Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

I don't tend to consider commercial strips when considering urbanity of an area personally. It was pretty typical during the Streetcar suburban era to build pretty dense commercial districts which gave way to detached single-family houses as soon as you were off the main drag. So streetviews of the commercial areas can be quite misleading.

That said, I am aware Minneapolis is second only to Chicago in terms of the percentage of its housing stock which apartment buildings comprise. So while I'm not aware of where all the apartment districts are located, I was pretty certain there were a great deal of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Here are a few images of Oakland which is Pittsburgh's main college area, and I think the densest area outside of downtown.
Oakland in Pittsburgh is indeed dense, but the area of peak structural density is pretty small. Head a few blocks south, and it looks like this...certainly dense, but not a CBD.

The area of Pittsburgh with the highest residential density is this portion of North Oakland, where nearly all the non-institutional land is taken up by large apartment buildings or condos. A lot of them were built in the mid 20th century, and thus have a really bad street integration, but it's getting better with some new developments in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:50 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Dinkytown is not nearly as urban as Oakland. Oakland is the third largest CBD in Pennsylvania, and the Forbes/Fifth corridor has a population density of over 50,000 pppsm.
No argument there!

But Mesa > Original Hot Dog Shop

Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

The area of Pittsburgh with the highest residential density is this portion of North Oakland, where nearly all the non-institutional land is taken up by large apartment buildings or condos. A lot of them were built in the mid 20th century, and thus have a really bad street integration, but it's getting better with some new developments in the works.
That is a pretty impressive street. Pittsburgh is certainly underrated on many fronts, and "urbanity" is one of them.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
That is a pretty impressive street. Pittsburgh is certainly underrated on many fronts, and "urbanity" is one of them.
Around 3,500 people live in just the area bounded by N Bellefield, Centre, N Neville, and Fifth on that map. It's going to be far more when the new Empire apartment building on the northern edge of the area is constructed.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:13 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Is there a dense college area near Minneapolis anywhere ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
That last image the other guy posted is of Dinkytown, which is adjacent to the University of Minnesota campus.
Quote:
Dinkytown is not nearly as urban as Oakland. Oakland is the third largest CBD in Pennsylvania, and the Forbes/Fifth corridor has a population density of over 50,000 pppsm.
This is what the rest of the U of M area looks like outside the main campus:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9737...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9805...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9820...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9810...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9702...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-08-2015, 08:31 AM

If we're playing the streetview game...here's some shots from Pittsburgh - discounting Downtown and major commercial strips.

Apartment areas:

North Oakland
North Oakland
South Oakland
Shadyside
Shadyside
Shadyside
Squirrel Hill
Squirrel Hill

Rowhouse areas (limit of one per neighborhood, because there are so many):

Allegheny West
Manchester
Central North Side
Deutschtown
Spring Garden
Troy Hill
Polish Hill
Lower Lawrenceville
Central Lawrenceville
Upper Lawrenceville
Bloomfield
Garfield*
East Liberty*
Shadyside*
South Oakland
Uptown
South Side
Hazelwood*
Homewood*

* Not indicative of majority of housing stock in neighborhood.

Edit: I don't think Pittsburgh beats Seattle or Baltimore in this ranking, but we just might come after them.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If we're playing the streetview game...here's some shots from Pittsburgh - discounting Downtown and major commercial strips.

Apartment areas:

North Oakland
North Oakland
South Oakland
Shadyside
Shadyside
Shadyside
Squirrel Hill
Squirrel Hill

Rowhouse areas (limit of one per neighborhood, because there are so many):

Allegheny West
Manchester
Central North Side
Deutschtown
Spring Garden
Troy Hill
Polish Hill
Lower Lawrenceville
Central Lawrenceville
Upper Lawrenceville
Bloomfield
Garfield*
East Liberty*
Shadyside*
South Oakland
Uptown
South Side
Hazelwood*
Homewood*

* Not indicative of majority of housing stock in neighborhood.

Edit: I don't think Pittsburgh beats Seattle or Baltimore in this ranking, but we just might come after them.
Nothing in her list holds a candle to anywhere in Southside.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Nothing in her list holds a candle to anywhere in Southside.
It wasn't meant to...

Someone asked if there was a "dense college area" in Minneapolis, so I shared some street view shots of neighborhoods outside the U of M campus.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Minneapolis is structurally more dense than Pittsburgh...just more population dense.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:49 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
The last Census estimate had Seattle rising to #10 for residential density among major cities. That's a pretty good indicator.

Seattle's downtown is around #7 or so, but rocketing up especially in residential, office, and tourism.

Seattle is already getting fairly large areas of density. It's happening in the 15% of the city where we focus nearly all multifamily housing. These areas are responsible for most of the city's growth, including the 10% of so estimated from 2010-2015. These areas mostly still have a lot of room to grow, their intensity is getting pretty good in some cases, and some are starting to connect more to each other.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
In terms of built environment the cities in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro have areas of rowhouses around/near their downtowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City