Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What fits us best?
Denver, CO 12 44.44%
Charlotte, NC 5 18.52%
Tampa, FL 12 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,763 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking for some advice on what city/state may be a good fit for my husband and I when I finish grad school. Of course I'm going to / already have visited any place I am considering, but sometimes it's better to hear from people who have experience living in an area. My profession is in demand in all of these states, but the job market also needs to be considered since my husband may have a more difficult time finding something (he has experience working in radio and management).

We currently live in a suburb west of Chicago and have only ever lived in this area. It's been great, but we need something new... our main dislike is the weather--too many cold, dark, depressing days. It's important for us to move to a place with better weather, lots of things to do, a good place for a family, and an area where making friends will be relatively easy.

Denver or Boulder, CO: We like the 300 days of sunshine, mountains, outdoor activities, etc. Boulder seems great, but I'm worried that the lack of diversity would be boring. Are people friendly? Snobby?
[we are actually visiting the area next week!]

Charlotte, NC: The four seasons and warmer weather sounds great, but we are not religious and are more on the liberal side. Will this bother us? I know there are a lot of transplants here... will meeting people be easier here than Denver? Is there enough to do for two twenty-somethings? Is it good for raising kids?

Tampa, FL: We've been considering Florida for a while... we've been to Fort Lauderdale and decided it wasn't a good fit for us (no specific reason... people were kind of rude and it rained a ton during our 2 week stay; just didn't feel like a future home). Other suggestions on areas of FL we may enjoy would be great. I'm a huge fan of very hot days and our family would be more likely to eventually relocate with us. However, I've heard so many stories of people moving back to where they came from after moving to Florida which makes me think it should just be kept as a vacation spot.

Thank you for any insight you can provide. Feel free to ask me any more questions about our wants/needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 03:24 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times
If you enjoy hot weather then you will have some of the funniest days at the beach or the pool with your friends in Tampa. . BUT, just like Ft. Lauderdale, from June-September you almost have to plan on having a thunderstorm sweep in during the afternoon.

I always found Tampa's hot-ness to only be a problem in September and October, because by that point I am wanting some cool weather and it just doesn't arrive until November. I lived in Tampa for seven years.

From an economic standpoint, it is #1 Denver, #2 Tampa, then #3 Charlotte. Denver is having an economic boom fueled by it's marijuana industry that brought unprecedented revenue into the state, which then allows the state to diverse itself in other ways. It's unemployment rate is very low and I can say that while I lived there it was very easy to find work. Places were even trying to poach me from the job I had out there, and I was still entry-level. I personally found the marijuana being everywhere to be unpleasant though. I still support decriminalizing the drug but after living in Denver I do not want to ever see it legalized in my home state of Florida. You mentioned your husband has experience in management and radio. I would think both might be better in Tampa as opposed to Charlotte, just because Tampa has a thriving hospitality industry and being in a more populated and more densely populated state probably makes it easier to do radio work through outreach.

I liked the people in Tampa the best. People in Denver were very nice but they are kind of boring. I missed the drama and flamboyant-ness that Florida's diverse migrants bring to the state, particularly the Caribbean-Latin community. In Tampa the night clubs are bumping until 3 AM and in Denver they stop serving alcohol at 1:15-1:30 AM! But when I was in Colorado people commonly described Floridians as "crazy", "wild", "dramatic" etc. But Colorado people did love the outdoors and the took advantage of it on the weekends. I personally sleep in on the weekends so waking up at 7 AM to go biking, hiking, etc was not my thing.

I personally find Southern manners to be invasive and too personal, but I guess some people enjoy it. Wherever I lived I found good people to have company with, but it was hardest in the South because of how nosy the people are. And I know North Carolina is a huge magnet for Florida transplants, so I am sure there are things to like about the state. Sorry Colorado but I actually even enjoy western NC mountains the best because they are so lush and colorful, even though they are only half the size of Colorado mountains. lol.

