Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:59 PM

198 posts, read 189,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Did I say that? No.
The picture of Calhoun county along the coast had wild yucca growing. Wild yucca grow abundantly in South Texas; they are plants typical of semi-arid regions. Any yucca found in the SE US will either be a.) a species adapted to wet climates, or b.)growing in micro-climates of the SE US that are effectively semi-arid (i.e. sandy patches, wherein water drains too fast for plants to soak up). Because of the two conditions, yucca, while present in the SE US, is not very abundant like it is in South Texas.

Quote:
And what is there to explain? It's geography is coastal.
And what does that have to do with South Texas not looking like "the typical South."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:22 PM

298 posts, read 416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
The picture of Calhoun county along the coast had wild yucca growing. Wild yucca grow abundantly in South Texas; they are plants typical of semi-arid regions. Any yucca found in the SE US will either be a.) a species adapted to wet climates, or b.)growing in micro-climates of the SE US that are effectively semi-arid (i.e. sandy patches, wherein water drains too fast for plants to soak up). Because of the two conditions, yucca, while present in the SE US, is not very abundant like it is in South Texas.

And what does that have to do with South Texas not looking like "the typical South."
The "typical south" isn't coastal. At least that's what it seems like you're saying.

No matter what, to me and to the family that I have in Corpus Christi, it is the South. If you want to argue that, then take it up with the culture that is already there.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
^^ I get that. You have more experience with South Texas than I do. Corpus doesn't remind me of Gulfport or Jackson or even Pensacola. But that just tells one the South is very diverse. I have the same feeling about Miami and the rest of South Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Neither has a culture that is actually southern. But I do think the blue collar, pickup truck driving culture in south Texas has more in common with the south than the carribean/flashy culture of South Florida. So for the purpose of this thread, I would have to say south Florida deviates more, though neither is southern.
You can find the blue collar and pickup truck driving culture in South Florida and even in the Miami/FLD/WPB areas. It's just on the western side of the metro's especially in Broward and Palm Beach county. You will definitely see it in Hendry and Collier county east of the Gulf and Naples.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:26 PM

198 posts, read 189,761 times
Quote:
The "typical south" isn't coastal. At least that's what it seems like you're saying.

No matter what, to me and to the family that I have in Corpus Christi, it is the South. If you want to argue that, then take it up with the culture that is already there.
I am not necessarily arguing that South Texas isn't southern, so much as I am saying that it deviates far from the typical South, quite a bit more than anywhere in Florida, honestly. People cross the border from Mexico every day to do work/school/etc in South Texas, that is as far from typical Southern as you can get.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
I think we also gotta consider physical geography. South Texas is much drier and scrubby than the rest of the South. People talk about how South Florida is much more tropical than the rest of the South, and it is, but its kind of a transitional zone. First of all, most of the palms in South Florida aren't native to the state, and then the native ones like the sabal palmetto is found throughout the coastal south and is the state symbol for South Carolina. You have all kinds of pines, live oaks and bald cypresses there too. And of course, the Everglades. South Florida is swampy. This ties it geographically to the rest of the South, especially the Deep South. South Texas' landscape though, can't really blend in with most of the South. Its much more Southwestern.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
South Florida easily.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I think we also gotta consider physical geography. South Texas is much drier and scrubby than the rest of the South.
Exactly. South Florida is indeed tropical, but it still has the wetness associated with the Southern US climate. Meanwhile, South Texas has locations right by the Gulf of Mexico seeing annual rainfall totals less than 30 inches. This aridity is so obviously distinct from the typical South, one just has to laugh at the idiocy of all the people choosing South Florida:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browns..._Texas#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McAllen,_Texas#Climate

Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 AM

76 posts, read 69,616 times
I lived in Houston, now live in Miami Beach.

I guess this entire debate hinges on what "South Texas" encompasses which to me is not as clearly a defined region as South Florida.

If it's just the RGV then obviously no. However, towns/cities such as Corpus Christi and San Antonio feel much more traditionally Southern than any similarly sized town in SoFla.

Even in RGV, many of the Mexicans are ranchers, wear cowboy hats etc. Something that has no comparison to the urban lifestyle of Cubans in Hialeah.

As for WI Blacks - many here have accents from those regions, especially Dominicans and Haitians. It's not a proper characterization to say they're assimilated into Southern culture. In fact there is a term out here - ROB - regular old Black - to describe African-Americans.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I think south Texas is more northern Mexico than deep south Don't get me wrong, it has it's share of southern culture, but it's predominantly Hispanic down there.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:34 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What exactly isn't southern about South Florida?

One of my best friends for six years running is from West Palm, went to FAU. Her entire family lives in West Palm/Boca/Miami--they are Southern...

Every native Miami black I've ever seen DEFINITELY sounded Southern. That includes all black celebrities from there--some of which have Carribean roots--and the Miamians I've known personally. I knew two when I lived in Georgia, one of which was a Trinidadian native, and yes, she was Southern...

I knew a Latina from Miami, she was southern. Pitbull even has a southern-inspired accent. Not that I think a few speak for the majority, but come on. There are tons of celebrities FROM Miami, and they all sound southern...

I knew a white woman from Miami. Same thing...

Personally, I don't see where Miami, and South Florida on the whole, have this dissociation from the South. Having an eclectic mix of cultures means that it isn't as southern as places that don't have the same degree of culture mixes. These different cultures definitely contribute to the region's culture, but come on. Southern culture is alive and evident in South Florida--whether it's the predominant culture isn't the question; South Florida isn't really "deviant" from the South. It's just a different type of Southern....

Have really never met anyone from nor been to South Texas, unless San Antonio counts--I've met people from there (blacks, whites, and Latinos). Again the blacks were incredibly southern. The Latinos definitely had southern influences in speech, accent, and personality...
Both regions certainly have southern traits. It's funny to see Miamians deny it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City