Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Na, read my post above--it makes perfect sense imo. Agree to disagree, but while hip hop has a universal formula, true, there are still some regional differences that affect being able to relate. Every one's fawning over To Pimp a Butterfly (likely the Grammy Album of the Year), but I just couldn't get in to it. The lyricism and content were ridiculous, but the jazz-funk, West-Coast influenced sound didn't resonate with me. I'm not the only one.
You may just be the only one. I don't think Pac necessarily has any more fans on the West Coast than he does down South or in Philly. Strong lyricism and charismatic personalities have universal appeal.

I don't interpret people walking out on Kendrick Lamar as some sign that people don't appreciate rap from different regions. I interpret that as a sign that people want "turn up" music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:24 AM

"My life in exchange for yours!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLefh6BOsoI

Old 12-30-2015, 09:29 AM

"I'd be a liar if I told you that I never thought of death..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69SSLfRJho

Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,183,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You may just be the only one. I don't think Pac necessarily has any more fans on the West Coast than he does down South or in Philly. Strong lyricism and charismatic personalities have universal appeal.

I don't interpret people walking out on Kendrick Lamar as some sign that people don't appreciate rap from different regions. I interpret that as a sign that people want "turn up" music.
Really? If you ask around these parts informally who's the GOAT (or better in general), Biggie beats out Pac 2 to 1. How many dudes in Denver have Beanie Sigel in their top 25? I know cats out here who can make that argument with a straight face. Yes, strong lyricism and charismatic personalities have universal appeal, but regionalism supersedes that for many when all things are equal. Biggie's throwaway songs are better than Pac's imo, as it were.

And about turnt up music, that's probably true, but I think it still works in this context. You think people at Powerhouse would walk out on Nas (in his prime or now)? Would they have walked out on Kendrick if he was in Compton? Swimming Pools was a huge "universal" hit, and people didn't wish to stay for that? There's a reason this thread is asking about most platinum hip-hop albums and people are debating about what constitutes a region. Regions matter, both in fan support and sonic style.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Really? If you ask around these parts informally who's the GOAT (or better in general), Biggie beats out Pac 2 to 1. How many dudes in Denver have Beanie Sigel in their top 25? I know cats out here who can make that argument with a straight face. Yes, strong lyricism and charismatic personalities have universal appeal, but regionalism supersedes that for many when all things are equal. Biggie's throwaway songs are better than Pac's imo, as it were.
I'm not even sure if many people in Bed-Stuy would say Biggie was "better." Biggie obviously gets more radio play here because he's a native son. But he also gets more radio play in general because his music was more DJ-friendly. I mean, the man made tracks with Total and Supercat.

The Diary by Scarface was more popular in Philadelphia when it was released than Ready to Die or Reasonable Doubt ever were. Scarface was so relatable that Jay-Z and Freeway feature them on their albums.

Quote:
And about turnt up music, that's probably true, but I think it still works in this context. You think people at Powerhouse would walk out on Nas (in his prime or now)? Would they have walked out on Kendrick if he was in Compton? Swimming Pools was a huge "universal" hit, and people didn't wish to stay for that? There's a reason this thread is asking about most platinum hip-hop albums and people are debating about what constitutes a region. Regions matter, both in fan support and sonic style.
Nas never had to compete against "turn up" music.

People wouldn't walk out on Nas because he's an established legend. I also couldn't see people in Philly walking out on Common (not from the East Coast). Or Scarface. Or Outkast. Or Snoop. Or A Tribe Called Quest. There are certain artists who have achieved legendary status and get respect no matter where they are. It's the same way Kobe Bryant is selling out road games all over America right now. It's a respect thing.

Kendrick Lamar is far from a legend. He hasn't been in the game that long. So no, he's not going to get the type of deference that Nas is going to get.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
If what you say is true, and regionalism today is really what matters, then why is Future performing in front of sell out crowds in Brooklyn?

Would a Barclays Center crowd walk out on Lil' Wayne or Drake?

