Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times

Advertisements

Houston and San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:45 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Yep. Seattle ain't no sprawl city. Never was. Never will be.
the list.
NYC
Chicago
Philly
SF
DC
Boston
Seatte.
and to considerable extent, Miami.

LA is all over the map. We have Sunset Strip, Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, etc up all night.... still too areas that are alive in the day become dead-zones at night.... but, come back in 30 years and LA, Miami, and perhaps even Houston will be on the list, solid.... Some day, their downtowns and density will increase with life, and taper off in such a way as to render real, true street level, interactive urban zones 24/7.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:27 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Houston is the only one on this list were you could find borderline rural areas within the city limits. Large parts of Houston are suburban and Large parts of Houston are industrial. I have once been 6 miles south of Downtown Dallas and I couldn't tell if I was in a city or not because of all the trees and very few buildings along the highways while on the map I was surrounded by houses and neighborhoods.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
San Diego - has a pretty urban downtown, and lots of adjacent urban neighborhoods such as South Park, North Park, Normal Heights, City Heights, but gets quickly suburban outside of those areas - Neighborhoods like Mira Mesa, Ranch Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo and Carmel Valley are very suburban.

Houston - Inside 610 is about as urban as it gets there, but I've seen folks ride horseback in parts of the Third Ward and South Park, and its downtown is pretty dead after 6 pm weekdays. However, Montrose and Midtown are more or less adjacent to Downtown and are fairly active. The densest neighborhoods in Houston is Gulfton, which is not inside the loop. And there are really suburban neighborhoods like Kingwood and rural areas like Acres Homes that are well within the Houston city limits.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 06-13-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 01:33 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
I don't get why people complain about downtown districts being "dead" outside of work hours on the week day. Typically most Central Business Districts house government workers, some corporate headquarters and places where they can stop in for lunch or maybe a work reception.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Because outside of New York and Chicago for U.S cities that is the business model, on all the other continents the CBD is usually buzzing along with central neighborhoods for U.S their are central neighborhoods that surround the CBD that give you vibes but not the CBD instead.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Because outside of New York and Chicago for U.S cities that is the business model, on all the other continents the CBD is usually buzzing along with central neighborhoods for U.S their are central neighborhoods that surround the CBD that give you vibes but not the CBD instead.
To be fair, the Chicago Loop and the Financial District in Lower Manhattan are pretty dead in the evenings. The active area most people think of "Downtown" Chicago is really River North. Midtown Manhattan is a lot more active though. Even Downtown DC is pretty dead in the evening, but there's a lot of activity in the monuments area and the neighborhoods immediately to the north like Dupont and Logan Circles.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:49 PM

431 posts, read 521,996 times
Quote:
Houston is the only one on this list were you could find borderline rural areas within the city limits. Large parts of Houston are suburban and Large parts of Houston are industrial. I have once been 6 miles south of Downtown Dallas and I couldn't tell if I was in a city or not because of all the trees and very few buildings along the highways while on the map I was surrounded by houses and neighborhoods.
I know what you mean...I've google street viewed different sections of the city (Houston) and there are certain areas that I've street viewed where it looked like farm country... I legit had to zoom out to make sure that I was looking at Americas 4th largest city.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:15 PM

It is one of the reasons Houston has a lower density than Arlington, a Dallas suburb. Their are often random large spaces of undeveloped land or between a terrible neighborhood and a decent middle class area their is very little.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
It is one of the reasons Houston has a lower density than Arlington, a Dallas suburb. Their are often random large spaces of undeveloped land or between a terrible neighborhood and a decent middle class area their is very little.
All the while managing to have one of the densest urban areas in the South, following only Miami and New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City