Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What you choose?
Cincinnati 66 32.51%
St. Louis 39 19.21%
Cleveland 57 28.08%
Detroit 41 20.20%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:01 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,122,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem43015 View Post
Cincinnati is the best out of that bunch. Cincinnati is def number 2 in Ohio behind columbus
Can you justify that, or is it just your biased opinion?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I know what amenities it has and exactly what the quality of life is. I lived there and I am there enough throughout the year to know what's going on with the place. Some cities are better than Cleveland and some are not. It's when people make assumptions that are not shared by majority opinion that it starts to be a concern. Not everyone shares the same interests, or hobbies, or lifestyle so what may work for one person may not work for another. I have no problem with people saying they like living in Cleveland. I have many friends and family members that live in Cleveland that love the place. I also know people that do nothing but complain about Cleveland but refuse to do anything about it and move elsewhere.

If I say multiple instances of crime happen at a certain place like beachwood mall with vehicles plowing through the mall doors or huge brawls and that it's questionable to shop there, it's because it is.

If I say someone told me it took them 6 hrs to drive to their location in a Cleveland thanksgiving snow storm and that their holiday was ruined, it's because they said that and because I was in the same storm when it happened.

If I say Cleveland hasn't won a championship in over 50+ years and the sports fans are thirsty for one it's because they are.

If I say that Walmart in steelyard is one of the most shoplifted walmarts in the entire country, it's because it is.

If I say that scraping ice off your car windows in 10 degree weather is unpleasant, it's because it is. I don't need to hear a "but.....but.....but..... garages though" type of response.

If I say someone I know who works at a bar was robbed and shot in Treemont by random thieves that didn't know them, it's because they were.

If I say yes CWR is a great college but Wallnut Hills HS is the best in Ohio it's because it is.

Of all the things to make up about a place, does anyone really think someone would choose the above items as things to try and make up? Lol it's just ridiculous to think that. All the points above have been backed by links and it just makes those who try and question these experiences of mine come off as disbeliever that selectively chooses only good things to hear about Cleveland.
The problem, Maxmodder, is that persons who live in Greater Cleveland, apart from apparently your oft-sited and like-minded friends and family members, would find your claims preposterous.

1) Again, Beachwood Mall is the most upscale mall in Greater Cleveland. It has a Saks Fifth Avenue and a Nordstrom as anchors. It's being expanded. Your claims that the mall is avoided and doomed are bizarre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachwood_Place

<<The entire mall has performance metrics nearly 50 percent above average."

http://www.beachwoodohio.com/DocumentCenter/View/336

Readers of this thread likely know nothing of this, and perhaps have no idea why other Cleveland posters find many of your attacks to lack credibility.

Beachwood Mall's Saks Fifth Avenue was targeted, in the incident that you alluded to in the above post, because it is an upscale store. Here's the incident. The perpetrators were a crime ring from Chicago who had targeted upscale stores in other states.

Exclusive: Video shows thieves stealing more than $300K in items in Saks Fifth Avenue smash-and-grab | fox8.com

2) You claim Cleveland is a distressed sports town despite the Cavs selling out all games and having the highest local TV ratings in the NBA. Cleveland has had much more play-off success in the last two decades, and a more robust pro sports scene, than Cincinnati which you have lauded in comparison. Oh, yeah, Cincinnati doesn't have a major pro sports team with a winter season. Now that would be depressing.

Cavs have highest local tv ratings in the NBA, up 36% on the year | Cleveland Sun Times

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...204132866.html

3) Walnut Hills is a selective school that cherry picks the best students in the Cincinnati public school system. I'm unaware of a similar public school in Greater Cleveland. There are several highly-rated public schools in Greater Cleveland, such as Solon, that are not selective and have diverse student bodies.