People wouldn't walk out on a Kendrick Lamar concert because it's a West Coast sound they can't relate to. They'd walk out on Kendrick Lamar because he's perceived as boring. J. Cole also gets that "boring" label and I wouldn't be surprised if people walked out on him too.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,797,094 times
Quote:
Because there are specific things, having lived in NYC, Philadelphia and Miami, that I can actually relate to without having to resort to Google. When Joell Ortiz says:

Accidentally step on your white sunglasses (ha ha ha)
We don't wear those over here, this is hip-hop {uh-huh}
This is Carhart jackets (yeah) Timberland boots unlaced {yup}
This is Champion hoodies, chicken wings and french fries {uhh}
R.I.P. pieces on the handball court (you see it)
This is us still fightin police brutality {AH-HAH!}

I can actually relate to that on a personal level. While I love other artists from other regions (I actually wrote a term paper on Pac's "Me Against The World" for a hip hop class in college), I will definitely support those from where I'm from more, if the lyrical skill/content is equivalent or near equivalent to folks like Kendrick. Hip hop is definitely less regionally defined these days, due to the Internet/payola/collaboration, but there's still a small semblance of regional identity left. You'll never really relate to any artist on a philosophical level, but there's definitely a Venn Diagram of sorts when it comes to relating, I feel.

And there's also the sound of certain regions. I loved Pac and Snoop and Dre, but some of the G-funk stuff just sounded terrible to me back then; even now, I can't get in to Kendrick as much as I want, because I think a lot of his beats are *ss imo. His lyrical skill is his saving grace (how the hell did "i" garner so much love?) Drake, while being a slightly lesser artist to me, has far superior beats because the majority are definitely NYC/East-Coast-influenced. It's definitely a matter of what you're used to/upbringing. I'll take a mediocre East Coast beat with dope lyrics over a blazing Atlanta one with terrible sing songy rapping ten times out of ten (Future is only listened to by me because of Drake, coincidentally), so it's not just about the beats, either.

So yea, I've never been in a trap house or spilled brains or anything like that (and 99.9% of people haven't either, like you said), but I can definitely relate to Biggie when he says "Rule Nombre Uno: never let no one know How much dough you hold cause you know The cheddar breed jealousy 'specially". I'm sure folks out in Budapest can, too. Difference is is that I have personal experience and context of actually seeing that specific environment, so it resonates more to me than when Game talks about lowriders and flagging. Plus, hip hop started out with a block/neighborhood mentality (Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it Bronx keeps creating it, and Queens keeps on faking it). I don't think the culture should completely get away from that. Part of the thrill of hip hop is seeing someone you fourth-hand know about/met once make it big, and then supporting them while they rep your area. Hip hop, more than any other music genre, is far more intimate when it comes to association, and tribalism is a necessary part of it, imo, for the competitive "battle" atmosphere to remain. Competition breeds excellence, and hip hop needs to be tribal to stay sharp. I'll listen to Big Sean and Kendrick all day, but best believe I'll throw more support behind Meek or Joell Ortiz when they drop dope songs/albums.
??? Okay. That's all I'll say.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,221,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We used to fight for building blocks
Now we fight for blocks with buildings that make a killing
The closest of friends when we first started
But grew apart as the money grew, and soon grew black-hearted
Thinking back when we first learned to use rubbers
He never learned so in turn I'm kidnapping his baby's mother
My hand around her collar, feeding her cheese
She said the taste of dollars was sh--tty so I fed her fifties
About his whereabouts I wasn't convinced
So I kept feeding her money 'til the sh-- started to make cents
Who could ever forsee, we used to stay up all night at slumber parties
Now I'm trying to rock his ____ to sleep
Damn that's cold smh

Old 12-30-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Damn that's cold smh
That was back when Jay-Z was a real rapper. He descended into garbage after Vol. 2 imo. I wish they had made a video for Coming of Age, Part II. So much tension in that song.

[Jay-Z]
Look at that fake smile he just gave me, it's breakin my heart
Should I school him or pull the tools out and just break him apart
I felt his hatred it was harsh, 'fore this fakin ___ start
I should take him in back of the building and blaze him

[Memphis Bleek]
Uh-oh, this ____ Jay he ain't slow, he musta picked up on the vibe
and had I, not been so high I woulda been able to hide
Tried to cover up myself, as I gave him a five
Hugged him, as if I loved him

[Jay-Z]
But to the naked eye
It woulda seemed we was the closest, but to those that know us
could see that somethin was about to go down

[Memphis Bleek]
Stay focused
I'm tryin to concentrate, but it's like he's reading my mind
As if he can see through this fog and all this weed in my mind
Could he see I had plans on, bein the man?
Ever since we first spoke and he put that G in my hand
And I gave it back to show him, I was down for the cause
As he approached ("Whattup Bleek?") and I paused..

Old 12-30-2015, 12:07 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,987,146 times
That Joell Ortiz verse wasn't hard to decipher at all. In the grand scheme, its not hard to relate to another region. Maybe subtle nuances of different regions peek thru, but at the end of the day, they're all doing the same things in all regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City