Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most important?
Baltimore 62 29.25%
Cincinnati 14 6.60%
Cleveland 39 18.40%
Pittsburgh 51 24.06%
Saint Louis 46 21.70%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times

Advertisements

Preface by saying Baltimore is the only one of these cities I've visited, but my list would be as follows:

1-2 (interchangeable): Baltimore, Pittsburgh
(Small gap)
3. Cleveland
4. St. Louis
(Considerable, but not huge, gap)
5. Cincinnati

I'll stary by saying Cincinnati is the clearest outlier, its not really in the same tier, though if it is, its comfortably in the rear. Cincinnati appears to lack the dynamism of any city in this list. All of the other cities have larger economies, have a higher level of ethnic and economic diversity, mostly have higher educational attainment, and all are "big cities". To clarify, Cincinnati has the weakest punch of the group. While it may have the largest metro in Ohio currently, Cleveland certainly has the bones of a large city because it was once in fact a much larger city, and is far more prestigious and renown...

I think St. Louis is a step behind Cleveland, but the two are probably interchangeable. Cleveland appears to have more of a resounding local culture, is historically a bigger immigrant draw, and the vestiges of that are still visible. For those reasons alone do I give Cleveland the slight edge, as I consider the two virtually even elsewhere. Also, St. Louis "seems" somewhat underwhelming for such a large city. Cleveland offers the amenities, generally speaking of a city that's 50-60% larger than it actually is...again, though, I think they're interchangeable. I'd give Cleveland the slight edge...

Historically, Baltimore was far more important than Pittsburgh and every other city on this list. How important is it today? Pittsburgh has narrowed the margin significantly to me because of the way it has diversified its economy. Pittsburgh is a bastion of higher learning and essentially is the anchor city of an entire region--its sphere of influence exceeds Baltimore's. I'd say Baltimore is still more important, but not because of the strength of its economy (Pittsburgh's is stronger). This is the slimmest of margins, but I think Pittsburgh and Baltimore are clearly the top two cities in this mini-tier...

Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I don't see how Baltimore is in the same league as the other four
It's not. And Cincy barely is on the low end.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:47 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Technically the burden is on Cleveland's shoulders to close out/shut down the competition cities in this thread.

Going by PCSA, Cleveland's population has over 500,000 people on the next largest place. So yeah, you definitely have the human population to be more productive then the rest. The question is, are you capable of that?

By PCSA; I'm using the CSA of Cleveland, the CSA of Saint Louis, the MSA of Baltimore, the CSA of Pittsburgh, and the CSA of Cincinnati.

Population base by PCSA, 2015:
1. Cleveland CSA: 3,493,596
2. Saint Louis CSA: 2,916,447
3. Baltimore MSA: 2,797,407
4. Pittsburgh CSA: 2,648,605
5. Cincinnati CSA: 2,216,735

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by PCSA, 2014:
1. Cleveland CSA: $174.244 Billion
2. Baltimore MSA: $173.516 Billion
3. Saint Louis CSA: $149.941 Billion
4. Pittsburgh CSA: $139.504 Billion
5. Cincinnati CSA: $121.407 Billion

Total Personal Income (TPI) by PCSA, 2014:
1. Cleveland CSA: $155.678 Billion
2. Baltimore MSA: $149.574 Billion
3. Saint Louis CSA: $136.377 Billion
4. Pittsburgh CSA: $127.169 Billion
5. Cincinnati CSA: $100.716 Billion

Cleveland is capable but the margin of victory is razor thin and much closer than what it should be. However, a win is a win regardless of margin of victory. So Clevelanders? Be relieved. You've done your job, I guess.

To be sure, with the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) gap being only $52.837 Billion. Further evidenced by them being in the same general economic range (in the $100 Billions). Similarly sized gap with the Total Personal Income (TPI), indicating further that these cities are in the same general tier, even though the population gap is significant between the largest to the smallest.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:10 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Red John, I appreciate you using Baltimore's MSA..thank you. You know why I said that.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM

I'm still surprised that York County, PA isn't a part of Baltimore's MSA yet.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Yeah, to Baltimore's credit it is very capable of standing on its own without the need of anywhere else.

In fact by next year it should be #1 for both GDP and TPI among these 5 cities, passing Cleveland CSA. Now that's truly a quality win, to have less people, by a lot (just shy of 700,000 less people), and shut the competition down in arguably the two most important metrics there is when comparing two American cities with one another. One metric tells us the aggregate wealth and value of an economy, the other metric tells us the aggregate wealth and value of the human population.

Not to mention, Baltimore is ethnically and racially the most diverse of the bunch as well. So culturally and socially, it has a larger global portfolio as the bigger immigration center.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-10-2016 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 02:20 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,655,900 times
Baltimore is the largest US city without a single Fortune 500 company: Baltimore is largest American city without a single Fortune 500 company - Fortune

Anyway, in terms of media market size, Baltimore comes in behind all the cities in this poll except Cincinnati:
http://www.tvb.org/media/file/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

18. Cleveland-Akron (Canton)
21. St. Louis
23. Pittsburgh
26. Baltimore
36. Cincinnati

I absolutely love Baltimore- it's one of my favorite cities. But its location is both a blessing and a curse. The other cities in this comparison are undisputed cultural and media centers of their regions, whereas Baltimore is perennially overshadowed by its higher-profile neighbors. DC (and to a lesser extent, Philly), definitely steals Baltimore's visibility- in everything from concert tours to the freaking national weather map. That said, it's relative obscurity is what makes it appealing to me personally.

Last edited by STLgasm; 04-10-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Baltimore is the largest US city without a single Fortune 500 company: Baltimore is largest American city without a single Fortune 500 company - Fortune

Anyway, in terms of media market size, Baltimore comes in behind all the cities in this poll except Cincinnati:

21. St. Louis
23. Pittsburgh
26. Baltimore
36. Cincinnati

I absolutely love Baltimore- it's one of my favorite cities. But its location is both a blessing and a curse. The other cities in this comparison are undisputed cultural and media centers of their regions, whereas Baltimore is perennially overshadowed by its higher-profile neighbors. DC (and to a lesser extent, Philly), definitely steals Baltimore's visibility- in everything from concert tours to the freaking national weather map. That said, it's relative obscurity is what makes it appealing to me personally.
There's a term for why Baltimore isn't usually on weather maps, it's called the Baltimore Effect. Since Baltimore and DC are so close, and DC being the nation's capitol, it almost has to be on maps, so Baltimore is sacrificed due to space constraints on a map. Sometimes Philly has that problem too being between DC and NYC.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:24 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,655,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There's a term for why Baltimore isn't usually on weather maps, it's called the Baltimore Effect. Since Baltimore and DC are so close, and DC being the nation's capitol, it almost has to be on maps, so Baltimore is sacrificed due to space constraints on a map. Sometimes Philly has that problem too being between DC and NYC.

Precisely my point.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:13 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post

21. St. Louis
23. Pittsburgh
26. Baltimore
36. Cincinnati

We have strong Fortune 1000 companies and other institutions in the Greater Baltimore area to make up for the lack of fortune 500 companies. Baltimore still gets a lot of concerts where artist will usually visit all 3 cities. Yeah the Baltimore Phenomenon, I actually like being omitted from the map at times we live in this age of terrorism now and I do not want my city to be a visible target like in the Sum of all Fears. Every city in the Bos-Wash corridor had an incident except Philadelphia and Baltimore. I like to stay as low key as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City