Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most heavily propped up by its top metro?
New Mexico (Albuquerque) 7 12.07%
Idaho (Boise) 27 46.55%
Nebraska (Omaha) 24 41.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 07:10 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times

Advertisements

Which of these states would be the least relevant nationally if its principal MSA disappeared?

Last edited by JMT; 09-25-2023 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 08:35 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 10 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
REALLY great poll question.

New Mexico still has Santa Fe which punches well above its weight class and is something of a pretty major center for culture and arts. Plus all the Native American reservations, and a few other very small cities like Las Cruces, Roswell, Los Lunas.

Nebraska without Omaha has Lincoln, a nearly 350k metro, home of University of Nebraska, the state's flagship university. While Lincoln itself is nothing sexy, it is definitely still an anchor.

Idaho without Boise, has Yellowstone, and really that's about all that comes to mind. Idaho Falls and Pocatello are really small. And you have a tiny bit of super far-flung sprawl from Spokane as it spills over into Idaho and then there is Coeur d'Alene.

Really though it is a toss-up, which makes this such a great poll question. I mean New Mexico is the most flavorful/artsy/diverse, Idaho has a ton of outdoorsy activities and diverse terrain, Nebraska has the most relevant outputs in terms of agriculture/livestock products and logistics (the largest railyard in North America is Union Pacific's Bailey Yard located in the middle-of-nowhere North Platte NE).

So yeah, this is just a great poll overall.

I guess I'll go with Idaho.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:57 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Not New Mexico. Santa Fe, Roswell, Taos would still have some cultural relevance.

Of the remaining two: Nebraska has its state capital and flagship state u located outside the largest MSA (both in Lincoln), while Idaho only has the flagship located outside it (in Moscow). I'd hedge a guess that Scottsbluff is a bit better known than any of the secondary cities in Idaho --- although Pocatello is semi-known in some corners of the internet for its godawful (former) flag. So Idaho probably takes this.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:44 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Idaho without Boise, has Yellowstone, and really that's about all that comes to mind.
Idaho has only a small slice of Yellowstone. Most of the park is in Wyoming.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:04 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Not New Mexico. Santa Fe, Roswell, Taos would still have some cultural relevance.

Of the remaining two: Nebraska has its state capital and flagship state u located outside the largest MSA (both in Lincoln), while Idaho only has the flagship located outside it (in Moscow). I'd hedge a guess that Scottsbluff is a bit better known than any of the secondary cities in Idaho --- although Pocatello is semi-known in some corners of the internet for its godawful (former) flag. So Idaho probably takes this.
Have to disagree with this.

Idaho secondary cities > Nebraska's secondary cities (not including Lincoln) - by a wide margin.

Idaho's secondary cities contain research universities, notable tourist areas, and booming Mormon populations. I know next to nothing about Nebraska outside of Lincoln and Omaha (not to discredit places like Grand Island, Kearney, and North Platte - I just believe they're less culturally significant).

All of Idaho is growing at a much faster rate than Nebraska and it's happening everywhere - not just Boise.

I initially voted Idaho but I think you could make a strong case for Nebraska here.

It comes down to how much weight Lincoln holds compared to the combined power of Idaho's best contenders.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:31 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
This was a good one. I voted for Boise. Not sure what Idaho would be without it.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:38 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
This is between Idaho and Nebraska.

I voted for Nebraska.

Nebraska would not be much of a relevant state without Omaha and its influence.

The only city left would be Lincoln, which is pretty minor. Nebraska itself has a large agricultural economy, and that's about it. No real attractions, pretty much flat, rolling plain geography with some exceptions. But no huge mountains, or stand out features.

Idaho has gorgeous mountains, beautiful farms with stunning backdrops, great rivers and tons of wildlife. Plus you have Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, and other growing cities.

Nebraska without the Omaha metro would have a population of about 1 million people left.

Idaho without the Boise metro would have a population of about 1.2 million people left.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:41 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
I voted Nebraska. Though based on my bias because I really like Omaha and have never been to Boise. I think Idaho/Nebraska have valid arguments for either.

NM has Santa Fe which is a pretty cool town, albeit even if it isn't a major metro, it's got a lot of tourist pull like Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Nebraska.

Idaho would still have its natural beauty, mountains, lakes and Coeur d’Alene. New Mexico would have Sante Fe, and it’s absolutely stunning landscape. Uhh, Nebraska? Lincoln? Lol

Old 09-25-2023, 10:45 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Lincoln would be Omaha if Omaha doesn't exist. IT's also the state capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City