<<Walnut Hills has long admitted only students who pass a standardized test. All students must pass a standardized test in math and reading to be accepted to the school.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut...nnati,_Ohio%29

4) Many Cleveland residents, especially homeowners and upscale residents, do have garages and often park in garages at work. Why doesn't that matter????? It never takes me more than five minutes to scrape car windows, and I maybe have to do so a handful times of the year. For those persons like me who enjoy winter outdoor activities, moving to Cincinnati would be a downer. Here's just one example why:

Picture Ohio! – Icicles in Stebbins Gulch, Using an iPhone 6 | Ian Adams Photography

This will be the first year in the last three that I won't be able to hike on President's Day a mile out on a frozen Lake Erie due to the warm winter. I'll greatly miss that excursion and hope to have one more such hike in my lifetime, a worry given global warming.

Apparently you think every one in the Great Lakes region, upper Midwest, New England, and New York City, should move to Mason or they are nuts, whether they know it or not.

5) Yes, bad things happen in Cleveland and likely bad things also happen in Cincinnati. As with Mason, many Cleveland suburbs are very safe.

6) You claimed a friend told you on Thanksgiving a couple years ago that it took him 6 hours to drive from Cleveland to Akron. Your story kept changing as people challenged it. It finally turned into a drive back to Cleveland after Thanksgiving dinner, as I remember it. The problem was there was no evidence of a major storm and there were news reports of persons flocking to malls for early Black Friday shopping with no mention of such horrible conditions (plus I well remembered that Thanksgiving and I live in Cleveland's lake effect snow belt). Others should understand that Akron is less than 40 miles from Cleveland, and as my dad, who in his younger years drove unplowed roads in central Ohio often told me, you can go most places in a car in bad weather at 30 miles an hour in low gear. In decades of driving in horrible conditions in northern Ohio, I could never imagine taking six hours to drive from Cleveland to Akron, not ever.

See post 77 in this thread (my gosh, it originally was 7 hours!!!!):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post42998677

Then read posts 137 to 166 in the above thread on this topic.

7) Your attacks on Beachwood Mall and your 6-hour (or 7-hour, as you originally claimed) Akron/Cleveland tale is when I began to suspect that you have a vendetta against Cleveland for some reason.

8) I know many persons who have moved to CA or FL to escape Cleveland winters. I have no problem with persons stating that. Yet there are many of us who truly enjoy Cleveland's robust four seasons and I personally resent your insinuations that we're either deluded or lying about our enjoyment of Cleveland winters. Cleveland winters also are not anywhere near as bad or long as in the past. This weekend's lows of single digits will be the worst of the year. Rarely does it get to single digits any longer. I remember when temperatures in the negative teens weren't unusual.

9) Case Western Reserve is the 37th ranked national university by U.S. News & World Report. The Univ. of Cincinnati is ranked 140. Having a top, SELECTIVE public high school compensates for this difference???????

Perhaps now others will understand why I find you tiresome and not very reliable.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-13-2016 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The problem, Maxmodder, is that persons who live in Greater Cleveland, apart from apparently your oft-sited friends and family members who seem like they should join you in Mason, would find your claims preposterous.

1) Again, Beachwood Mall is the most upscale mall in Greater Cleveland. It has a Saks Fifth Avenue and a Nordstrom as anchors. It's being expanded. Your claims that the mall is avoided and doomed seem bizarre.

Readers of this thread likely know nothing of this, and perhaps have no idea why other Cleveland posters find many of your attacks to lack credibility.

Beachwood Mall's Saks Fifth Avenue was targeted because it is an upscale store. Here's the incident. The perpetrators were a crime ring from Chicago who had targeted upscale stores in other states.

Exclusive: Video shows thieves stealing more than $300K in items in Saks Fifth Avenue smash-and-grab | fox8.com

2) You claim Cleveland is a distressed sports town despite the Cavs selling out all games and having the highest local TV ratings in the NBA. Cleveland has had much more play-off success in the last two decades, and a more robust pro sports scene, than Cincinnati which you have lauded in comparison. Oh, yeah, Cincinnati doesn't have a major pro sports team with a winter season. Now that would be depressing.

