Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the cheapest?
Los Angeles 63 72.41%
New York City 5 5.75%
San Francisco 1 1.15%
Washington DC 18 20.69%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
That's a blanket & elitist BS mindset. Boston and Seattle are basically villages in size and scope compared to NYC and LA. And hate to break it to you, but SF has some very dirty areas as well.
None of the bigger cities on the west coast have good air quality anyway. Air in San Diego is worse than even in NY...

Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Bakersfield, Sacramento, Modesto, Phoenix, etc all have pretty bad air quality. The best air quality is probably New England north of Boston, upstate NY, northern Michigan and Minnesota, western Colorado (?), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
None of the bigger cities on the west coast have good air quality anyway. Air in San Diego is worse than even in NY...

Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Bakersfield, Sacramento, Modesto, Phoenix, etc all have pretty bad air quality. The best air quality is probably New England north of Boston, upstate NY, northern Michigan and Minnesota, western Colorado (?), etc.
When I was referring to SF not being all that clean in my last post, I was referring mainly to appearance, not necessarily air quality: bums, trash, bad city smells etc. San Francisco has all of that just like any other major city.

But here's a nice list for you, and you're definitely right. Plus SF is in the top 10 for worst particle and short term particle pollution. So much for the stereotype of the Bay Area being dramatically cleaner than LA. Hippies take note!

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association | State of the Air 2015

Pretty much all inland areas of CA are the worst with LA being the #1 worst major city. Honorable mentions seem to be Houston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Phoenix. NYC metro area is just shy of the top 10.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 22,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
That's a blanket & elitist BS mindset. Boston and Seattle are basically villages in size and scope compared to NYC and LA. And hate to break it to you, but SF has some very dirty areas as well.
LA and NYC are ghettoes that attract 3rd world immigrants. Ew

Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritornello View Post
LA and NYC are ghettoes that attract 3rd world immigrants. Ew
Nah pretty sure that's just your butthole.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:57 PM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Something tells me that the nitty gritty urban vitality that makes megacities like NYC and LA so special flies right over your head
Bingo. It's like saying One Direction is better than Radiohead because they are more accessible lol

Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Something tells me that the nitty gritty urban vitality that makes megacities like NYC and LA so special flies right over your head
What is "so special" about **millions** of poor people living in grit? I spent much of my early childhood in the ghetto and dont recall feeling particularly awesome about it. In fact, my parents worked hard to move us out.

What a strange supposition. That having high crime, high poverty areas with horrible schools is somehow preferrable to safe, wealthy areas with great schools.

To each his own I guess.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 PM

27 posts, read 22,995 times
Quote:
What's so special about a high COL city w/ low wages being stuck in a city with pollution, filth, smog, 3rd world immigrants w/ no education, traffic, etc?

You can keep it, ew.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
The suburbs are pretty clean and safe, too.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What is "so special" about **millions** of poor people living in grit? I spent much of my early childhood in the ghetto and dont recall feeling particularly awesome about it. In fact, my parents worked hard to move us out.

What a strange supposition. That having high crime, high poverty areas with horrible schools is somehow preferrable to safe, wealthy areas with great schools.

To each his own I guess.
??? The poor immigrant areas of NYC don't have high crime at all. Most of them are safer than San Francisco.... There are housing projects in NYC that are safer than SF too... just sayin.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
LA does have Tech. They don't call it Silicon Beach for no reason. A lot of gaming tech companies are located there too. It also has a few banks and finance.
Chinese Tech giant Alibaba chose Pasadena's newest office building (just three blocks from where I live) as their headquarters.

Welcome to Forbes

Last edited by munchitup; 08-04-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City