Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city based on my criteria?
Denver 1 20.00%
Chicago 3 60.00%
Washington, DC 1 20.00%
Boston 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,037 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking at graduate programs in these cities, and was hoping to get a bit of insight into their feel. I am a native of Los Angeles (Glendale) and have also lived in Seattle (Tacoma/south sound), Phoenix and Boston (Roslindale and Somerville) for at least a year each, so I know them well; comparisons are welcome. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what city might be the best fit. Boston is in play, but I'd like to try someplace new.

If anyone would like to chime in about the University of Denver, Regis University, Illinois Tech, Northeastern, or George Washington University for their cyber-security programs, that'd be awesome!

Criteria:
Job market for cyber-security
Intellectualism: I'm not always "on", but I do enjoy discussing global events, emerging research, and stuff I hear on NPR and other podcasts.
Friendliness/Openness of the people: I'm a mixed intro/extrovert, I like the bustle of denser cities but I like to be able to escape it relatively quickly as well. I feed off how friendly or standoffish people around me are.
Natural environment: I needs my trees and waters.
Diversity: This isn't quite as important to me, so long as people aren't totally xenophobic. (I'm Latino, but a bit of a coconut to be honest. I can get along with just about anyone who isn't freaked by my skin)
History: I really do love to get into the history of a place and how it came to be. Local history museums are a bit of a thing for me.
Student population: I plan to live close to campus so this might not be much of an issue.
Built environment: Not quite as important, but I'd prefer a bit more variety than stucco and strip malls.
Getaways: What's within a two hour drive/bus/train ride? Can be cities or nature. I go both ways.

Last edited by omarciddo; 05-17-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City