Cavs have highest local tv ratings in the NBA, up 36% on the year | Cleveland Sun Times

3) Walnut Hills is a selective school that cherry picks the best students in the Cincinnati public school system. I'm unaware of a similar public school in Greater Cleveland.

4) Yet many persons, especially upscale residents, do have garages and often park in garages in work. It never takes me more than five minutes to scrape windows, and I maybe have to do so a handful times of the year. For those persons like me who enjoy winter outdoor activities, moving to Cincinnati would be a downer. Here's just one example why:

Picture Ohio! – Icicles in Stebbins Gulch, Using an iPhone 6 | Ian Adams Photography

This will be the first year in the last three that I won't be able to hike on President's Day a mile out on a frozen Lake Erie due to the warm winter. I'll greatly miss that excursion and hope to have one more such hike in my lifetime, a worry given global warming.

5) Yes, bad things happen in Cleveland and likely bad things also happen in Cincinnati. As with Mason, many Cleveland suburbs are very safe.

Perhaps now others will understand why I find you tiresome and not very reliable.
Wow! A well sourced post with factual information to refute the biased, subjective posts; good job!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
The problem, Maxmodder, is that persons who live in Greater Cleveland, apart from apparently your oft-sited and like-minded friends and family members, would find your claims preposterous.

1) Again, Beachwood Mall is the most upscale mall in Greater Cleveland. It has a Saks Fifth Avenue and a Nordstrom as anchors. It's being expanded. Your claims that the mall is avoided and doomed are bizarre.

Beachwood Mall's Saks Fifth Avenue was targeted, in the incident that you alluded to in the above post, because it is an upscale store. Here's the incident. The perpetrators were a crime ring from Chicago who had targeted upscale stores in other states.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...204132866.html

3) Walnut Hills is a selective school that cherry picks the best students in the Cincinnati public school system. I'm unaware of a similar public school in Greater Cleveland. There are several highly-rated public schools in Greater Cleveland, such as Solon, that are not selective and have diverse student bodies.

<<Walnut Hills has long admitted only students who pass a standardized test. All students must pass a standardized test in math and reading to be accepted to the school.>>

4) Many Cleveland residents, especially homeowners and upscale residents, do have garages and often park in garages at work. Why doesn't that matter????? It never takes me more than five minutes to scrape car windows, and I maybe have to do so a handful times of the year. For those persons like me who enjoy winter outdoor activities, moving to Cincinnati would be a downer. Here's just one example why:

Apparently you think every one in the Great Lakes region, upper Midwest, New England, and New York City, should move to Mason or they are nuts, whether they know it or not.

6) You claimed a friend told you on Thanksgiving a couple years ago that it took him 6 hours to drive from Cleveland to Akron. Your story kept changing as people challenged it. It finally turned into a drive back to Cleveland after Thanksgiving dinner, as I remember it. The problem was there was no evidence of a major storm and there were news reports of persons flocking to malls for early Black Friday shopping with no mention of such horrible conditions (plus I well remembered that Thanksgiving and I live in Cleveland's lake effect snow belt). Others should understand that Akron is less than 40 miles from Cleveland, and as my dad, who in his younger years drove unplowed roads in central Ohio often told me, you can go most places in a car in bad weather at 30 miles an hour in low gear. In decades of driving in horrible conditions in northern Ohio, I could never imagine taking six hours to drive from Cleveland to Akron, not ever.

See post 77 in this thread (my gosh, it originally was 7 hours!!!!):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post42998677

Then read posts 137 to 166 in the above thread on this topic.

7) Your attacks on Beachwood Mall and your 6-hour (or 7-hour, as you originally claimed) Akron/Cleveland tale is when I began to suspect that you have a vendetta against Cleveland for some reason.

8) I know many persons who have moved to CA or FL to escape Cleveland winters. I have no problem with persons stating that. Yet there are many of us who truly enjoy Cleveland's robust four seasons and I personally resent your insinuations that we're either deluded or lying about our enjoyment of Cleveland winters. Cleveland winters also are not anywhere near as bad or long as in the past. This weekend's lows of single digits will be the worst of the year. Rarely does it get to single digits any longer. I remember when temperatures in the negative teens weren't unusual.

