Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city gets more exposure nationally/internationally?
Atlanta 15 24.19%
San Francisco 47 75.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Most recent film I can think of when it comes to SF is San Andreas lol which just came out. SF is definitely more prominently shown in film.
Honestly not sure if that's true these days. Atlanta based TV shows dominate the small screen--until Fuller House comes on, I'm straining to even think of a current TV show, scripted or otherwise, based currently in San Francisco. Million Dollar Listing?

And as far as film, SF is usually literally just used for background shots or scenes of the Golden Gate Bridge these days. San Andreas was only the most notable exception, and again, that was more a Cali film in general anyways (with several scenes filmed in Australia).

Also, as mentioned, Ant Man was set in SF, but filmed in Atlanta. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was set in SF, but filmed in Vancouver. Terminator Genisys was set and filmed partially in SF (and has a big GG Bridge sequence) but was also filmed in New Orleans and had a lot of CG shots of SF.

San Francisco is more famous/ visually recognizable and has more movies "set" there, but not a lot of those films utilize the city as a unique character (the days of Bullitt seem to be gone).

Atlanta, while not as famous/visually recognizable, has way more TV shows based out of the city and is a much bigger production hub for filming (so you're seeing more of it, even if it's not intentional). And while it is behind SF in amount of films set there, the films that DO take place there seem to utilize the character of the city more, especially 'black' films.

So when you take ALL media together as a factor (music, TV, movies, Internet, etc), I feel Atlanta is more exposed these days. What's the last nationally prominent band/singer/rapper explicitly from San Francisco? I can easily rattle off from Atlanta, but will have to most likely do a Google search for SF--which buoys my point that SF is a creator of media platforms and is frequently used as a backdrop, but doesn't actually produce content/celebrities the way Atlanta is these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:08 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, people are more likely to prefer films and television shows with cast members that look like them, correct? I wouldn't imagine that the average White person could name very many Black movies. So I'm not seeing the issue here.

Not once did I ever suggest that every film was shot in Atlanta. I'm saying that, in my culture, Atlanta gets more exposure than San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The thing is, many Black folks will be familiar with both "Black" and "mainstream" movies while that's not true for many White folks. It's just another example of how we navigate both the dominant culture and our own subculture.

Can I say "Oh boo hoo"? I wouldn't go so far as to say San Francisco is shown more in media/movies/online media just because I'm gay and 'Looking' is filmed on location there, and 'Looking' is all I watch because I'm gay...

There are a few posts here where people claim that Atlanta is shown more, and then they rattle off an entire list of Tyler Perry stuff, or movies like ATL. Even within the black community I doubt most blacks are only watching those movies. Black culture is just as diverse as any culture (and in this day and age a lot runs geographically as opposed to by color), and somehow I doubt Tyler Perry stuff is as appealing to as many blacks in the Bay Area or New York or Houston or Miami as it is to blacks in Atlanta, and a lot of that is indeed locational. 'Looking' may be less entertaining to gays in Chicago than to gays in San Francisco who frequent the same locations and may have even been extras.

And also, is it stretching to say that mainstream movies mostly depict "white culture"? As a white person, I have seen quite a few movies featuring Madea, I have seen ATL. Part of watching ATL was the fact that I lived there at the time and wanted to see a movie about the city I lived in. Maybe it's my "white bias", but I do feel that color of cast does not really matter. Fact of the matter is there are far more white people than black people and so logically there will just be more white actors, but it doesn't mean that just because there are more white people in a movie or show that the movie or show is depicting "white culture". That's just insulting. Just as insulting to say that Tyler Perry movies depict "black culture". Somehow, I feel like blacks not in the SE, not in ATL in particular, might disagree that Tyler Perry humor is perfectly in sync with their own.

As a white person, I watched mainstream shows Family Matters and Full House probably equivalently. Race never really crossed my mind. They were both relatable shows because they were mainstream. To call "mainstream" inherently "white culture" is a cheap shot that a lot of people will disagree with. America has indeed been defined mostly by white people, but in this day and age there is a general "American" culture that is depicted in mainstream movies, despite color of cast. 95% of Americans of any color who speak English as their now primary language and who have been on American soil for at least a year will relate to most mainstream things.

I think there is then a void for geographically-culturally specific movies (I'm more than tempted to put Tyler Perry stuff in this category) or a void for movies depicting sexuality (gays are all colors, it's the gayness that binds us ), etc etc.

