Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:17 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

One city that stands out as odd is Anchorage. I thought that Alaska was a mecca for gun lovers looking to escape the lower 48 and their oh so tough stances on firearms. Guess they couldn't hang with the big dogs up there :P

And Fayetteville too is weird. Isn't NC supposed to be booming? And all those GA cities... Thought GA was a typical sunbelt state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I don't know why those Indiana towns are on there, but Illinois is not in good shape overall and if you don't think that has anything to do with some the reason people are leaving then you are being a fool.
I think you missed the point.

And as an Illinois resident, I'm hyper aware of the current political and fiscal issues.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Well, if you are going to willingly & repeatedly cast stones at one particular state, then in fairness I'd suggest digging & finding out why those Indiana cities are on the list too.
Seeing as I live in Chicago, I am more informed on the things happening here, so being that's the case I can see why Illinois and its cities are losing population. I am not casting stones at any state, I saying exactly what is happening. My mother for one is at the brink of losing her job due to the state crisis. When I move to Florida she might move with me if she loses her job.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Cities that lost..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
The Indiana cities aren't surprising, mostly Rust Belt type places. Same with the cities in MI and OH. I don't think anyone is surprised that Gary and Hammond are continuing to lose people. What's interesting about Illinois is that you have quite a few fairly nice Chicago suburbs losing population like Palatine, Skokie, Evanston, Hoffman Estates, Tinley Park. Then again there are some very nice California cities on that list too.

Exactly & very much in line with what I wrote here in a couple of posts yesterday.
I think that a key to better understanding what's going on in various cities & suburbs would be to crunch the available data further & see how the number of residents per housing unit is changing.
As for example, the "empty nest" syndrome can eventually catch up to and play havoc with suburban populations once a suburb has matured & it's housing stock aged on beyond the era of being brand new & full of families with children.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think you missed the point.

And as an Illinois resident, I'm hyper aware of the current political and fiscal issues.
Then you should know that Illinois at the moment is not the most attractive place to live. Outside of Chicago, and it's metro the state doesn't offer much, add on top of that the political and financial situation and we got a big problem here.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Then you should know that Illinois at the moment is not the most attractive place to live. Outside of Chicago, and it's metro the state doesn't offer much, add on top of that the political and financial situation and we got a big problem here.
Oh, now that you put it that way! I hadn't ever thought of that!!

Again, you are missing the point of the reply (and the history associated with this particular Indy booster, which goes very far back and under several other usernames, where the particular person virtually salivates of the idea of Chicago going bankrupt, Detroit becoming a complete wasteland, and even California being devastated by earthquakes).

Old 06-03-2016, 10:41 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Perhaps it has something to do with Con Agra relocating its headquarters to Chicago! And why Chicago?
Oh I don't know, maybe because it is a world class city with alot of similar industries not in the middle of nowhere?

Old 06-04-2016, 12:51 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
I think with Illinois it is also inner city suburbs, same with all the California cities. Although Illinois as a whole is in a bad shape when talking about growth. The Reason Houston or Dallas area don't have many cities is because most of the declining suburban areas that would be on the list are inside the city limits of both of these cities.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:17 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Alot of ct and oh cities

Old 06-04-2016, 07:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
One city that stands out as odd is Anchorage. I thought that Alaska was a mecca for gun lovers looking to escape the lower 48 and their oh so tough stances on firearms. Guess they couldn't hang with the big dogs up there :P

And Fayetteville too is weird. Isn't NC supposed to be booming? And all those GA cities... Thought GA was a typical sunbelt state.
Both Fayetteville and Jacksonville are military towns that are heavily transient and ebb and flow based on military activity. Additionally, NC's growth is primarily fueled by Charlotte and Raleigh where in-state migration to them tells a story of imbalanced growth than just looking at the state metrics alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City