Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Louisville 24 47.06%
Omaha 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:31 AM

345 posts, read 810,219 times

Advertisements

based on

quality of life
nightlife
culture
shopping
dining
weather
scenery
outdoor activities
economy
people
crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 08:59 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Louisville.....and I think I'd put it higher in every category...but especially the quality of life in Louisville, the scenery.....the culture....ah, pretty much everything.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Louisville.....and I think I'd put it higher in every category...but especially the quality of life in Louisville, the scenery.....the culture....ah, pretty much everything.
Agreed. This is not even a close call at all. I suspect the Midwest boosters are voting for Omaha here. Probably most have never been to Louisville other than driving through to get to Florida.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
quality of life: Louisville
nightlife: Louisville
culture: Louisville
shopping:Louisville
dining: Louisville
weather: Louisville
scenery: Louisville
outdoor activities: Louisville
economy: Louisville
people: Louisville
crime: Louisville

Old 03-02-2016, 08:58 AM

561 posts, read 514,117 times
Let's be realistic here- we're talking about the 43rd largest metro (Louisville) vs the 60th largest (Omaha). There is a 365,000 population difference between the 2, so Louisville is larger, but not significantly so, like say a Kansas City or Austin or Indy which are double or more the size of Omaha and also significantly larger than Louisville..

What I'm getting at, is these 2 metros are likely much closer than the commentary I've read here. I can't rate this because I've never been to Louisville.. But I'm sure it's a fine mid major metro... But I sense massive minimization of Omaha and for a metro close to 1 million, it punches well above its weight. I don't believe anyone who has spent significant time in both cities, would rate one "way above" the other and "not even close".. That's just not realistic in my opinion.. Again, the comparison is not between Omaha and Austin/KC in this thread ..

I don't think one can fairly rate most of these city comparison threads unless time has been spent in the cities being compared (unless we have an obvious- Omaha or Louisville vs NYC or Chicago etc etc which is not fair to compare)..

Peace...

Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Let's be realistic here- we're talking about the 43rd largest metro (Louisville) vs the 60th largest (Omaha). There is a 365,000 population difference between the 2, so Louisville is larger, but not significantly so, like say a Kansas City or Austin or Indy which are double or more the size of Omaha and also significantly larger than Louisville..

What I'm getting at, is these 2 metros are likely much closer than the commentary I've read here. I can't rate this because I've never been to Louisville.. But I'm sure it's a fine mid major metro... But I sense massive minimization of Omaha and for a metro close to 1 million, it punches well above its weight. I don't believe anyone who has spent significant time in both cities, would rate one "way above" the other and "not even close".. That's just not realistic in my opinion.. Again, the comparison is not between Omaha and Austin/KC in this thread ..

I don't think one can fairly rate most of these city comparison threads unless time has been spent in the cities being compared (unless we have an obvious- Omaha or Louisville vs NYC or Chicago etc etc which is not fair to compare)..

Peace...
Omaha is a great place. Would love to spend more time there. People are likely very ignorant of the city, but don't let that stop them from commenting. It's the city data way.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 AM

59 posts, read 87,322 times
I like Omaha it's a beautiful city, Louisville is too, if I had to choose I'd have to go with L'ville because I know it better and I prefer the weather. Great places tho just my .02.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:13 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
I would choose Omaha, though it's largely just because I like the Midwest and don't like the South. Both are very slept on small cities with lots to offer. Here's my breakdown:

quality of life - equal
nightlife - Omaha
culture - Big C: Louisville, little c: Omaha
shopping - idgaf
dining - Louisville
weather - Omaha
scenery - equal
outdoor activities - equal
economy - don't know
people - Omaha
crime - equal

Old 03-02-2016, 01:57 PM

345 posts, read 810,219 times
tied up

Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post

Peace...
We are being realistic. Louisville is a much larger city than Omaha in every way imaginable. It is on paper, it is in its bars, shopping, nightlife, museums, etc.

I actually do see a lot in common wit the two. Two great, surprisingly urban mid major metros often overlooked and thought of as smaller than they are (by visitors AND locals alike). Both are important regional centers and have a surprisingly hipster and artistic community.

But lets look at CSA....Louisville is 1.478 million
Omaha is 922k Thats 550k difference and that is a big difference, especially as we compare things on CD here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

For example, when Louisville gets compared to say, Cincinnati they pull that card...oh its so much smaller....but Cincy is 700k bigger in CSA than Louisville...about the same difference as Louisville and Omaha more or less.

But the bottom line is, I do think you can compare Louisville and Omaha, bc CSA, MSA, what have you, has NOTHING to do with how a city is on the street level, to the pedestrian, motorist, cyclist, transit, etc. And it certainly has nothing to do with quality of life or amenities, only to say that in general, the bigger the CSA< the more to do.

Growing up in Chicago, I spent a lot of time in Omaha. Recently, I have attended the college world series there. It is just not culturally or artistically as vibrant or in the same class as Louisville. That said, Omaha's growth alone shows it is doing a LOT right and offers a very high quality of life for someone wanting to live in a mid major Midwest city. And that says a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City