dandy, except one thing. I am gonna need to get you a map because there's no way that Chicago, and especially the entire state of Illinois, is considered the "Northeast."

Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,069 times
I find the W Coast and NE to have more similarities and I find the SE, Midwest, and TX to have more similarities.

My personal experience is that cities like SF and LA have more in common with NYC or Boston than cities like Atlanta and Charlotte. However, I see quite a few similarities between Atlanta and Chicago. Or Dallas and Chicago. Or Nashville and Kansas City. Etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City