So I'd argue it's "Atlanta-centric" to say Atlanta's depicted more because of Tyler Perry, not necessarily "black-centric".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Most recent film I can think of when it comes to SF is San Andreas lol which just came out. SF is definitely more prominently shown in film.
It's really been A LOT recently.

San Andreas
Godzilla
Planet of the Apes (new ones)
Antman
Inside Out (has some great humorous jabs at San Francisco)
Terminator
The Intern has some SF scenes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...co,_California

It's a huge list. The fact that 'mainstream' films are so frequently set in SF and Atlanta's relegated to more geographically relatable films/TV like Tyler Perry speaks volumes.

Also, "international" was in the threat title. Much more of the world is familiar with San Francisco than Atlanta (of cities, not theme parks, SF is 5th most visited in US behind NYC, LA, Miami, and Las Vegas...the gap between SF and a DC/Chicago/Boston is huge and Atlanta's not even on the map).

Old 10-31-2015, 12:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Black culture is just as diverse as any culture (and in this day and age a lot runs geographically as opposed to by color), and somehow I doubt Tyler Perry stuff is as appealing to as many blacks in the Bay Area or New York or Houston or Miami as it is to blacks in Atlanta, and a lot of that is indeed locational.
Hold up...are you seriously arguing that Tyler Perry's films are only viewed by folks in Atlanta? Films that are shown all over the country? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Quote:
And also, is it stretching to say that mainstream movies mostly depict "white culture"?
Except no one actually said that. It's not too far off from the truth though.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
I thought this comparison would of been a lot closer but given the demographics of this site I see how San Francisco is winning pretty handily, however I agree with the others that if asked to certain groups the poll would look different. Just as an example I hardly ever watch football, but I do watch basketball and so the Atlanta skyline is more prominent on my screen.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:43 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's way more than that.

On a daily basis, the Atlanta skyline is on these shows/networks:

CNN's daytime new broadcasts
Headline News
CNNi's new broadcasts
TNT's NBA broadcasts
NBA TV's programming

All of which are seen by millions every day.

And on TV shows, that seemingly come on every day across several networks:

Every film or TV show Tyler Perry has ever made ever.
Love and Hip Hop
Real Housewives
Survivor's Remorse
About 10,000 reality shows from HGTV to Bravo
A bunch of other stuff I didn't list

Even when it's not shown, you're still seeing Atlanta even if the story is not set there. A good example of this happened to me the other day while I was watching "Let's Be Cops" (so glad I didn't pay for that) which is set in LA, but filmed in Atlanta. There was a scene where one was playing football in a park with some kids...and in the backdrop was the Midtown Atlanta skyline.

SF definitely has it's fair share though. Let's face it, it's a cool city with a beautiful back drop for film and TV. But I think you're several discounting how much Atlanta plays that same role too.
You see a lot of Atlanta in The Walking Dead too.

I think that SF wins this currently, but Atlanta will catch up sometime in the next decade. There are a lot of shows that SF is well-known for in the past, but only a few come to mind that are in reruns or currently running like Charmed, Monk, Million Dollar Listing SF, Murder in the First, etc (I know there are lots of others). Atlanta is coming on strong...z few that come to mind are The Walking Dead, Containment, Meet the Browns, House of Payne, Profiler, Being Mary Jane, Let's Stay Together, For Better or Worse, and a long list of reality shows (most of which aren't watchable for me).

I think some of the attention Atlanta has gotten recently is due to the rise in movie and television studios in the area. The industry has grown exponentially here in the past 20 years. Atlanta does have a good list of well-known movies (Gone with the Wind, Driving Miss Daisy, Sharky's Machine, Little Darlings, the Ride Along movies, ATL, Contagion, Deliverance, Drumline, and others I'm sure I can't think of. I know SF wins this contest too, but again I think Atlanta is coming on strong in the near future.

The location of CNN, Turner Broadcasting, and the Weather Channel also add to Atlanta's media presence. There are dozens of different studios in Atlanta including Turner, Pinewood, Tyler Perry, EUE/Screen Gems, Atlanta Filmworks, Tomorrow Pictures, Rainforest Productions, Georgia Public Broadcasting, Atlanta Film Studios, Lucky Dog Filmworks, and a long list of others. There is also a new studio under construction that will be the largest in the Southeast. On the same note, the state of Georgia was recently ranked #3 in film production behind CA and NY.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 10-31-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Can I say "Oh boo hoo"? I wouldn't go so far as to say San Francisco is shown more in media/movies/online media just because I'm gay and 'Looking' is filmed on location there, and 'Looking' is all I watch because I'm gay...