One thing that I want to bring up though is that Denver does get COLD. I mean very cold. It is sunny, yes, but don't move to Denver if you want warm weather. It is only November and my Denver facebook friends are already complaining about it. ^_^. But they really complain in May when it is still cold and they are done with it, similar to how I often complain in October because I am sick of Florida's heat.

Oh, and I don't have kids yet, but from my understanding all three cities aren't that great for public schools. But as someone who came from a diverse, C+ and B- public school (which is now an A school ten years later), who is surviving just fine, and the vast majority of my former classmates are as well, I think this type of thing gets so overblown.

Last edited by JMT; 11-28-2015 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Atlanta is not part of this thread.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:37 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Just look at Denver's low temps, and it's not even December. They've already had snow (not sure how much), and lows have often been 11-22. Though I do see some highs of 40-50 upcoming.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If you enjoy hot weather then you will have some of the funniest days at the beach or the pool with your friends in Tampa. . BUT, just like Ft. Lauderdale, from June-September you almost have to plan on having a thunderstorm sweep in during the afternoon.

I always found Tampa's hot-ness to only be a problem in September and October, because by that point I am wanting some cool weather and it just doesn't arrive until November. I lived in Tampa for seven years.

From an economic standpoint, it is #1 Denver, #2 Tampa, then #3 Charlotte. Denver is having an economic boom fueled by it's marijuana industry that brought unprecedented revenue into the state, which then allows the state to diverse itself in other ways. It's unemployment rate is very low and I can say that while I lived there it was very easy to find work. Places were even trying to poach me from the job I had out there, and I was still entry-level. I personally found the marijuana being everywhere to be unpleasant though. I still support decriminalizing the drug but after living in Denver I do not want to ever see it legalized in my home state of Florida. You mentioned your husband has experience in management and radio. I would think both might be better in Tampa as opposed to Charlotte, just because Tampa has a thriving hospitality industry and being in a more populated and more densely populated state probably makes it easier to do radio work through outreach.

I liked the people in Tampa the best. People in Denver were very nice but they are kind of boring. I missed the drama and flamboyant-ness that Florida's diverse migrants bring to the state, particularly the Caribbean-Latin community. In Tampa the night clubs are bumping until 3 AM and in Denver they stop serving alcohol at 1:15-1:30 AM! But when I was in Colorado people commonly described Floridians as "crazy", "wild", "dramatic" etc. But Colorado people did love the outdoors and the took advantage of it on the weekends. I personally sleep in on the weekends so waking up at 7 AM to go biking, hiking, etc was not my thing.

I personally find Southern manners to be invasive and too personal, but I guess some people enjoy it. Wherever I lived I found good people to have company with, but it was hardest in the South because of how nosy the people are. And I know North Carolina is a huge magnet for Florida transplants, so I am sure there are things to like about the state. Sorry Colorado but I actually even enjoy western NC mountains the best because they are so lush and colorful, even though they are only half the size of Colorado mountains. lol.

One thing that I want to bring up though is that Denver does get COLD. I mean very cold. It is sunny, yes, but don't move to Denver if you want warm weather. It is only November and my Denver facebook friends are already complaining about it. ^_^. But they really complain in May when it is still cold and they are done with it, similar to how I often complain in October because I am sick of Florida's heat.

Oh, and I don't have kids yet, but from my understanding all three cities aren't that great for public schools. But as someone who came from a diverse, C+ and B- public school (which is now an A school ten years later), who is surviving just fine, and the vast majority of my former classmates are as well, I think this type of thing gets so overblown.
Yes, it can get brutal in Denver but it does not last long. It can be 0F one day and in a few days its in the 50's or 60's. Last time I checked who says FL gets cooler after October, it was 85 in Tampa today.

Last edited by JMT; 11-28-2015 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Removed the quoted post's references to Atlanta.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:17 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
OP is from Chicago. Denver's typically about 10-15 degrees warmer, on average, than Chicago is during the winter.

