Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Please re-read what I said. I said many Caribbean black people act and are Southern not that the Caribbean is Southern. And where do you get the notion that most southern blacks aren't embracive of Caribbean Blacks?
Carribean blacks and southern blacks don't like each other. Southern blacks are often jealous of carribeans second generation success while their economic standing stagnates. Often southern blacks will call Carribean blacks derogatory names for coming from poorer countries, etc.

Don't play ignorance. You know this, all black people know this. Even a lot of young white people who grew up with the two groups know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 12:26 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Carribean blacks and southern blacks don't like each other. Southern blacks are often jealous of carribeans second generation success while their economic standing stagnates. Often southern blacks will call Carribean blacks derogatory names for coming from poorer countries, etc.

Don't play ignorance. You know this, all black people know this. Even a lot of young white people who grew up with the two groups know this.
You are lying and I see how you how are trying to demean Black Americans by posting that we are jealous of caribbean's second generation success. You are doing this because you know that I'm Black American who says that South Florida is more Southern than people want to believe. Besides, prove that. I went to school at American in Hialeah for my sophomore year back in the late 90s. I saw no semblance of any conflicts that year. Haitians, Jamaicans, Black Americans, Bohemians chilled with each other, dating each other, etc. You will always have elements within any population where kids will be kids even within a country. But it's over with and done with when they become adults.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
You are lying and I see how you how are trying to demean Black Americans by posting that we are jealous of caribbean's second generation success. You are doing this because you know that I'm Black American who says that South Florida is more Southern than people want to believe. Besides, prove that. I went to school at American in Hialeah for my sophomore year back in the late 90s. I saw no semblance of any conflicts that year. Haitians, Jamaicans, Black Americans, Bohemians chilled with each other, dating each other, etc. You will always have elements within any population where kids will be kids even within a country.
Go call your Carribean friends "southern". The response is bound to be entertaining.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Um no. Take it from a south Floridian. We aren't southern and don't appreciate being called that. I wonder where you people crawl out of sometime. Not a single person I work with or interact with on a daily basis has a southern accent, or is southern baptist, or has a southern background, or has those nosy southern mannerisms. Posters here make nonsense up constantly.
Wow, you must live and work in some Anti-Southern vacuum if you've missed the Southern characteristics of South Florida. Unbelievable....

South Florida has to be the answer here. And listen, just so you know, South Florida isn't the only place in America with Caribbean natives or a large Caribbean population. I don't know where you think "African-Americans" and "Caribbean Americans" have this disdain of each other, but that isn't reality. Don't derail the thread with innacurate and irrelevant statements...

Old 05-30-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Wow, you must live and work in some Anti-Southern vacuum if you've missed the Southern characteristics of South Florida. Unbelievable....

South Florida has to be the answer here. And listen, just so you know, South Florida isn't the only place in America with Caribbean natives or a large Caribbean population. I don't know where you think "African-Americans" and "Caribbean Americans" have this disdain of each other, but that isn't reality. Don't derail the thread with innacurate and irrelevant statements...
That poster likes to say carribeans and southern blacks are the same, always in his vein attempts to paint south floridas African descended community as southern. He does it on practically every thread about southern culture in Florida, and it's not true, and would be offensive to the community. Similar to how the non-Hispanic white and Hispanic communities are offended to the label southern as well.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
That poster likes to say carribeans and southern blacks are the same, always in his vein attempts to paint south floridas African descended community as southern. He does it on practically every thread about southern culture in Florida, and it's not true, and would be offensive to the community. Similar to how the non-Hispanic white and Hispanic communities are offended to the label southern as well.
First of all, I've never heard him say anyone was the same. But you forget the Big Elephant in the room here: when Caribbean's move stateside, they assimilate into American culture, not the other way around. So they bring their influences with them, yet assimilate all the same...

It isn't offensive to call ANYONE Southern if they display Southern characteristics. If someone who was native to Bavaria moved stateside to South Florida and assimilated, they'd likely display 'some' element of Southernism. That isn't a bad thing. It wouldn't change that they are Bavarian....

Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Go call your Carribean friends "southern". The response is bound to be entertaining.
Call them that all the time. When I'm visiting my cousins in what was called Carol City. Nothing happens.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
First of all, I've never heard him say anyone was the same. But you forget the Big Elephant in the room here: when Caribbean's move stateside, they assimilate into American culture, not the other way around. So they bring their influences with them, yet assimilate all the same...

It isn't offensive to call ANYONE Southern if they display Southern characteristics. If someone who was native to Bavaria moved stateside to South Florida and assimilated, they'd likely display 'some' element of Southernism. That isn't a bad thing. It wouldn't change that they are Bavarian....
If someone from anywhere moved to Florida they would be assimilating to Floridas culture. NOT SOUTHERN.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
If someone from anywhere moved to Florida they would be assimilating to Floridas culture. NOT SOUTHERN.
Florida's Black culture is mostly Southern. Many of the things they do in Florida, they do in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, etc. Sorry if that annoys you. Know what a whip or a donk is? Yeah, that's done in Florida and Georgia. You know they eat fish and grits in both Florida and Georgia (as well as many other parts of the rest of the South). This is heavily done in South Florida as well. You have no idea what you're talking about as it pertains to Black culture in Florida and since that element exists, South Texas should be the easy winner of this thread because South Texas demographically and culturally especially south of San Antonio has little in common with the rest of the South.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Florida's Black culture is mostly Southern. Many of the things they do in Florida, they do in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, etc. Sorry if that annoys you. Know what a whip or a donk is? Yeah, that's done in Florida and Georgia. You know they eat fish and grits in both Florida and Georgia (as well as many other parts of the rest of the South). This is heavily done in South Florida as well. You have no idea what you're talking about as it pertains to Black culture in Florida and since that element exists, South Texas should be the easy winner of this thread because South Texas demographically and culturally especially south of San Antonio has little in common with the rest of the South.
Me and you could go back and forth all day and I have things to do. You look at a sliver of a states culture and want to think it defines it, and it doesn't. African Americans are what, 20% of south floridas population? And with a huge Carribean component that isn't southern. If you want to tell me I know nothing of floridas black culture I could say the same to you about floridas white culture, and the white culture is even further removed from southern than the black culture is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City