There are a few posts here where people claim that Atlanta is shown more, and then they rattle off an entire list of Tyler Perry stuff, or movies like ATL. Even within the black community I doubt most blacks are only watching those movies. Black culture is just as diverse as any culture (and in this day and age a lot runs geographically as opposed to by color), and somehow I doubt Tyler Perry stuff is as appealing to as many blacks in the Bay Area or New York or Houston or Miami as it is to blacks in Atlanta, and a lot of that is indeed locational. 'Looking' may be less entertaining to gays in Chicago than to gays in San Francisco who frequent the same locations and may have even been extras.

And also, is it stretching to say that mainstream movies mostly depict "white culture"? As a white person, I have seen quite a few movies featuring Madea, I have seen ATL. Part of watching ATL was the fact that I lived there at the time and wanted to see a movie about the city I lived in. Maybe it's my "white bias", but I do feel that color of cast does not really matter. Fact of the matter is there are far more white people than black people and so logically there will just be more white actors, but it doesn't mean that just because there are more white people in a movie or show that the movie or show is depicting "white culture". That's just insulting. Just as insulting to say that Tyler Perry movies depict "black culture". Somehow, I feel like blacks not in the SE, not in ATL in particular, might disagree that Tyler Perry humor is perfectly in sync with their own.

As a white person, I watched mainstream shows Family Matters and Full House probably equivalently. Race never really crossed my mind. They were both relatable shows because they were mainstream. To call "mainstream" inherently "white culture" is a cheap shot that a lot of people will disagree with. America has indeed been defined mostly by white people, but in this day and age there is a general "American" culture that is depicted in mainstream movies, despite color of cast. 95% of Americans of any color who speak English as their now primary language and who have been on American soil for at least a year will relate to most mainstream things.

I think there is then a void for geographically-culturally specific movies (I'm more than tempted to put Tyler Perry stuff in this category) or a void for movies depicting sexuality (gays are all colors, it's the gayness that binds us ), etc etc.

So I'd argue it's "Atlanta-centric" to say Atlanta's depicted more because of Tyler Perry, not necessarily "black-centric".

It's really been A LOT recently.

San Andreas
Godzilla
Planet of the Apes (new ones)
Antman
Inside Out (has some great humorous jabs at San Francisco)
Terminator
The Intern has some SF scenes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...co,_California

It's a huge list. The fact that 'mainstream' films are so frequently set in SF and Atlanta's relegated to more geographically relatable films/TV like Tyler Perry speaks volumes.

Also, "international" was in the threat title. Much more of the world is familiar with San Francisco than Atlanta (of cities, not theme parks, SF is 5th most visited in US behind NYC, LA, Miami, and Las Vegas...the gap between SF and a DC/Chicago/Boston is huge and Atlanta's not even on the map).
See my post above...Atlanta is certainly in no way relegated to Tyler Perry films. He has a large studio here and makes a lot of movies, but there are MANY other studios in Atlanta and many other types of films/tv shows made here. But it is a common misconception that all fims/tv that comes out of Atlanta is black, I guess due to the Housewives and other reality shows. That is only a small part of production in this city.

But like I said earlier, San Francisco wins this poll for now.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
You see a lot of Atlanta on the Walking Dead, but it's not really showcasing anything recognizable. They show the skyline in the first season and then every following episode is basically just rural roads and pine forest. If I wasn't following the story it would seem like they've been just circling around the same neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
You see a lot of Atlanta on the Walking Dead, but it's not really showcasing anything recognizable. They show the skyline in the first season and then every following episode is basically just rural roads and pine forest. If I wasn't following the story it would seem like they've been just circling around the same neighborhood.
...and in the opening credits:

the walking dead opening credits atlanta - Bing images

...and Bellwood Quarry is pretty recognizable:

quarry atlanta - Bing images

But yeah, since season 1 there hasn't been much of the Atlanta skyline or anything people outside of the city would recognize.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
...and in the opening credits:

the walking dead opening credits atlanta - Bing images

...and Bellwood Quarry is pretty recognizable:

quarry atlanta - Bing images

But yeah, since season 1 there hasn't been much of the Atlanta skyline or anything people outside of the city would recognize.
Didn't think of the opening credits. Probably because I just fast forward through all of them now. Lol.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Didn't think of the opening credits. Probably because I just fast forward through all of them now. Lol.
Same here...I hardly ever watch live TV anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City