300 days of sunshine is a marketing ploy. It's not quite that sunny, but it's definitely noticeably sunnier than many parts of the upper midwest during the winter.

I'm not a beach person so it'd take me about 6 hours to get my fill of an ungodly humid Florida summer and the bugs and snakes that go with it.

If you love the mountains, and would enjoy all that they entail your choice is simple.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda3434 View Post
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on what city/state may be a good fit for my husband and I when I finish grad school. Of course I'm going to / already have visited any place I am considering, but sometimes it's better to hear from people who have experience living in an area. My profession is in demand in all of these states, but the job market also needs to be considered since my husband may have a more difficult time finding something (he has experience working in radio and management).

We currently live in a suburb west of Chicago and have only ever lived in this area. It's been great, but we need something new... our main dislike is the weather--too many cold, dark, depressing days. It's important for us to move to a place with better weather, lots of things to do, a good place for a family, and an area where making friends will be relatively easy.

Charlotte, NC: The four seasons and warmer weather sounds great, but we are not religious and are more on the liberal side. Will this bother us? I know there are a lot of transplants here... will meeting people be easier here than Denver? Is there enough to do for two twenty-somethings? Is it good for raising kids?
The "if you're not religious you won't fit in" is nothing but a stereotype and common misconception. I am not religious whatsoever and moved to Charlotte from Texas and it's actually a lot less religious here than in Austin, where I was living. It is fairly easy to meet people here as well, it differs depending on which part of Charlotte you'd be looking at. Charlotte is very family-oriented, and there's plenty of things you and your husband can do alone or with children (Carowinds, National Whitewater Center, Great Wolf Lodge, museums, NASCAR races). Also, the mountains and the beaches of NC are directly to the east and west of Charlotte and is easily accessible within a day's drive.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,763 times
Thanks for all of the great advice!
I was hoping that the sun in Denver would make the cold weather a bit more bearable than Chicago. Since we're headed there next week I guess I'll see if I would really want to put up with cold still (even if it is a little warmer than what I'm used to).

I also appreciate the reassurance that religious differences wouldn't be a huge deal in Charlotte. We're hoping to take a quick trip there within the next few months.

Any other things to know or personal experience is greatly appreciated. Suggestions on things to do/see around Denver or Boulder would also be great! We'll only be there for 3 days so we have to make it count =)

Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Any other things to know or personal experience is greatly appreciated. Suggestions on things to do/see around Denver or Boulder would also be great! We'll only be there for 3 days so we have to make it count =)
You should probably ask this question in the Denver forum, but it's gonna depend on what you like to do. Night life will definitely be better in Denver.

Winters here aren't that bad. The lowest average daily high is 45 degrees and that's right around Christmastime. 50s, 60s, and even an occasional 70 degree day are routine in January and February. The snow doesn't last all winter like it does in the Upper Midwest.

A Colorado summer is a great payoff for a Colorado winter. Warm days and cool nights. Highs in the 80s and 90s with overnight lows in the 50s. You won't live in AC 24x7 here like you probably will in Charlotte & Tampa. Trust me, humidity sucks.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:53 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the great advice!
I was hoping that the sun in Denver would make the cold weather a bit more bearable than Chicago. Since we're headed there next week I guess I'll see if I would really want to put up with cold still (even if it is a little warmer than what I'm used to).

I also appreciate the reassurance that religious differences wouldn't be a huge deal in Charlotte. We're hoping to take a quick trip there within the next few months.

Do you really want to see what the Charlotte area is like, take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqlvbAgIX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiGizxRo4A

Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Do you really want to see what the Charlotte area is like, take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqlvbAgIX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiGizxRo4A
Here are links you seemed to ironically have missed of similar people and situations in Denver and Tampa. Try harder next time!

Florida Pastor Sticks By Decision Canceling Man's Funeral Because He Was Gay: VIDEO - Towleroad
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2034678
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City