9) Case Western Reserve is the 37th ranked national university by U.S. News & World Report. The Univ. of Cincinnati is ranked 140. Having a top, SELECTIVE public high school compensates for this difference???????

In point 6, here's the correct thread link:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ou-down-8.html

Old 02-13-2016, 07:16 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
LOl here we go again. Apparently it wasn't clear the first time. Here it is again:

1. Beachwood mall has had several incidents, not just a single isolated incident by people of Chicago. Here are some of them, all separate incidents. This is suppose to be Cleveland's most upscale mall on the east side people.....

Post-Christmas teenage brawl at Beachwood Mall ends in arrest, viral video (video) | cleveland.com

Stolen Jeep crashes into Saks Fifth Avenue at Beachwood Place | cleveland.com

Pricey Heist: Police search for suspects in Beachwood Place theft | fox8.com

2. Numerous Cleveland sports fans are depressed about Cleveland not winning a major pro sports championship. Here are just some of many articles which showcase the fact that folks in Cleveland are in fact depressed about not winning a major pro sports championship in over 50 years. Sure people still attend the sports events and will continue to do so. Why wouldn't they? That has nothing to do with the overall mood of the sports fans there.

Angry, Depressed, and Hopeful Clevelanders Share Their Feelings After the Cavs Lost the NBA Finals | VICE | United States

Being a Browns fan is sad, as this video proves | cleveland.com

https://sidelinesapp.com/item/clevel...-in-us-sports/

In Search of the Most Depressed Fan Base «

Is Phoenix the saddest of the sad? Ranking the 5 most depressed sports cities in America - ABC15 Arizona

There are many many more.

3. Walnut Hills is selective, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still the best ranked HS in Ohio. I know what CWRU is and isn't. I took some of my MBA classes there.

4. Yes, many people including myself have garages, but there are many instances where people leave their cars outside, over night whether it's a hotel, the airport, a friends house, after a sporting event, etc. No one likes having to scrape ice off their windows or deal with icy road conditions. While some people may enjoy Cleveland winters, a majority of people do not. It really is that simple.

5. Yes bad things can happen everywhere but it just so happens that the only person that I've ever personally known that has been shot outside of a public establishment is... you guess it.....Treemont.

6. The story never changed, and the conditions were confirmed by another member in post #5.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

It's all right here. You claimed that it didn't happen, because you were on the east side when it occurred and there were no reports of it. Also you don't want to come to the realization that someone's Thanksgiving was ruined due to Cleveland weather. There were no reports of it other than the article I originally linked which is no longer on that link. I'm curious to see if any flights were grounded or delayed out of Hopkins that day that were leaving at that time, seeing as how I was driving right near there during the incident.

7. Of all the wal-marts in the country, the worst one in America just so happens to be in Treemont.

The Steelyard Wal-Mart is the Worst Wal-Mart in America | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog | Cleveland Scene

Walmart Supercenter - 12 Photos - Department Stores - Tremont - Cleveland, OH - Reviews - Yelp

This folks is why I find Cleveland homers in way over their head. When we post some factual information about the place based on personal experiences that others clearly share based on the links above, they try to down play it or pretend that the links don't support statements or that majority opinion isn't in favor of the opinion being presented.

We can talk about nice things about Cleveland all day. There are many things to enjoy there.

I have no problem with people saying they like living in Cleveland. I have many friends and family members that live in Cleveland that love the place. I am in Cleveland many times per year. I also know people that do nothing but complain about Cleveland but refuse to do anything about it and move elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Wow! A well sourced post with factual information to refute the biased, subjective posts; good job!
Thank you! It's not hard for me to back up my factual statements when the evidence is right there in front of you!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:24 PM

Maxmodder, your modus opeandi seems to search for every negative article that you can find about Cleveland and then twist it into derogatory conclusions of the most offensive, inaccurate nature.

