Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times

Advertisements

I will agree with many here, Grand Rapids will not become Michigan's primary city anytime soon. However, it does have the highest growth of major metros in Michigan. But that isn't enough.

My father and my grandparents settled in G.R., and it has always been kind of Michigan's second city. I think it will remain there for several decades to come, depending on how Detroit swims out of its quicksand, which they seem to be doing slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
I just read something saying Detroit could possibly post a gain in population soon. Id like to see if that could happen. I doubt we'll continue to lose people in high # anyway. The population loss recently was like 3,000 that's a good thing compared to the last 5 or yrs
If I recall correctly last time around Detroit was vastly overestimated. The 2009 estimate had the city at near 900,000, then the count came out at 714,000. So it is reasonable to believe that Detroit may end this decade near 600,000.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Detroit could very much be the Washington DC of the middle part of this century. People had basically written off DC when the economy tanked in the late 70s/early 80s (and the most recent recession) along with "white flight' and overall racial unrest. DC's population up through the 70s was at or above 750K. By the year 2000 it had fallen all the way down to around 575K, a loss of around 25% of residents. As of 2015 DC's population sits at 672K and is adding a healthy 2%-3% a year currently. One can see similarities between the two cities and how they've gone about reinventing themselves.
Not a great comparison. Plenty of cities went through bad times in the 70s and 80s including NYC. Literally almost every big American city lost population due to white flight and racial riots. D.C. still had a federal government to rely on though. Detroit did not.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If I recall correctly last time around Detroit was vastly overestimated. The 2009 estimate had the city at near 900,000, then the count came out at 714,000. So it is reasonable to believe that Detroit may end this decade near 600,000.
Estimates were coming off of the worst economic decade in history for the state of Michigan as well in 2010. This decade is far better. Based on past trends I would think estimates would be closer to accurate.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not a great comparison. Plenty of cities went through bad times in the 70s and 80s including NYC. Literally almost every big American city lost population due to white flight and racial riots. D.C. still had a federal government to rely on though. Detroit did not.
Not really. An overwhelming majority of those working for the federal government in DC can/do live in neighboring Northern Virginia or Maryland. Of course DC has always had the government going for it in terms of physical presence, but it did not have other types of commerce going for it back in the day and more/less still doesn't as only about a third of DC residents work for the government in some capacity.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:39 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times
Detroit may be declining but Grand Rapids is still much smaller, not even anywhere close to a major city. Detroit as someone else mentioned holds almost 50% of the state's population in its metro area. It will be the dominant city in Michigan for a very long time.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM

406 posts, read 768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Actually 2009 was one of the last years they really made an effort to count every single person and pushed the census hard. Many people live in the city but don't want to be counted because their address says somewhere in the burbs because of high insurance rates. Lastly, like last year or 2, they have been trying to come up with a plan to lower city taxes & insurance rates. Word is next yr some neighborhoods will receive lower taxes. We will see. That would help Detroit a lot because contrary to belief there are people who want to move back but taxes, insurance & schools are still a problem

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
No. It will never happen.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, because Metro Detroit also has about 40-45% of the state's population and it is because of Detroit that it is that way. If you go to the CSA, it is more like 55% of the state's population, give or take.

Also, as mentioned, Detroit has nowhere else to go but up. so, even if it improves slowly, but surely, I have a hard time seeing Grand Rapids overtaking Detroit. Keep in mind that Kent County, where Grand Rapids is located, still has about 80,000 less people than the city of Detroit. So, unless Grand Rapids pulls a Jacksonville or Indianapolis, I don't see that happening. Even then, Metro Detroit is so far ahead, that it would be tough to say that Grand Rapids is the premier city in the state.
Not only that, Detroit still has geography on its side. The Detroit River is a major waterway. Although water played a big part in how Grand Rapids grew. However, from what I've read, the river doesn't have as much commercial value. Detroit, however, still has commercial value with its river. And Detroit, being next to Canada, handles are large share of trade between the USA and Canada.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
My Dad lived and taught at Cass Tech in the mid to late 50's. I'm not sure if it was considered part of the Detroit Public Schools at the time or not. He brought me back to his old stomping grounds in the late 70's, and it was definitely "inner city". However, I understand this school is flourishing today. Good to hear that.

I have always had an affinity for Detroit, probably due to my dad's history there. He originally was from Grand Rapids, and his home was raided in 1920 when he was just one year old by US government officials who were suspicious of communist activity since his parents had been legal immigrants from the Ukraine. Yes, sound familiar today?

But Detroit was once a great city, and so was Flint. I am disheartened by events of the past 2-3 decades, but I am heartened by a "somewhat" comeback for Detroit. Nothing would make me happier than to see this city get back atleast to some semblance of a major city, not just a major metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City