Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrm322 View Post
Hello,

I am planning on moving to either Dallas, Austin, or Phoenix.
I am looking for a place to enjoy for a long time. I will be a real estate agent/broker and need to pick the city with the best housing market. Also, which city has the best weather and activities. I feel like I am leaning more towards Phoenix because it is warm/hot and has almost no tornadoes. Currently, I am living in Pittsburgh, PA and have not visited any of these cities. I want to visit one in June, but am not sure which one. Also being a gay male which has the better gay scene/gay-friendly city, for getting relationship and friends, etc.. I am in my 20's so which has more of a younger crowd too. Also, how is the crime in these cities? I would perfer the city with the lowest crime.
My friends say Austin is a great place, but I feel like I am leaning more towards Phoenix just because it seems to be a big growing city with great weather, but I am just not sure about the gay scene there.
Or should I move somewhere else.
Thanks for the Help!
I'm gay(in Philly). I have gay friends in Tucson. Smaller than Phoenix but pretty gay-friendly. You might look at Tucson also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 05:29 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I can speak for Phoenix, but not for Dallas. Phoenix has a lot of young people moving into the city, most of them live around central av, Scottsdale, and Tempe. Obviously there are young people all over the metro but these three areas(specifically the later of the two) are the "hip" sections of the city. Scottsdale and Mill av. have really active nightlife, and Scottsdale has a good daytime club/pool party scene. I am a gay man in my 20's so I can speak about gay life in Phoenix to a certain extent. While the gay community in Phoenix is not as close knit as other major American cities, there IS a large gay population in Phoenix, one of the largest in the country actually. The only cities that have a gay population larger than Phoenix living within the city are NYC, LA, Chicago, and SF. Gay bars in Phoenix are mehh, but I think that just speaks to the fact that the lifestyle/party scene in Phoenix is not as segregated by sexual orientation like other cities(LA and DC for example), and I think that's a breath of fresh air.
He lives in PA right now and, funnily, you don't mention the largest city in PA: Philadelphia. It has a huge gay population as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
He lives in PA right now and, funnily, you don't mention the largest city in PA: Philadelphia. It has a huge gay population as well.
Why would I have mention Philadelphia in my post? He didn't ask or say anything about Philly.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
I think it could be summed up like this:

If gay nightlife is important: Dallas by far
If the outdoors is important: Phoenix by far
If being in quirky and liberal city is important: Austin by far

Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think it could be summed up like this:

If gay nightlife is important: Dallas by far
If the outdoors is important: Phoenix by far
If being in quirky and liberal city is important: Austin by far
Yup, pretty much this.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:30 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
To my surprise, Dallas has a much better gay scene than Austin. Austin isn't really liberal per se. It's just much less conservative than the rest of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City