Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,607 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on moving to either Dallas, Austin, or Phoenix.
I am looking for a place to enjoy for a long time. I will be a real estate agent/broker and need to pick the city with the best housing market. Also, which city has the best weather and activities. I feel like I am leaning more towards Phoenix because it is warm/hot and has almost no tornadoes. Currently, I am living in Pittsburgh, PA and have not visited any of these cities. I want to visit one in June, but am not sure which one. Also being a gay male which has the better gay scene/gay-friendly city, for getting relationship and friends, etc.. I am in my 20's so which has more of a younger crowd too. Also, how is the crime in these cities? I would perfer the city with the lowest crime.
My friends say Austin is a great place, but I feel like I am leaning more towards Phoenix just because it seems to be a big growing city with great weather, but I am just not sure about the gay scene there.
Or should I move somewhere else.
Thanks for the Help!

Last edited by nrm322; 04-05-2016 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: update
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Well, if tornadoes are something you are fearful of, Dallas and even Austin may not be the place for you.

I cannot speak to the gay community in Phoenix just because I don't know much about it. I do know the gay community in Dallas is absolutely huge and vibrant.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
I can speak for Phoenix, but not for Dallas. Phoenix has a lot of young people moving into the city, most of them live around central av, Scottsdale, and Tempe. Obviously there are young people all over the metro but these three areas(specifically the later of the two) are the "hip" sections of the city. Scottsdale and Mill av. have really active nightlife, and Scottsdale has a good daytime club/pool party scene. I am a gay man in my 20's so I can speak about gay life in Phoenix to a certain extent. While the gay community in Phoenix is not as close knit as other major American cities, there IS a large gay population in Phoenix, one of the largest in the country actually. The only cities that have a gay population larger than Phoenix living within the city are NYC, LA, Chicago, and SF. Gay bars in Phoenix are mehh, but I think that just speaks to the fact that the lifestyle/party scene in Phoenix is not as segregated by sexual orientation like other cities(LA and DC for example), and I think that's a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 04-05-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
For what it is worth Austin has the third largest percentage of gay people. Phoenix and Dallas are not even in the top 15.

You will not have to worry about tornados in Austin either. Austin has had 3 tornado deaths with 62 tornados since 1953. Phoenix has had 0 deaths with 61 tornados. Google tornado project.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
For what it is worth Austin has the third largest percentage of gay people. Phoenix and Dallas are not even in the top 15.
Only on a metro basis when you include Round Rock. Within Dallas's metro, you also have Fort Worth and a ton of other cities skewing that number down. By a city proper basis, Dallas has a much higher population of LGBT than Austin. There's really not a gayborhood in Austin like Oak Lawn in Dallas.

Regardless of the numbers, both Dallas and Austin have anti-discrimination ordinances that includes sexual orientation. There's also a lot of people that don't accurately report their orientation, so it's hard to gauge how many LGBT there actually are out there. I'm not as familiar with Phoenix, but the OP would be fine in either Dallas or Austin.

Last edited by DTXman34; 04-05-2016 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Only on a metro basis when you include Round Rock. Within Dallas's metro, you also have Fort Worth and a ton of other cities skewing that number down. By a city proper basis, Dallas has a much higher population of LGBT than Austin. There's really not a gayborhood in Austin like Oak Lawn in Dallas.
This.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:37 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Phoenix is not a good place for gays. Its a city of married people with large families and snowbirds from the midwest.

There are still people on the Phoenix city council, representing the city that are very open about their anti-gay views. Anti-gay views get votes in Phoenix so some of the politicians dish out those comments to gain voters.

Phoenix is not a traditional big city that has different type neighborhoods with different political views and lifestyles. The city has different ethnic groups and incomes but politically and culturally it doesn't very much from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Phoenix also tends to have jobs in female majority industries like finance, leisure and hospitality, insurance and health care. So the main demographic moving to Phoenix is women. Austin is more of a tech city so that means heavily-male.

The area that the locals claim to have gays called Melrose is not a gay area at all. Its mainly large families and straight married retirees.

I lived in Phoenix for 2 years and only never met an openly gay guy person in the city, I did know some open lesbians though. It is a very, very socially conservative metropolitan area.

Like it or not, Phoenix and Maricopa County elected officials represent the views of the residents.

I am no fan of Texas but I think Austin or even Houston would be far better as they offer more variety.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:40 PM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Phoenix is not a good place for gays. Its a city of married people with large families and snowbirds from the midwest.

There are still people on the Phoenix city council, representing the city that are very open about their anti-gay views. Anti-gay views get votes in Phoenix so some of the politicians dish out those comments to gain voters.

Phoenix is not a traditional big city that has different type neighborhoods with different political views and lifestyles. The city has different ethnic groups and incomes but politically and culturally it doesn't very much from neighborhood to neighborhood.

The area that the locals claim to have gays called Melrose is not a gay area at all. Its mainly large families and straight married retirees.

I lived in Phoenix for 2 years and only never met an openly gay guy person in the city, I did know some open lesbians though. It is a very, very socially conservative metropolitan area.

Like it or not, Phoenix and Maricopa County elected officials represent the views of the residents.

I am no fan of Texas but I think Austin or even Houston would be far better as they offer more variety.
This has to be the MOST ridiculous post ever. Can you just stop with the BS bashing of Phoenix? You obviously have no freaking clue what you are talking about and you make it your mission on CD to try to bash Phoenix with faulty assumptions that you most likely know aren't true. Seriously, enough.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 PM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrm322 View Post
Hello,

I am planning on moving to either Dallas, Austin, or Phoenix.
I am looking for a place to enjoy for a long time. I will be a real estate agent/broker and need to pick the city with the best housing market. Also, which city has the best weather and activities. I feel like I am leaning more towards Phoenix because it is warm/hot and has almost no tornadoes. Currently, I am living in Pittsburgh, PA and have not visited any of these cities. I want to visit one in June, but am not sure which one. Also being a gay male which has the better gay scene/gay-friendly city, for getting relationship and friends, etc.. I am in my 20's so which has more of a younger crowd too. Also, how is the crime in these cities? I would perfer the city with the lowest crime.
My friends say Austin is a great place, but I feel like I am leaning more towards Phoenix just because it seems to be a big growing city with great weather, but I am just not sure about the gay scene there.
Or should I move somewhere else.
Thanks for the Help!
Having lived in all three of these places, I believe that you could likely find happiness in any of them. I have found all three of these cities to be pretty gay-friendly. Being that you are in your 20's, you may enjoy Austin more at this time in your life than you may later on; although the city is still growing and changing.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:15 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post

Regardless of the numbers, both Dallas and Austin have anti-discrimination ordinances that includes sexual orientation. There's also a lot of people that don't accurately report their orientation.
Why do people like using percentages when comparing areas of vastly different sizes? It might be ok to compare percent gay population between Austin and San Antonio, but Austin and DFW is ridiculous.

20% of Austin (about 400 K) is still far less than just 10% of DFW (about 700K). Based on the tendency of people with similar background flocking together, it is more likely to encounter larger groups of gay individuals in DFW despite the lower percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City