Quote:
1. Beachwood mall has had several incidents, not just a single isolated incident by people of Chicago. Here are some of them, all separate incidents. This is suppose to be Cleveland's most upscale mall on the east side people.....

Post-Christmas teenage brawl at Beachwood Mall ends in arrest, viral video (video) | cleveland.com

As I noted, the stolen Jeep incident was carried out by a Chicago crime ring that had attacked stores in several states.

You said the Beachwood Place is avoided and is doomed. Yet, as I demonstrated with links that you've ignored, it's an upscale mall that is one of the most profitable in Ohio and it's being expanded. That's a fact, as I proved with links.

And there has been NO discussion that Saks is leaving Beachwood Place.

Quote:
2. Numerous Cleveland sports fans are depressed about Cleveland not winning a major pro sports championship. Here are just some of many articles which showcase the fact that folks in Cleveland are in fact depressed about not winning a major pro sports championship in over 50 years. Sure people still attend the sports events and will continue to do so. Why wouldn't they? That has nothing to do with the overall mood of the sports fans there.

Angry, Depressed, and Hopeful Clevelanders Share Their Feelings After the Cavs Lost the NBA Finals | VICE | United States

Is Phoenix the saddest of the sad? Ranking the 5 most depressed sports cities in America - ABC15 Arizona
<<Numerous Cleveland sports fans are depressed about Cleveland not winning a major pro sports championship.... That has nothing to do with the overall mood of the sports fans there.>>

Huh?

You obviously don't want to admit that the great enthusiasm for the Cavs is hardly a sign of depression.

Oh yeah, your second-to-last link was written before LeBron returned to the Cavs. It also had Cincinnati ranked as the third most depressing sports city in the U.S., especially understandable as it doesn't even have a major pro team to brighten up the winter sports scene. With the Cavs once again a championship-caliber NBA team, I don't see how anyone could rank Cincinnati as a less depressing sports town than Cleveland.

And, unfortunately, things have to be very glum in St. Louis with the Rams moving back to LA.

Quote:
3. Walnut Hills is selective, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still the best ranked HS in Ohio. I know what CWRU is and isn't. I took some of my MBA classes there.
So you don't think that Case Western is vastly superior to the University of Cincinnati, as indicated by U.S. News & World Report and other ratings?

What significance by comparison is a top public high school, one that has been cherry-picked with a large city's best students? As noted, Solon High School is comparable, even though it isn't a selective public high school. Don't get me wrong. Walnut Hills is very interesting and I would like to learn more about it and what lessons from there could be applied to all public high schools. I did wonder about requiring three years of Latin studies, however.

Most persons, especially educators, are well aware that the caliber of any high school is highly correlated with the quality of its students, so cherry-picking a student body should result in an excellent high school.

Quote:
4. Yes, many people including myself have garages, but there are many instances where people leave their cars outside, over night whether it's a hotel, the airport, a friends house, after a sporting event, etc. No one likes having to scrape ice off their windows or deal with icy road conditions. While some people may enjoy Cleveland winters, a majority of people do not. It really is that simple.
As I said, as someone who lives in the Northeast Ohio snow belt, clearing car windows is a minor issue for those with garages, and certainly part of winter for those who want a robust four seasons. You hate winter, gotcha, but you must know that we go weeks without ice storms that affect car windows in the winter. The problem more normally occurs when a warm car is left outside during a snow storm. I always cool off the car before arriving a destination with outdoor parking during a winter storm in order to alleviate any icing. I literally can't remember the last time, years ago, when I had thick ice on car windows. During all of this winter, it's likely never taken me more than a few minutes to scrape off the minimal ice I've encountered. Clearing snow without ice is even faster.

Quote:
5. Yes bad things can happen everywhere but it just so happens that the only person that I've ever personally known that has been shot outside of a public establishment is... you guess it.....Treemont.
Aren't there people who have had horrible things happen to friends in Cincinnati?

Quote:
6. The story never changed, and the conditions were confirmed by another member in post #5.

