Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times

Advertisements

It's one part of it. It's why the new writers, actors, directors, producers start their careers here as if nothings changed.
It's why they're based here.

The fact is all these cheaper locations have failed to take la's companies and never will.
Toronto and Vancouver have been cheap forever. And they've taken nothing.

Atlanta or NYC won't either. They're just cheaper, that's all.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Filming is not "one small part of it." Filming is a HUGE part of it! The majority of a film's budget is for PRODUCTION > FILMING! And that money, more and more of it, is being spent in the state of Georgia and NOT California! Last year alone, $1.7 BILLION was spent making movies in Georgia!

As I've stated too many times in this thread to mention, the loss of TV and film jobs in Los Angeles has been real. It's been widely reported in LA media including Vareity, Hollywood Reporter and the LA Times, and it is why the California legislature is under so much pressure to come up with some kind of tax breaks to lure the industry back. These are FACTS. Google it!

Middle-class Hollywood workers lose jobs, income when filming flees Los Angeles

Why TV, film production is running away from Hollywood

L.A.'s film, TV industry lost 16,100 jobs in 7 years, study finds - latimes

Report: California's film and TV jobs at critical risk | 89.3 KPCC

LA mayor declares state of 'emergency' over loss of film and TV business | Film | The Guardian
So your saying tax incentives IS a huge part of where a film decides to shoot.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 PM

Everyone knows.
Atlanta was nothing before tax credits. No one has proved it was anything, except for some cable channels, Tyler perry, and reality shows.

This is what they sound like:

"Turner"
"What about it?
"Turner"

Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
It's one part of it. It's why the new writers, actors, directors, producers start their careers here as if nothings changed.
It's why they're based here.

The fact is all these cheaper locations have failed to take la's companies and never will.
Toronto and Vancouver have been cheap forever. And they've taken nothing.

Atlanta or NYC won't either. They're just cheaper, that's all.
They aren't cheaper. Georgia basically will cover 30% of a budgets expenses. There is no cap on how many movies get the tax cut in very general terms.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:30 PM

You would think one of LA's larger entertainment companies would've fled to Canada by now.

Nope.

I doubt they even think about it.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Again, At least, I'm not saying ATL does not having a growing film industry. I think the concern is how sustainable their tax incentives are in the long run. What will probably happen is that they will cap the incentive if it turns out that the investment made is not getting the return they expect or if there are budget issues in GA. Right now, things seem to be going great. However, I would def be concerned given how other states that have scaled back their incentives were impacted. I just don't see how GA is any different given NC, LA, and other states, which have studios as well, were negatively impacted by the cut of their programs. I mean, look what happened to LA when they capped their incentive. Their program before was very similar to GA's. But look what's happened in 2016. CA is no different and once they changed their incentive program production came back.

I will now excuse myself from this argument because there are no winners.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-09-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 PM

NYC bleeds finance jobs..
Silicon Valley bleeds tech jobs.

But nobody makes dumb suggestions those places are seriously threatened .

For whatever reason, this forum does it for Hollywood.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Again, At least, I'm not saying ATL does not having a growing film industry. I think the concern is how sustainable their tax incentives are in the long run. What will probably happen is that they will cap the incentive if it turns out that the investment made is not getting the return they expect or if there are budget issues in GA. Right now, things seem to be going great. However, I would def be concerned given how other states that have scaled back their incentives were impacted. I just don't see how GA is any different given NC, LA, and other states, which have studios as well, were negatively impacted by the cut of their programs. I mean, look what happened to LA when they capped their incentive. Their program before was very similar to GA's. But look what's happened in 2016. CA is no different and once they changed their incentive program production came back.

I will now excuse myself from this argument because there are no winners.
ONCE AGAIN (please pay attention): More than $1.7 billion was spent on film and TV production in Georgia in FY 2015 with a gross statewide economic impact of more than $6 billion. This was on a tax credit program that cost the state approximately $200 million in revenue; NOT money budgeted by the state that was given BACK to film and TV projects, but tax money that was NEVER COLLECTED! And unlike any other state in the nation, these CREDITS (just like exemptions you claim on your federal tax return) are TRANSFERABLE ... meaning production companies can SELL THEM to other businesses and industry and make money back!

GEORGIA, unlike Louisiana, is a wealthy state where the economy is BOOMING and the loss of $200 million in tax collections simply is not a big deal, ezpecially when the economic return stateside was $6 BILLION!

Can you understand this? For God's sake will you PLEASE try to understand how this works? Because I'm getting tired as hell explaining it to you.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
ONCE AGAIN (please pay attention): More than $1.7 billion was spent on film and TV production in Georgia in FY 2015 with a gross statewide economic impact of more than $6 billion. This was on a tax credit program that cost the state approximately $200 million in revenue; NOT money budgeted by the state that was given BACK to film and TV projects, but tax money that was NEVER COLLECTED! And unlike any other state in the nation, these CREDITS (just like exemptions you claim on your federal tax return) are TRANSFERABLE ... meaning production companies can SELL THEM to other businesses and industry and make money back!

GEORGIA, unlike Louisiana, is a wealthy state where the economy is BOOMING and the loss of $200 million in tax collections simply is not a big deal, ezpecially when the economic return stateside was $6 BILLION!

Can you understand this? For God's sake will you PLEASE try to understand how this works? Because I'm getting tired as hell explaining it to you.
Before I back out again cause your getting angry. I'm sorry bruh, GA is not special. You have not rebutted anything I linked regarding the importance of tax credits in regards to where a film is made. Unless, you can do that, which you have not done, then were just arguing past each other at this point. CA is a very wealthy state as well, wealthier than GA, I'm not sure what being a wealthy state has anything to do with tax credits and where a film chooses to do business. Yes, LA cut theirs because of budgetary woes, however NC did not so that is a moot point.

This Georgia politifact article will have more info on your claim. Which looks to be half true.

OK...imma try to get out of this again one before Newsboy gets an aneurysm.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-09-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
You're saying Turner is able to do its own production. Im sure it does some, but it wouldn't exist on its own .

It's definitely isn't known for producing content.
Yea, I completely agree. Now go back and try reading what has actually been said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City