Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:53 PM

149 posts, read 113,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I can't remember who said it, but this list shows that the quote "Someone from Brooklyn will only admit that Queens has better rappers when they are drunk and their guard is down." is true.
Lmao true.

Overall Queens has the better rappers from top to bottom but Brooklyn has 2 of top 5 in hip hop history with Biggie & Jay -z.You can argue Nas & Cool j but on a worldwide scale Biggie + Jay z are in the majority of everyone's top 5 and some even say Biggies the greatest.

But like i said from top to bottom Queens is #1

Now between Harlem & the Bronx It's a toss up for that #3 spot

Harlem

Big L
Immortal technique
Puffy + Mase
Black Rob
Dipset
Camron
Juelz
Kurtis Blow
Biz Markie
Asap Rocky
Jae Mills
Vado
Dave East

Bronx

Afrika Bambatta
Krs 1
Big Pun
Slick Rick
Fat Joe
Remy ma
Grandmaster Flash
Tim Dog ( R.I.P )
French Montana
Jim jones
Hell Rell
Kool Herc
Melly Mel
Swizz beats
Drag-on
Lord Tariq + Peter Gunz
Mysonne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Lmao true.

Overall Queens has the better rappers from top to bottom but Brooklyn has 2 of top 5 in hip hop history with Biggie & Jay -z.You can argue Nas & Cool j but on a worldwide scale Biggie + Jay z are in the majority of everyone's top 5 and some even say Biggies the greatest.

Now between Harlem & the Bronx It's a toss up for that #3 spot

Harlem

Big L
Immortal technique
Puffy + Mase
Black Rob
Dipset
Camron
Juelz
Kurtis Blow
Biz Markie
Asap Rocky
Jae Mills
Vado
Dave East

Bronx

Afrika Bambatta
Krs 1
Big Pun
Slick Rick
Fat Joe
Remy ma
Grandmaster Flash
Tim Dog ( R.I.P )
French Montana
Jim jones
Hell Rell
Kool Herc
Melly Mel
Swizz beats
Drag-on
Lord Tariq + Peter Gunz
Mysonne
The Bronx is the birthplace so that can never be discounted, but Queens laid down the blueprint for hip hop to be successful. In every era of hip hop, a Queens rapper or group set the standard for what was cool in the genre: Run DMC in the 80s, Tribe and Nas in the 90s, and 50 in 00s. But i'm from St. Albans so I'm biased.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Lmao true.

Overall Queens has the better rappers from top to bottom
I disagree-it comes down to preference I guess but looking at that list Brooklyn smashes Queens.

I mean Biggie, Jay-Z, AZ, Busta, Fabolous, Kane, Mos Def, Talib, Foxy. Don't get me wrong-Nas is legendary and one of my favorite rappers-also gotta respect Run DMC, Tribe, Kool G Rap and Mobb Deep. But Brooklyn seems like a stronger lineup to me.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I disagree-it comes down to preference I guess but looking at that list Brooklyn smashes Queens.

I mean Biggie, Jay-Z, AZ, Busta, Fabolous, Kane, Mos Def, Talib, Foxy. Don't get me wrong-Nas is legendary and one of my favorite rappers-also gotta respect Run DMC, Tribe, Kool G Rap and Mobb Deep. But Brooklyn seems like a stronger lineup to me.
You may have a point.

The top 5 from Brooklyn

Biggie
Jay - z
Big daddy kane
AZ
Fabolous

Top 5 from Queens

Run Dmc ( Arguably the greatest hip hop group ever )

Nas also is arguably better than Jay - z

Kool g rap vs Daddy kane is a toss up but Kane edges it

LL cool j is the trump card for Queens unless you put him up against Biggie and like i said Biggie is #1 or #2 all time

50 cent another rap legend from Queens !
His impact is far surpass AZ or Fabolous so i think Queens got the stronger top 5

Than you can throw in Llyod banks if you need someone to lyrically spar with Fab or AZ

Paposse is where Brooklyn gets some heat off the bench because he's probably the most underrated emcee ever.

I know Nicki Minaj isn't respected for her bars but nationwide she's the top bar for any female in the game

Just based on platinum success i give it to Queens.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:

Biggie, Busta, and Jay Z (although more commercially speaking) are the only legendaries on that list that went above and beyond. No disrespect at all to Big Daddy Kane, Mos Def, Busta (who's more closely aligned with Queens rappers) or Talib but they don't hold the same weight as Run DMC, Tribe, or Nas.

