Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would YOU choose to live, IRL
NYC 36 42.86%
Chicago 48 57.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

We all know that NYC is the "better" city by most measurables. Now that that's out of the way:

Which city would YOU chose to live in? Not the hypothetical you, but the actual YOU. Your career, your marital status, your family size. No mythical "adjusted for cost of living", but rather, based on what your field actually pays in each city.

Which city do you choose, and why?

I grew up in NYC. and spent most of my 20s there. I spent my early 30s, coupled, but unmarried in Chicago.

Neither my career nor my wife's is place-centric. I would make slightly more money in NYC than Chicago. She'd make roughly the same. Without question, we'd choose Chicago, but it offers almost everything NYC offers at a fraction of the price. Yes, NYC offers more, but there's a lot of redundancy; e.g. I'm happy with a real Chinatown...I don't need three
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
For me I would pick Chicago overall. I work in marketing and communications so there are no shortage of opportunities in Chicago. I feel I would have a much more difficult time settling in NYC due to the scale of the city and COL. At least here in Chicago I can more comfortably build my career, with a good salary and able to more comfortable start a family.

Now if I were a musician, worked in media, fashion, arts/entertainment, I would pick Chicago by far.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:40 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
I genuinely love NYC and would love to own property there if it wasn't so $$$. Hopefully it is within my price range someday

Everyone loves to b**** and moan about Chicago's taxes, but at the end of the day Chicago is still more affordable than every top tier metro in the country. You'll make more money without the draining COL found on the coasts, PLUS have all the benefits of being in a world-class city.

New York is great and I have nothing but positive things to say about the City, but if you're an average person who wants to live in the big city without compromising their financial future, the answer is undoubtedly Chicago. If you have the cash for it, I'm sure permanently residing in the trendy parts of NYC is amazing. I'm just personally turned off by/unable to responsibly afford the incredibly high rents/housing costs. Chicago allows me to experience all the benefits of living in a truly magnificent city while also saving cash for my future.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 06-10-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
I would probably love living in both cities. COL is a huge factor, though, so Chicago wins, for me.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We all know that NYC is the "better" city by most measurables. Now that that's out of the way:

Which city would YOU chose to live in? Not the hypothetical you, but the actual YOU. Your career, your marital status, your family size. No mythical "adjusted for cost of living", but rather, based on what your field actually pays in each city.

Which city do you choose, and why?

I grew up in NYC. and spent most of my 20s there. I spent my early 30s, coupled, but unmarried in Chicago.

Neither my career nor my wife's is place-centric. I would make slightly more money in NYC than Chicago. She'd make roughly the same. Without question, we'd choose Chicago, but it offers almost everything NYC offers at a fraction of the price. Yes, NYC offers more, but there's a lot of redundancy; e.g. I'm happy with a real Chinatown...I don't need three
But more people moved from Cook County to Manhattan last year than vice versa...

This thread sounds like sour grapes. If you prefer Chicago, then good for you. But the "NYC is so expensive it makes no sense to live there you're just endangering your financial future" tropes have gotten a bit old. The only real question is whether you believe it's worth the cost. It is for some it isn't for others. End of story.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But more people moved from Cook County to Manhattan last year than vice versa...

This thread sounds like sour grapes. If you prefer Chicago, then good for you. But the "NYC is so expensive it makes no sense to live there you're just endangering your financial future" tropes have gotten a bit old. The only real question is whether you believe it's worth the cost. It is for some it isn't for others. End of story.
Maybe it's old to you, but it's a legitimate reason for not moving to NYC. I would not be happy living in a city where I might have to live in a studio apartment, and I'm guessing there are many who feel that way. COL is a huge factor, like it, or not.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:30 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Why do we keep beating the dead horse? Some people value a city like Chicago and it's COL, and some people value NYC and what it offers regardless of COL. Can't we just leave it at that? I am tired of these pissing contests that lead to agressive discussions for no good reason.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I absolutely love both cities. I've lived in Chicago for 15 years and visited NYC dozens of times.

They both offer different strokes for different folks. I chose Chicago, but I've never thought one was "better than the other", it all depends on what you're personally looking for.

It's just preference. They both win.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Maybe it's old to you, but it's a legitimate reason for not moving to NYC. I would not be happy living in a city where I might have to live in a studio apartment, and I'm guessing there are many who feel that way. COL is a huge factor, like it, or not.
And I'm sure there are people who feel that the lack of action outside of NYC is a huge factor that keeps them from moving to other places. They would rather pay higher rent than be bored somewhere else. There's no point in having these threads that are 100% subjective.

It's tough to put a price tag on an experience. There are some people who don't travel not because they don't have the money to do so, but because they feel it's a waste of money. They'd rather spend $2,000 on a new TV than a trip to Turkey. Or just not spend the money at all. Imagine how much you could save if you just never took a trip anywhere.

It's sort of the same thing here. Just as there are people who feel a trip to Turkey isn't worth it, there are people who feel living in NYC isn't worth it. It all comes down to how much you value the experience.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And I'm sure there are people who feel that the lack of action outside of NYC is a huge factor that keeps them from moving to other places. They would rather pay higher rent than be bored somewhere else. There's no point in having these threads that are 100% subjective.

It's tough to put a price tag on an experience. There are some people who don't travel not because they don't have the money to do so, but because they feel it's a waste of money. They'd rather spend $2,000 on a new TV than a trip to Turkey. Or just not spend the money at all. Imagine how much you could save if you just never took a trip anywhere.

It's sort of the same thing here. Just as there are people who feel a trip to Turkey isn't worth it, there are people who feel living in NYC isn't worth it. It all comes down to how much you value the experience.
Have you ever been to Chicago? I'm an actual New Yorker. Lived there as a child and as an adult professional (in Brooklyn, Queens, upper and lower Manhattan). I know with the city really is, not what it projects. For all the talk of what it offers, many New Yorkers barely leave their neighborhood, much less the I know with the city really is, not what it projects. For all the talk of what it offers, many New Yorkers barely leave their neighborhood, much less their borough. For all of the city's sophistication, New Yorkers can be quite provincial.

Implying that Chicago "lacks action" or that there's a general "lack of action outside of NYC" comes off more dated provincial than NYC elitist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City