It's all right here. You claimed that it didn't happen, because you were on the east side when it occurred and there were no reports of it. Also you don't want to come to the realization that someone's Thanksgiving was ruined due to Cleveland weather. There were no reports of it other than the article I originally linked which is no longer on that link. I'm curious to see if any flights were grounded or delayed out of Hopkins that day that were leaving at that time, seeing as how I was driving right near there during the incident.
The story did change, as anybody who wants to read through the thread can ascertain. The final version was that the friend was late getting home AFTER Thanksgiving dinner, long after the morning storm had ended....

There also were many links indicating that conditions were hardly very exceptional anywhere in Greater Cleveland on that Thanksgiving. My memory was that there even was a link saying that no flights were delayed at Cleveland Hopkins.

Your post 5 link merely said that conditions were treacherous. Yes, conditions often are treacherous in the winter, especially when the temperature hovers around freezing, which was the situation on that
Thanksgiving. People slow down, perhaps to 30-40 mph in the most horrible conditions, but it never takes 6-7 hours to drive 40 miles. If you had said 90 minutes, I wouldn't have blinked at eye at the comment, but that wouldn't have made Greater Cleveland sufficiently repulsive for your purpose.

As you also are a native of the snow belt, it's disgusting to me that you still argue that story is credible. It simply is NOT.

BTW, what happens in Greater Cincinnati during snow storms of just several inches that would slow nothing down in Greater Cleveland due to the much greate capacity to treat and clean roadways?

And do you deny that even those Greater Clevealanders who get tired of winter, often comment that everything is just so beautiful when everything is covered in white snow (it used to get black when I was a kid when coal was still widely used for heating), or even after ice storms?

Quote:
Typical Maxmodder.

So you quote one guy's rant about his local Wal-Mart in one of Cleveland's most challenged locations, and extrapolate it to all of Cleveland, and accepting the guy's unsubstantiated statement that his Wal-Mart is the worst Wal-Mart in the U.S. (you should send the guy an e-mail and tell him about Mason; you two could be bosom buddies)? You back it up the guy's comments with Yelp reviews, and believe you've proven something?

News flash! Most persons hate their local Wal-Marts. Here are the Yelp reviews for the Wal-Mart for Mentor, which I often have found aggravating for the same reasons mentioned about the Steelyard Commons store, and I believe you've said Mentor is you hometown.

Walmart - Grocery - Mentor, OH - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Obviously, Greater Cincinnati also is a horrible place given these Yelp reviews for a couple Wal-Marts in Greater Cincinnati :

Walmart Supercenter - Grocery - Cincinnati, OH - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Walmart Supercenter - Grocery - 8451 Colerain Ave - Cincinnati, OH - Reviews - Yelp

So doesn't Heinen's at the Cleveland Trust Rotunda actually prove, using your logic, that Clevland is heaven on earth, especially in comparison to Cincinnati that apparently doesn't even have a downtown supermarket, let alone one of the most spectacular supermarkets in the U.S.?

Heinen's Downtown (Cleveland, OH): Address, Phone Number, Point of Interest & Landmark Reviews - TripAdvisor

For whatever reason, you seek out anything derogatory you can find about Cleveland, then make illogical negative conclusions, weighting these disparaging constructions far beyond the numerous positive aspects of life in Cleveland.

Someone whose stock in trade is unfairly disparaging an entire region shouldn't accuse anybody of being over their heads when actually posting facts to disprove your statements.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-13-2016 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleverfield made this comment in post 305, complimenting my post 304. He was NOT complimenting Maxmodder, but actually ridiculing Maxmodder's posts.

Quote:
Thank you! It's not hard for me to back up my factual statements when the evidence is right there in front of you!
Maxmodder takes a post that actually derided his "biased, subjective posts," and twisted it into a compliment of his malarkey.

Disgusting.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
As I noted, the stolen Jeep incident was carried out by a Chicago crime ring that had attacked stores in several states.