Going a step further, Biggie was the only one that changed the game on that list. The others basically road the tails of other movements. Run DMC, Tribe, and Nas set the bar HIGH.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Now let me break down the Los Angeles area the same way i did NYC.There's L.A city and L.A county so having lived out there for 2 years in the early 2000's i got a little experience on the L.A rap scene.

Compton is basically the Eastcoast version of Queens far as rap is concerned.

NWA is like the L.A version of Run Dmc

Compton

NWA
Eazy E
Dr dre
Mix master spade
Toddy Tee
Mc Ren
King Tee
Dj quik
Mc eiht + Compton's most wanted
2nd to None
Bg knocc out & Dresta
Coolio
The Game
Kendrick Lamar
YG
Problem

Long Beach

Snoop Dogg
Nate Dogg ( R.I.P
Warren G
Daz ( Dogg Pound )
Crooked I
Eastsidaz
Tray Dee
Bad Azz
The Twins
Domino
Battlecat
Soopafly
Dove Shack
RBX
Vince Staples
Joey fatts
Jabba loc
OT Genasis

Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
^Yeah-it's getting tougher the more I think about it lol. Queens definitely is a beast.

Quote:

I know Nicki Minaj isn't respected for her bars but nationwide she's the top bar for any female in the game

Just based on platinum success i give it to Queens.
Yeah-I'm sure on sales it goes to Queens. Nicki has bars when she wants to-in some aspects she is untouchable. Definitely gotta respect her.

Also-I always say Yonkers, NY is impressive as HELL for a city its size. DMX, Jadakiss, Styles, Mary J Blige for r&b.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Outside of South Central,Compton & Long beach the other cities in the L.A area aren't top heavy.

I'll give Inglewood Mack 10 and i guess you can throw in Jay rock & Glasses Malone for Watts but that's not enough from top to bottom.

Okay so let's do the Bay vs L.A ( L.A city )

South Central L.A

L.A dream team
Egytpitan Lover
Ice T
Ice Cube ( NWA member )
Dub c
Westside Connection ( Cube + Dub + Mack )
Tone loc
Yo Yo

2pac is the tricky one but from 93 - 96 he was L.A because because he had his Thug life group from South Central and than he signed to Deathrow in late 1995

Kurupt ( Dogg Pound )
Pharcyde rap group
South Central Cartel ( Original Havoc & Prodigee )
Nipsey Hussle
Dj mustard
Ty dolla sign
Schoolboy Q
Joe Moses
G perico
RJ

Bay area - Just like New York city is an area that has multiple cities connected from bridge to bridge with few islands surrounding San Francisco.

Too short
E 40
Mac dre ( R.I.P )
The Jacka ( R.I.P )
Digital Underground
Mc hammer ( 1st rap act to go Diamond )
Spice 1
2pac from 88 - 91
Celly cel
Dru down
Rappin 4 tay
Luniz
Richie Rich
B legit
Yukmouth
G eazy
Mistah Fab
JT the Bigga Figga
Baby Bash
Paris ( Westcoast Rakim ) Very under the radar Emcee

Last edited by NYCkidd; 04-26-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
^Yeah-it's getting tougher the more I think about it lol. Queens definitely is a beast.

Yeah-I'm sure on sales it goes to Queens. Nicki has bars when she wants to-in some aspects she is untouchable. Definitely gotta respect her.

Also-I always say Yonkers, NY is impressive as HELL for a city its size. DMX, Jadakiss, Styles, Mary J Blige for r&b.
Yes Yonkers has a squad but i think only DMX is heavyweight status.Jada is a lyrical monster but his impact isn't felt nationwide like other rap greats.

Believe it or not i think Atlanta may have the most platinum rappers from 1 single city.Now of course NYC is 1 single city as well but New York & Los Angeles are so big i taught it was fair to break down each borough

Last edited by NYCkidd; 04-26-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Yes Yonkers has a squad but i think only DMX is heavyweight status.Jada is a lyrical monster but his impact isn't felt nationwide like other rap greats.

Believe it or not i think Atlanta may have the most platinum rappers from 1 single city.Now of course NYC is 1 single city as well but New York & Los Angeles are so big i taught it was fair to break down each borough
As much as my heart is saying you're wrong, my head has to agree with your assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City