You said the Beachwood Place is avoided and is doomed. Yet, as I demonstrated with links that you've ignored, it's an upscale mall that is one of the most profitable in Ohio and it's being expanded. That's a fact, as I proved with links.

And there has been NO discussion that Saks is leaving Beachwood Place.
What I had stated in the past is that I wouldn't be shopping there. The Jeep incident is just one of the criminal incidents at that mall that I referenced. Sax has been robbed at gun point on more than one occasion. A thread was started about this awhile back by another member, and I chimed in. It's expanding? It's profitable? That's great. Still doesn't change the fact that I have no desire to get hit by a jeep when I'm shopping there. Wouldn't you rather shop at a place that hasn't had it's stores robbed at gun point?

Quote:
You obviously don't want to admit that the great enthusiasm for the Cavs is hardly a sign of depression.
You obviously don't want to admit that those articles highlight what I was saying about Cleveland being a depressing sports town. You seem to not understand the difference between an exciting season and actually winning a championship. The best rebuttal you can come up with is "the Cavs are exciting this year" and "Cincy doesn't have an NBA team". What does that have to do with the articles I posted which highlight how Cleveland sports fans are depressed over not having won a championship in the last 50+ years? There's no NBA team in Cincy because there isn't enough interest.

Quote:
So you don't think that Case Western is vastly superior to the University of Cincinnati, as indicated by U.S. News & World Report and other ratings?
I never said Case Western wasn't superior to University of Cincinnati. How many posts do you see on this site asking about how good a college is compared to how good a school system is? 1 to 10? 1 to 20? A majority of the people buying houses in Ohio care about good schools K-12 more so than colleges when determining where to live. It's quality of K-12 that can make or break the value of housing. Solon High School is a great HS. So is Indian Hill.

Quote:
As I said, as someone who lives in the Northeast Ohio snow belt, clearing car windows is a minor issue for those with garages, and certainly part of winter for those who want a robust four seasons. You hate winter, gotcha, but you must know that we go weeks without ice storms that affect car windows in the winter. The problem more normally occurs when a warm car is left outside during a snow storm. I always cool off the car before arriving a destination with outdoor parking during a winter storm in order to alleviate any icing. I literally can't remember the last time, years ago, when I had thick ice on car windows. During all of this winter, it's likely never taken me more than a few minutes to scrape off the minimal ice I've encountered. Clearing snow without ice is even faster.
That's great but a majority of people in the US do not like Cleveland winters. Ice on the windows is just once example of what I don't like about NE Ohio winter.

Quote:
Your post 5 link merely said that conditions were treacherous.
Yes, I had to point that out because you went so far as to claim that there were no treacherous conditions at all that day. Do you understand that treacherous conditions can cause accidents, and for traffic to completely come to a standstill? Perhaps he was delayed for 6 hours because they had to clear an accident. I've been in commutes where it's taken me 5 hours over the anticipated time to arrive at my destination due to bad weather conditions caused by snow, ice, and low temps which resulted in people getting into accidents causing such delays.

Quote:
Typical Maxmodder.

So you quote one guy's rant about his local Wal-Mart in one of Cleveland's most challenged locations, and extrapolate it to all of Cleveland, and accepting the guy's unsubstantiated statement that his Wal-Mart is the worst Wal-Mart in the U.S. (you should send the guy an e-mail and tell him about Mason; you two could be bosom buddies)? You back it up the guy's comments with Yelp reviews, and believe you've proven something?
When did I extrapolate it to all of Cleveland? I simply pointed out that particular wal-mart is the worst of the worst. The yelp link was provided for some commentary. We are all aware that all wal-marts across the country get bad reviews.

Quote:
So doesn't Heinen's at the Cleveland Trust Rotunda actually prove, using your logic, that Clevland is heaven on earth, especially in comparison to Cincinnati that apparently doesn't even have a downtown supermarket, let alone one of the most spectacular supermarkets in the U.S.?
LOL you are using Heinen's in an attempt to given Cleveland a nod over Cincy? A grocery store is the LAST thing you should try to reference considering the fact that Cincy has Jungle Jim's over here.

Jungle Jim's international department holds over 50,000 products from over 70 countries. 200,000 square feet of shopping space in each of their 2 stores, and there are over 150,000 products from which to choose. You like to take pride in Cleveland's West side market and Heinen's.... we will stick with Jungle Jim's.

Quote:
For whatever reason, you seek out anything derogatory you can find about Cleveland, then make illogical negative conclusions, weighting these disparaging constructions far beyond the numerous positive aspects of life in Cleveland.

Someone whose stock in trade is unfairly disparaging an entire region shouldn't accuse anybody of being over their heads when actually posting facts to disprove your statements.
By your account, discussing crimes being committed at beachwood mall and why I won't shop there, bad road conditions on Thanksgiving, how NE Ohio winters are not liked by many, it not having the best HS in Ohio, it not winning a championship in 50+ years causing a depressing mood by a majority of sports fans despite recent regular season successes, and crime in Treemont is all derogatory to Cleveland and yet I have no problem with people saying they like living in Cleveland. I have many friends and family members that live in Cleveland that love the place. I am in Cleveland many times per year.

This is comical. You're arguing for the sake of arguing when you know all the above is factual. For someone who thinks Cleveland is so great, you sure do spend an awful lot of time trying to defend it against comments that are nothing more than truthful facts which no one even considers to be derogatory to Cleveland, but rather commonplace.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,346 times
Quote:
Cleverfield made this comment in post 305, complimenting my post 304. He was NOT complimenting Maxmodder, but actually ridiculing Maxmodder's posts.

Maxmodder takes a post that actually derided his "biased, subjective posts," and twisted it into a compliment of his malarkey.

Disgusting.
Disgusting? What's really transpired here and causing you such distress is that maxmodder has taken the time and invested in the resources to look you directly in the eye, engage you point-by-point, and disassemble your argument against Cincinnati. Right now it appears that you are very much the emperor wearing no clothes.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
Quote:
LOl here we go again. Apparently it wasn't clear the first time. Here it is again:

There are many many more.

7. Of all the wal-marts in the country, the worst one in America just so happens to be in Treemont.

The Steelyard Wal-Mart is the Worst Wal-Mart in America | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog | Cleveland Scene

Walmart Supercenter - 12 Photos - Department Stores - Tremont - Cleveland, OH - Reviews - Yelp

This folks is why I find Cleveland homers in way over their head. When we post some factual information about the place based on personal experiences that others clearly share based on the links above, they try to down play it or pretend that the links don't support statements or that majority opinion isn't in favor of the opinion being presented.

We can talk about nice things about Cleveland all day. There are many things to enjoy there.

I have no problem with people saying they like living in Cleveland. I have many friends and family members that live in Cleveland that love the place. I am in Cleveland many times per year. I also know people that do nothing but complain about Cleveland but refuse to do anything about it and move elsewhere.

Half of this can be boiled down to "It happens everywhere." Louisville just had a mall fight break out a couple weeks ago. Buffalo hasn't won a championship, well, ever. People get shot and robbed everywhere, your anecdotes aren't special. Chicago, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Boston, New York all have horrible winters but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter to those that live there either.

And the fact that you base an education argument on the fact that Cincinnati has the best high school (particularly a very exclusive one anyway) is pretty absurd. And you're judging Cleveland based on a Wal Mart too, which is just stupid-Wal Mart should never be a litmus test for anything, as it always attracts the lowest common denominator.

See, the problem isn't your facts-the problem is that you use specific anecdotes and trivial common stuff that's common to so many other cities and hold it against Cleveland. Then you feel like you have to prove yourself and repeat the same 8 points again. You don't have to like Cleveland but don't rag on it for ridiculous stuff like this. It's a damn fine American city that has its struggles, but so does every American city. Here's what I haven't seen you post about-Cleveland also has a lot of positives. But you aren't posting facts about those because it doesn't fit your agenda.

By the way, I'm not from Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City